Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Thoughts on Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser??

Hi All,

I ordered the Drunk Elephant Slaai™ Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser but prior to that I did get a sample to try.

Is it me or does anyone else notice it doesn't emulsify and wash off as cleanly as the Farmacy cleansing balm or Shu Uemura oils? 

Did you also feel like you had to wash your skin twice with cleanser afterwards?

I use Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser, and that has been my go-to for the past 8 years. I'm debating if I should suck it up and just use a touch more face cleanser to get it off.

I'm on my 3rd Faramacy cleansing balm, but thinking of not repurchasing because of the polyethylene (why is there plastic to begin with?).  

Thanks!

Re: Thoughts on Drunk Elephant Slaai Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser??

@mmmiu  I did buy the DE Slai without even trying because I just trust the brand so much. Having said that I am not sure if I will re-purchase this particular product because I feel like my skin is still quite a bit oily after washing it off (and I have to rinse a lot). I also felt texture of Farmacy Green Clean was better (I tried the sample 3 times so take it what it's worth) and it washes off easier and cleaner.

I will probably buy Farmacy Green Clean next time unless I see real great skincare benefits of Slai. I haven't used the bamboo booster yet. 

I even like the feeling, texture and wash-off of Boscia Make-up break-up oil better but it's not apple to apple comparison because one is balm and the other is oil. 

I haven't used the farmacy product, but I have used the goop cleansing balm and I loved it.  Very pricey though, so I was excited to get the DE one at such a better price point.  I do feel like it didn't clean as well as the goop one, and I even tried the "hot cloth" balm removal method.  I also needed to use about twice as much of the DE product to cover my face vs. the goop one, so there goes some of the savings.

However, even more concerning is that Slaai makes my skin red and inflamed for hours after use.  It is quite puzzling actually.  It doesn't smell very nice either, so I am wondering if I got a rancid batch.

I might try the beautycounter cleansing balm next.

Hey, when I was deciding between which one to buy last week, Farmacy or Drunk Elephant, I went with Farmacy because it's easier to spread and thinner than DE's texture. I've had experiences with a thick balm from Dermalogica and didn't like it. They feel to thick and greasy and leave an oily after feel. The reason is because of the type and chemistry of the emollients and surfactants used in DE's formulation. The emollient, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, is highly viscous by nature. The surfactant were derived from fatty acids so they have the oily afterfeel, that's just their nature. Your skin is clean though. It's a matter of taste, I guess. I personally prefer Farmacy. 

About plastic, it's used a lot in cosmetics. Think about copolymer or carbomer, all of the thickening agent, gelling agent that give us the texture we want. They are safe for us to use on the skin though! The polyethylene you see there is in a very fine powder form though. It helps with thickening the balm and also have some cleansing function ^^

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing