cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Tag! Summertime SPF

SPF Image.jpg

Summer is my favorite time of year, by far! It's sunny and usually full of fun outdoor activities and maybe even trips to tropical destinations if we’re lucky enough!

Summer is also the season of SPF so in celebration of summer, we thought it would be fun to play a (virtual) game of tag! I’m going to start the game below and share the rules for how to play:

1. Share your favorite summer getaway where sunscreen is a must!
  2. Tell us your favorite SPF for summertime sun protection.
  3. Tag a friend (or three!) to hear their favorites.*

Oh and if you haven’t been tagged yet but are really excited about sunscreen go ahead and share your faves below!

*Make sure you're @mentioning the person you want to tag so they get a notification!

SPF 2.jpg

Re: Tag! Summertime SPF

Thx you @greenchilli.  Speaking of SF, arent you due for a SF visit? 😉

@blackkitty2014

I am due!  My travel this year has been non-existent.  Soon......

Hi BT!  @jen143xo  Come back! ;')

Taking good care of my skin is my Anti-Aging Battle!  SPF & H2o are my weapons. My lifelong go-to SPF is Clinique Super City Block SPF 40 (nose will not turn red) since it is 'oil-free' and the formula never made me feel slick or break-out.   Now, I have so many SPF minis and use whatever I grab but lately been reaching for Dr. Jart Sun Fluid SPF 30 (great formula for neck/chest) and Drunk Elephant Umbra SPF 30 (thick! awesome for eye area since it doesn't run).

As far as travels Cancun is my home away from home bc of the 2 hour flight.  I am a spa junkie!!!  Especially love Vichy Shower, Thalasso and anything high pressure water jets!  Keeps your skin so clean, toned and tight!!! 

Spoiler
Nha Trang. Asia has the best Spas!  Esp. when they beat ur body wt Eucalyptus bunches. HA!Nha Trang. Asia has the best Spas! Esp. when they beat ur body wt Eucalyptus bunches. HA!

That spa sounds so cool.  I love Cancun too @wheeeee.  So jelly that you are only 2 hour away.  Nowaday, there are many direct flights from the west coast but back when we went, it took us literally all day to get there.  This thread makes me want to travel again.  😉

@blackkitty2014  The West coast has Hawaii! ;')

But, S. Florida!  Now, they have easy access to all those cruises for cheap! That is like travel hub gold!  (and, no flying!!  well, maybe only one-way depending on your itinerary).

Thank you @tsavorite for the tag 🙂 

My favorite sunny place is on my own property. I love my private resort! I also love Santa Barbara CA, most CA beaches and Hawaii ❤️

i like to stick with mineral sun block. I do change things up constantly as I use up product because there ialways seems to be something new and better. Right now my combo is Bareminerals prep start, Drunk Elephant, MyChelle, Dermatone Z cote and It cosmetics CC illumination.

I'll tag @NancieNano @meganlisa @notcreative 

I just went to beach yesterday. Got super burned using the SuperGoop Oil (the cream is good but it was my first time trying the oil) on my body. The tarte sunscreen on my face did a much better job.

Thanks for the tag @mrsbaine !
I am definitely quite pale, prone to burning, taking medications that make me even more photosensitive, and have pretty sensitive skin.
1-The beach, any beach, requires even more vigilance in terms of reapplication than the day to day. I live in The South and have a bunch of tattoos so sunblock is my bff year-round.
2-Lately I've been using Coola unscented sport spf50 for my body
http://www.sephora.com/sport-continuous-spray-spf-50-unscented-P395723?skuId=1693977&icid2=products%...

and because I did get some color (😮) Supergoop! CC cream spf 35+
http://www.sephora.com/cc-cream-daily-correct-broad-spectrum-spf-35-sunscreen-P386793?skuId=1630334&...

or Kate Somerville UncompliKated spf 50 makeup setting spray

http://www.sephora.com/uncomplikated-spf-50-soft-focus-makeup-setting-spray-P419712?skuId=1934686&ic...

3-I think everyone I'd be likely to tag has been tagged 😳

Thanks for the tag @blackkitty2014! This is a fun game. I am a bit obsessive about SPF since I am as pale as a sheet and burn easily. (Sidenote: the picture Katie chose for the post made me laugh because my mother is fairly relaxed about life in general and has never harangued me about SPF. My mother is always bugging me in summer about why I don't relax and get a tan already. She does not love it when we're sitting outside and I'm wrapped in scarves and a sun hat. ) Anyway, SPF. I have trouble with chemical sunscreens like many-- I haven't isolated which ingredients bother me though I think it may be avobenzone or some ingredients used to stabilize avobenzone. My favorite mineral sunscreens are Kate Somerville Daily Deflector Waterlight SPF 50+, Skinceuticals Sheer Physical Defense SPF 50, and Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47. The Kate Somerville and Skinceuticals are similar-- both fluid-y ones that you have to shake first-- except the Kate Somerville has a higher percentage of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and is more expensive. The Josie Maran sunscreen is the creamiest sunscreen I've found for dry skin and I use it often on my irritated neck.

