cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Tag! Summertime SPF

SPF Image.jpg

Summer is my favorite time of year, by far! It's sunny and usually full of fun outdoor activities and maybe even trips to tropical destinations if we’re lucky enough!

Summer is also the season of SPF so in celebration of summer, we thought it would be fun to play a (virtual) game of tag! I’m going to start the game below and share the rules for how to play:

1. Share your favorite summer getaway where sunscreen is a must!
  2. Tell us your favorite SPF for summertime sun protection.
  3. Tag a friend (or three!) to hear their favorites.*

Oh and if you haven’t been tagged yet but are really excited about sunscreen go ahead and share your faves below!

*Make sure you're @mentioning the person you want to tag so they get a notification!

SPF 2.jpg

Re: Tag! Summertime SPF

@blueviolet21

Thanks for the tag! I'm honored to be mentioned ☺️

But I also squirm a bit at the subject matter as I'm horrible with SPF, so this is where I admit I rarely wear it 🤣

I work from home and rarely leave the house (hermit!) so it's never been part of my normal routine. If a day involves the beach or a pool, I'll think about it then, but outside of that it never crosses my mind. 

I don't have a favorite, other than I prefer creams to sprays (the first time I used a spray, nearly 20 years ago on a trip to Hawaii, I wound up with a polka dot sunburn...red skin covered in white dots. What a sight! I gave up sprays forever as apparently I can't apply them worth a flip lol)

My favorite vacation is anything involving a beach; all the better if there's a cruise ship involved. Tropical, sunny, lazy getaways are the best!

I admit that I'm lazy and scrolling through this many posts on my phone to see who has or hasn't been tagged yet is no fun, so I'm gonna throw out some of the Ulta peeps and hope they haven't been mentioned yet:

@itscarin@BrwnSugaG@ClassicallyFab@iwantitfree@myumew@KatieJiang

Thanks @RGbrown. @Ispend2much6 tagged me earlier. Sounds like. I'll be staying away from sprays, lol. @RGbrown, I was thinking of you while cleaning my new MAC brushes. Make sure you keep in mind that half the bristles are synthetic and half are natural. I started cleaning one with straight cleanser, and really should've been using Dawn with oil, or whatever. 😬 

I probably am only out in the sun an hour at a time or so, so as a family we love the new Coppertone Whipped for our bods, but I'm lacking for spf in face creams. We go to the pool, but absolutely love the beach. If it were to up to me, I'd be in the mountains at a lake, or at the ocean. I already tagged @@mermadelove.

If I weren't ghostly I would be lazy with SPF too. I am also hermit-like so can relate on that score @RGbrown. Polka dot sunburn!! That sounds terrible.

I totally agree with you that beachy vacations are the absolute best. My dad told me that there's a derogatory term for beach vacations now, they're called "fly and flop" vacations. I was like... but this is exactly what I want to do on my vacation! Fly to Hawaii... flop on beach. Why is this bad...lol. I'm not the most energetic person you will find on vacations, that's for sure.

Thanks for the tag @RGbrown! My first time getting involved in these types of convos, but of course i don't have much to say on the topic.

I'm pretty bad w/sunscreen in general. I think I can get away w/it more living in SF (and being brown) but I know all the info about there still being harmful uv rays, despite it not being sunny. And of course, that darker skinned ppl can actually get skin cancer. Also, having more pigmented skin, I don't burn as quickly as most, so I don't think to use spf everyday. I do carry around foil samples I've received for when i'm driving and can feel one arm starting to get all the sun and get tingly. But I really should be better about it and maybe this thread will help with all these great suggestions!

I'm also severely vitD deficient (student life) and besides taking supplements everyday, i really do need to get outside more often. I definitely use makeup products that include some amount of spf - bb creams (Benefit Big Easy), and primers but I'll make a point to look into it - especially since SF summer is around the corner! 

As for vacation spots, i definitely miss a real summer in july/august - like the kind NY has! but as a destination, I haven't traveled much actually (again, student life) but I did do an all-inclusive trip to Punta Cana in the DR years ago - that was amazing and I definitely stayed protected! I was hoping to get to LA or Tahoe this summer, but I will be heading to Minnesota in September - hopefully I'll get a taste of whatever's left of the midwest summer. Happy Sunday everybody - it's sunny today!

