cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

The SPF/Sunscreen Thread: What are your faves this season? 😎☀️

Anna2BT_0-1655483874930.png

Helllooo BIC! In celebration for the first day of summer (June 21st) it’s time we put the spotlight on our friend SPF! When the days get a little bit longer and brighter, I always make sure to give my SPF-packed products a little extra love because I know they’ll be working overtime to protect my skin. 💪 Anyone else here feel the same way?

I don’t know about you, but I know my SPF collection needs a 2022 update. SO, what are your favorite products containing SPF? Whether you are diving into sunscreen for the first time, or already have some tried and true favorites, let’s use this thread to talk about all things SPF and sun protection! ☀️

There are so many great options for SPF out there – here’s a peek at my wish list as I gear up for some fun in the sun:

Leave all your SPF/Sunscreen products, comments, questions, and any other fun stuff down below!

Re: The SPF/Sunscreen Thread: What are your faves this season? 😎☀️

@CarolBT  That glow oil looks appealing!  Is it more a dry oil or on the moisturizing side?  
edit- awww not for Canadians:(. I love body oils and one with spf would be amazing! 

I haven't heard that term 'dry oil' before @heartsmyface, but it makes sense! Yeah, I'd say it's a dry oil. Just another fast and easy way to cover a lot of skin. I'm bummed it's not in Canada!! I don't know all the rules about why that is, but we (lil 'ol teambic) have been thwarted in some of our ideas for y'all in the past because of some of those nuances between the regions. Hmmm 🤔  But, we keep trying! 😍

@CarolBT oh yeah our sunscreen protection claim regulations are different up here so unless US brands either change their UV claims or conceal  them with a stealthy sticker, we don’t get to experience a lot of the same products.
 Sorry we Canadians have to be so difficult up here, but we will apologize full-heartedly for it😉all your efforts are always appreciated!!!   

@heartsmyface @CarolBT  I second this!!!

I just fished my first bottle of Biossance Squalane + Zinc Sheer Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 PA+++ 1.69 oz / 50 mL 

I have fair, sensitive/reactive skin.  I can break out in excema or rosacea on my cheeks, neck or chest. This sun screen didn't cause any flare ups for me and it felt pretty nice as far as sun screens go. Not to heavy, a little bit greasy but not too bad.  I would try this again. 

I previously used Cerave face sun screen 30 spf. (I would use this again) 

Also Nutragena 60 and 110 spf facial sun screens for sensitive skin. ( I would not use these again. To heavy a white cast on the 110 spf and the 60 spf didn't like other parts of my morning routine. Pills up easily, especially on re-applications during the day. 

In my cabinet to try out this summer are;

Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++  

Dr. Jart+ Mini Cicapair Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 15 mL/ .50 fl oz 

Elisabeth Arden CitySmart Spf 50 Broad Spectrum Sun Screen

@Anna2BT I’m all for a hybrid SPF tint for a natural, easy look. Current favs are:

Supergoop! Glowscreen SPF 40 Sunscreen with Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide 1.7 oz Sunrise / 50 mL 

Saie Slip Tint Dewy Tinted Moisturizer Three + Half 

Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays Lightweight Foundation 20 Mulholland 

Supergoop! (Re)setting Powder SPF 45 PA+++ 4.28 g 

@Sunnysmom Yesss hybrid SPF products ftw! I love SPF packed products too!

So many good choices these days @Anna2BT ! 

@Sunnysmom there are and I am totally here for it! Glad SPF is finally getting the spotlight it deserves 

@Sunnysmom I just ordered the Tower 28 Sunny Days, can't wait to give it a good shot.  I'm a fan of the SPF powders too, great for a top up or to run into my hair part.  

@missjeanie ooh adding SPF products to your hair part is a super smart move! I'm going to need to start doing that too 😊

@Anna2BT I honestly never would have thought of it, but my mom had melanoma that showed up on her scalp right along where her hair parted.  I tried using regular SPF in my hair but it always looked greasy (my brother now uses SPF in his hair as 'gel' lol.  The powder versions are super handy for my hair.  Dry Shampoo/SPF all in one lol

Tower 28 appears to be well loved on here @missjeanie , hope you like it too! Agree on powder, these little rascals are very handy! 