In terms of getaways requiring SPF... I'm going to be boring and say Maui. Our friends have a condo on Ka'anapali Beach that they've loaned to us a few times, and it's been bliss every time we've stayed there. I would like to explore Kauai more though as I've heard it's beautiful.

I tag @sister13 and @RGbrown!

@blueviolet21, Maui is not boring at all. We was staying at Ka'anapali last time. One of our favorite thing to do is take an early morning walk along the boardwalk from end to end 😉 You will probably like Kauai too. It is small but very green and a whole lot cheaper than Maui in general 😉 Oh and it has lots and lots of hiking trails 😉

RE: Tag! Summertime SPF

@ClassicallyFab. Thanks for the tag! I always buy SPF with my little one in mind! I love the BabyGanics sunscreen because it's organic natural and effective. I also love a combo bug repellant and sunscreen by Deter that you spray on and it smells AMAZING. That one is all natural as well. For my face I just use foundations or primers that have SPF@like bareMinerals prep set. My favorite summertime haunts are New England beaches on Martha's Vineyard or upcountry Maine. Cool and divine! I'd love to hear from @veronika23 !

Re: RE: Tag! Summertime SPF

Thanks @mermadelove 🙂 I posted somewhere in this thread lol... there is no better place to be in summer than at the cottage by the lake 😉

@Ispend2much6  it's not that I don't like sand... it's just I love cottage country 😄

@veronika23  I'm with you. I don't need (or like) sand. 😉  I'm just a grump.

RE: Tag! Summertime SPF

I was just reminded of the importance of a quality sunscreen when I thought I could get by using drugstore spray SPF while on vacation. 10 days in Key West and the worst break out of my life later I will be ordering some more of my sunscreen favorite Supergoop asap!

Mineral and physical sunscreens cause me to break out -- not cool at all!!  So I am left with chemical sunscreens.  I did a bunch of research for truly acne friendly sunscreen and found my holy grail: Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence.  It's SPF 50+, PA++++, and cost $35 for a three-pack on Amazon.  Plus, it doesn't harm ocean life, a problem I recently learned about.  Also, because it's a chemical sunscreen, it doesn't produce any flashback with flash photography!

My favorite destination where sunscreen is an absolute must is HAWAII!  Sunscreen is a must everyday, but I live in it when we go to the islands.  With the Biore, I noticed I only need to reapply it at around 2pm, and it protects me all. day. long.  With no breakthrough burns, or breakouts!  

I would tag 3 friends, but I'm still pretty new here and am intimidated by the cliches, so I keep mostly to myself 😞

@lostaloha, i love love Big Island.  Have a great trip! I'm so jelly 🙂  You make me think about snorkeling and poke right now 😉

Welcome @lostaloha.  I love Hawaii too.  Which island is your favorite?

@blackkitty2014 <3<3 The Big Island is my favorite! We are going in a few weeks and I'm so excited, I just order more sunscreen!

Thanks for the tag, @MissPuff! I tried to see who hasn't been tagged, but that was challenging. I'll tag @myumew and @willa25 and @Titian06

My favorite summer getaway...that's tough to answer because I try not to go to the same place twice in an effort to go places I've never been! I love Rome because I love history and ruins. But I also really like Marfa, Texas, which is a cute, artsy town in that middle of the desert.

As for sunscreen, I'm one for avoiding the sun, and I enjoy the luxury of going from the garage at my apartment to the garage at work without ever stepping foot in the 105 degree heat here in Texas. But I do make sure my makeup has SPF; I use Smashbox BB Cream or Nars Tinted Moisturizer most days. If I need additional sunscreen, like body sunscreen, I use generic spray sunscreen from the grocery store or drugstore. Or Neutrogena face sunscreen.

@txcatx @wheeeee

Yes! Marfa is so neat. You kind of have to know what to do and have a game plan or you might feel like you missed the city lol. Population of about 2,000 I believe. It's like a step back in time 🙂 Marfa is what I imagine Austin was 40-50 years ago before it became what is is now. 

1 Reply
testing