*edit - Oops, I forgot to tag! Still new to this - dunno if you guys have been tagged already @ohheyitscindyk@shimmerbait

Oops, I am super late- didn't get an email notification for some reason! Thanks for tagging me, @BrwnSugaG! 🙂

It's embarrassing to admit how bad I am with sunscreen.. I honestly only slather it on when I'm on vacation, when I should be doing that every day. I'm also a student, so I try to justify it with the fact that I'm only outdoors when I walk to & from the car, but I know that that's not an excuse, & it's not enough to just use makeup that just has a bit of SPF in it. I'm still looking for that one product that won't break me out, dry me out, or both. And one that doesn't give me a white cast or have a strong scent haha. Anyway, I'm going to add everyone's suggestions to my loves list immediately! 🙂

I haven't been on a "real" vacation in a while, but you bet I wore a ton of sunscreen last year during a week-long Caribbean cruise! The sun just "feels" differently there, if that makes sense.. And, as my Barbadian friend put it, "There are fewer places to hide from it!" 😄

@blueviolet21 Fly and flop sounds perfectly complimentary to me, not derogatory in any way 😋

I'm actually fairly ghostly. Not the palest person ever, but definitely on the light end of the light spectrum. After a summer of light incidental sun exposure, my arms and chest get reasonably tan... farmer's tan so to speak, from the assorted tank tops I typically wear around the house and doing yard work. But my legs, stomach, back, etc...blinding white! All they do is burn, peel, and go back white. Anytime I'll be out in a bathing suit, I hit the sunscreen pretty hard... but sadly that's pretty rare for me lately. 

RE: Tag! Summertime SPF

Favourite place to go-beach and hike. Favourite sunscreen for face- Clarins spf 50 and for body- ombrelle spf 45+

Thanks for the tag @ElleElleG!

Favorite sunscreen-required getaway...I have to admit I've become more of an indoor cat over the years, but I can't resist the call of some poolside time wherever it may be!

Favorite SPF...The Ole Hendriksen Protect The Truth was my go-to, and I've been testing a variety of replacements since it was discontinued. So far, the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF 50 has been my favorite. I also love the Supergoop Sun Defying Sunscreen Oil (also 50) for its ray-busting and moisturizing superpowers. I'm planning to check out the Dr. Dennis Gross Dark Spot Sun Defense, as I'm fair and prone to freckling. 

Tagging... @SheWhoSkis @lyravega and @Mochapj hoping they'll have some insights  on organic/natural options!

Favorite summer getaway... I'm going with Rivera Maya in Mexico. Closer to home would be walking the dog or taking my son to the park. 

When it comes to sunscreen, I am really lazy. I also only burn if I'm in the sun without sunscreen for more than 30 minutes. I typically wear long pants anyway, so when I go outside, I just throw on a long sleeve shirt and a wide-brimmed sun hat. For the beach, it's board shorts, sports bra, long sleeved rash guard, and a sun hat as well.

For the parts of my body that still need covering, I use products by Goddess Garden exclusively. It is a great mineral sunscreen. I do like the Josie Maran mineral lotion/primer as well (spf 47 or something like that) for my face, but typically, I just roll with a sun hat. It's fast and I'm lazy. 

Thanks for the tag @niki172  @unfungirl @darkiceis

I must admit that across the years I have been terrible with applying SPF.  For the longest there was (& still is) a pretty dominant myth that POC didn't need SPF.  Unfortunately it took me getting a slight sunburn/spot on my face during a work retreat for me to look into SPFs.

I keep things pretty simple.  For my face I apply Neutrogena Clear Face with SPF 55 daily, which fortunately does not increase my insane oilyness.  Oftentimes I will wear the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer with SPF 15 and or a foundation with SPF like Lancome Teint Idole (15).  For body I usually spray something like Coppertone with SPF 50.

The Supergoop Setting Mist (SPF 50) is on my list of items to try.

Tagging @heartsmyface @Mcakes @MarciaBrady

So because I live in FL my favorite summer destination is anywhere colder - last year we went to Maine and Quebec, year before Montana and Alberta - nothing better than fresh air in summer.

As I try to stay away from sun I don't have a favorite sunscreen I usually grab one of my husband's - he is a tennis coach, out on the sun all day so he uses Neutrogena 110 on face and 70 on body. I'm pretty pale and I burn easily so if we go to the beach I use at least 50 and try to stay under umbrella. 

By the way I read interesting article that stated that 75% US drugstore suncreens couldn't be sold in EU due to dangerous ingredients. 🙁 

Edited to fix the lack of space thanks to the horrible app text box.

Thanks for the tag @jozkid!

I am really lax when it comes to sunscreen. I wear it when I think I'll be outside for a longish periods of time or if I'm on vacation. I agree @greenchilli that sunscreen is a personal thing. I don't tan easily and I rarely burn. I take care to protect my face but the rest of my body barely needs it. A tan can also last almost a full year on me...I do use Hawaiian Tropics SPF 30 or 50 if I'm spending the day outside with little shade.