@Sunnysmom Once I discovered the powders it upped the game for sure.  

I really like the Clarins Multi-Active Anti-Aging Day Moisturizer with SPF 20 for Glowing Skin 1.7 oz ! I wouldn’t rely on it for a day in sun but I think it gets the job done for just running errands. 

i also always love the Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ for under makeup - a great primer and spf !!!! 

I rotate through several sunscreens on a regular basis, all year long. Some are tried and trues, others I’m testing for the first time. Some sunscreens that don’t play nice with my face, ears, and neck get used on my body instead, unless they also cause issues there. 

My SPF requirements (because we don't all have the same skin)
Spoiler
I have mostly-dry combo and quite reactive/inflammation-prone skin, plus fairly sensitive eyes. I live someplace that gets all 4 seasons—sometimes within one week. 😂 (The joy of midwestern spring and having a Great Lake in your city's front yard.) In winter, I always need a separate moisturizer under sunscreen. In summer, I can skip moisturizer depending on the sunscreen I use. My skin tone’s in the “medium-deep to deep” range. Since I don't wear liquid or cream foundation, the finish a sunscreen leaves is very important. 

Must-haves: 

• Minimum SPF of 30 
  • Broad spectrum 
  • Natural, radiant, or glowy (but not greasy*) finish; preferably a naturally radiant look 
  • Blends easily; doesn’t require lots of rubbing (otherwise my skin will flush red for hours and possibly welt up) 
  • Bonus points for at least one good moisturizing ingredient (dimethicone, shea butter, squalane, etc.) 

*In winter, I don’t mind heavier greasy sunscreens. They’re an extra layer of protection from windburn and deep-freeze dehydration. But during summer, those sunscreens are usually too much for my face to handle. Example: I’ve temporarily stopped using the thick greasy CoTZ Sensitive SPF 40 Non-Tinted Mineral Sunscreen on my face, but still use it on my body. I’ll also pick up Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel UV SPF 50 Clear again when winter returns; that one gives me super dewy glass skin in the frigid depths of January. 

Dealbreakers: 

• Noticeable white/grey/purple cast 
  • Eye stinging, if I plan to use it on my eyelids and undereyes (sometimes I'll use an eye-safe sunscreen in that area while using a different sunscreen on the rest of my face) 
  • Itchy reaction, or any bad reaction (rash, burning/stinging, etc.)  
  • Pilling 
  • Essential oils 
  • Lavender extract, water, or oil 
  • Strong fragrance or scent 
  • Very matte finish 

Currently using: 

• Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 2.5 oz / 73.9 mL - smooth silicone texture that never feels filmy on me once it settles to its natural skin finish. I usually reapply this one throughout the day, regardless of which sunscreen I began with. Works well around my eyes. In summer, it replaces my daytime moisturizer. I always travel with this one. 
  • Eucerin Age Defense Face Sunscreen SPF 50 - cream moisturizer texture that blends to a radiant, sometimes dewy finish. Never creeps into my eyes, thanks to its texture. Can feel thick/heavy in hot weather, so Im now using it more on my neck, décolletage, arms, ankles, etc. than my face. In cold weather, my face loves it. 
  • Dermstore Collection Daily Sheer Tint Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 - very silky mousse texture that blends easily to a nearly invisible natural skin finish on me, leaving a cast thats barely noticeable. Plays nice with my eyes and doesnt pill. Total sleeper product that Dermstore should market more heavily. 
  • Avene Solaire UV Mineral Multi-Defense Tinted Sunscreen SPF 50 - liquid texture that requires shaking (wish Avene had put a mixer ball in the bottle). Blends easily without pilling. Leaves no white cast on me; folks with light skin tones may wanna try the non-tinted version instead. Has a mild poster paint scent, kinda similar to ILIA Super Serum SPF 40 but not as strong or persistent: Avenes scent dissipates within 30 minutes. 
  • Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Brush-On Shield SPF 50 - I sometimes use it to tone down a too-shiny sunscreen. 
  • Eucerin Daily Hydration Hand Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30 - I keep this in my bag to reapply as hand cream on the go, especially after using hand sanitizer. It has that kinda plasticky sunscreen smell, so I'll never try it on my face. But it's not super noticeable on my hands. Not the most moisturizing hand cream, but it's a good way to ensure I keep my paws protected throughout the day. 

On deck to test: 
Spoiler
  • Native Unscented Mineral Face Sunscreen SPF 30 
  • Kinship Self Reflect Mineral Sunscreen 
  • Bondi Sands SPF 50 Fragrance Free Sunscreen Lotion 
  • Supergoop Glowscreen 
  • Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Broad Spectrum SPF 45 Hyaluronic Cloud Moisturizer 
  • Undefined R&R Sun Serum 
    Beauty of Joseon Relief Sun: Rice + Probiotics SPF 50 
    Eucerin Oil Control Sunscreen SPF 50 

I wish I could easily get my hands on La Roche-Posay's latest reformulated sunscreens with their brand new UV filters—which of course aren't available in the US because the FDA won't let us have nice things. (We still don't have tinosorbs or uvinuls, for cryin' out loud.) I need to order one of the new LRPs from overseas soon. 

Recent face failures: 
Spoiler
🖐= will test on my body next. 

• Pipette Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 🖐 - moderate white cast, and it made my forehead itch during the first 2 hours of wear. 
  • CoTZ Face Prime & Protect Tinted SPF 40 - offensively bad white cast despite the deep tint, and way too matte. This one hurt my feelings. 
  • The Inkey List SPF 30 Sunscreen - very clumpy texture that's hard to blend out, despite using the thinnest layers possible. Moderate white cast, matte finish, and it pills a bit. An all-around nope. 

EDIT: Added a couple more sunscreens to the test list. One I forgot I had; the other I forgot is on its way to me from Korea. 

@WinglessOne  The untinted Avene is nice.  Heavier than I usually gravitate toward and with a subtle white cast but it’s beauty is that it’s an even white cast so it applies like a skin brightening primer:) 

I was wondering how the tinted version worked out for you and am glad it’s a winner. 

@heartsmyface  Hmm, hearing that the non-tinted version has a white cast on you tells me not to bother trying the foil sample I got in my Ulta GWP. 🤣 I'll gift that sample to someone with a light skin tone. I'm glad it still works well for you! Good to know it can act as a skin brightening primer for some skin tones. 👍 

I've been using the tinted version since last fall. The tint is much deeper than expected, especially compared to the tints on Avene's compact sunscreens (the deepest tinted compact looks ghostly on my skin tone, so I can't imagine it working on anyone deeper than me). I was pleasantly surprised by that. 

@WinglessOne  Oh gosh no, it will turn you an undead shade of grey if your skin is any darker than medium-ish and even then it’s pushing it!   definitely one to pass on unless you have a zombie walk coming up.  

I’ve decided store bought tinted sunscreens are not for me cause they all seem to assume the end goal is a tan, but I have discovered the wonderful world of mixing high spf foundation into sunscreen and creating my own.  
I haven’t tried the compact sunscreens.  I’ll have to check for those. Ghostly is my jam! 😝 👻 

I am using Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++   on my face as it can double as a primer.   On the rest of me I use Coppertone Sport spray spf 50 @Anna2BT 

I use Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ on the face.

On my body I use a spray sunscreen by Copertone

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos12
  • Anna2BT_0-1655483874930.png
  • supergoop.jpg
  • D075D5BA-9789-4E9C-915B-EAB1F4A53120.jpeg
  • E8CFE630-1C25-4A08-B8F9-5847FF385C65.jpeg
  • 8414A7FF-69B5-4C97-906D-307124D39D1B.jpeg
  • A7664AB5-E2B5-439F-BDEA-C4FEF94576E0.jpeg
  • Anna2BT_0-1656098473090.png
  • Tinted mineral SPF.jpg