My daily primer Hourglass Veil Mineral contains SPF 15 which is enough for me personally. If I need additional face SPF I just use whatever I have on hand....I am still using up the Sun Safety kit from a couple of years back. I do prefer physical sunscreen vs. chemical sunscreen because I'm worried that chemical ones will cause a skin reaction. I do like Josie Maran's Argan Sunscreen SPF 47 and Shiseido's SPF 50 since they are both physical sunscreens and have not caused a reaction.

My favourite place that requires sunscreen is St. Martin in the Caribbean...preferably on a catamaran sailing somewhere or on a beach in Grand Case ☺️

I'm not sure who has been tagged already so sorry if you have! @meganlisa @vegchililover78 @RoseCharlie

I am sorry if my reply is all bundled into one huge paragraph...on the app which still needs lots of work! @KatieBT

1. Camp or the beach at camp. 2. I forget what its called but it is really good and dermatologist recommended. 3. I'm pretty new here so I don't really know anyone.

Thanks, @txcatx.

1. Share your favorite summer getaway where sunscreen is a must!

I never go anywhere.  I pretty much don't leave the house unless I have to. 

2. Tell us your favorite SPF for summertime sun protection.

I don't wear sunscreen because I avoid going out into the sun.  Walking from my office to the car is about it for me.  You can count that as my natural vitamin D exposure.

3. Tag a friend (or three!) to hear their favorites.

Is @lylysa still around?

I miss @lylysa and @DiVWA.  Hope they are both doing well! 😉

Thanks for the tag @blackkitty2014. I hope all is well with you!

I'm not sure I've got a favorite summer getaway. I feel like there are still way too many places to explore to narrow down to a favorite. This summer we've been going to various state/national parks so I guess I'll call them my favorite for now.

While I think mineral sunblocks are better on my skin, as a loyal Consumer Reports reader, I stick with the ones they've tested and recommended. For the last two years (at least), they've not found one mineral sunblock that actually works at even half the product claim's SPF. Granted, they didn't test some popular ones used by people here (they tested mostly drugstore type brands), but their findings give me pause. So for everyday walking around (where my sun exposure is through a window of a car or briefly walking from the car to a building), I'll use a mineral sunblock like JM's one. But for working in my garden, going to beach, hiking and other outdoor activities, I use either No Ad sunscreen (last year's batch) or this year's top rated Equate Sport Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50. However, both of these chemical sunscreens cause me to get breakouts here and there so I remove them as quickly as I can once I'm indoors.

Thank you @mrsbaine and @MissPuff for tagging me.

I am the odd ball for this question.  I spent my childhood in India and the summers were hot and dry where I lived.  110F - 115F was typical.  I have had my share of summer,  I don't see the novelty of summer like many do.   We were out in the sun because we had to be, not because we missed it (cuz it never went away).  I live in a warm place now too.  In summer, I enjoy cooler getaways.

Spoiler
Editorial:  Nobody in my family wears SPF.  It is not a thing.  Sun needs are different for everyone, I wish more people would appreciate that.  I am not pale, I don't burn.  My body needs the sun to function properly.  I always got at least a few hours of direct sun daily all my life.  In the west, I have terrible Vit D deficiency, and I feel the impact of sun deprivation on my health and immunity.  I need more daily sun.....

To put it out there - I am not about the SPF life.  I wear it only when I absolutely need it to avoid "overexposure".

1. Share your favorite summer getaway where sunscreen is a must! - Vancouver or San Francisco (in the US).  
  2. Tell us your favorite SPF for summertime sun protection - I do SPF through makeup.  Bobbi Brown BB cream.  If going skiing or hiking, I might do Omorovicza.  
  3. Tag a friend (or three!) to hear their favorites.* @blackkitty2014

i feel you. when i was younger my friends would bring oils to the beach to get tan. i'd slap on crazy high spf and get yet yelled at for "getting darker" when i got home. but now, i get depressed when there's no sun out (like yesterday - summer in SF!).

@BrwnSugaG

I didn't grow up near the beach....and I never remember a beach vacation either.   I don't relate to the whole beach thing, even today.   SPF and sun tan oils, all of it has been alien to me for the most part.

Maybe if I grew up near a beach I would be more about the beach life.

The sun was a part of life growing up.  We didn't try and get less, or more,  it just stayed in the background while we lived our lives.  Walking, running errands, playing, whatever.....

What an interesting answer! The Vitamin D thing is such a good point; I've always lived in the Northeast or Chicago so the sunless, dreary winters that seem never ending...definitely takes a toll. I completely forget about daily sun time till my doctor reminds me of my vit D deficiency during annuals. 

1 Reply
testing