Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

TLC Sukari Babyfacial

Ok so my friend went state side and grabbed me a bottle of babyfacial so I used it last Sunday and did it for 20 mins like the instructions said and after I washed it off my face was burning so bad and super red. It hurt all night but by morning my face was super soft. So I’m a sucker for punishment so I tried it again. And burning again. I’m super bummed about it. It must just be to much for my skin. I already use TLC framboise and I’ve never had an issue with it. Is there another product similar I’ve been looking but I haven’t found something.  Any ideas?? 

Re: TLC Sukari Babyfacial

From your other posts here @averylayne, sounds like your skin might be up for it, too😄 

@eshoe adding it to the list haha 

@ather  For a long time I was only able to keep it on for 10 minutes and then I would rinse and immediately put on Lala retro and Marula oil. Then I read that you could mix it with Lala and I tried it and now I can leave it on for the full 20 minutes. I only use it once every week to 2 weeks. 

@faeriegirl  That’s really good to know. I’ve been wondering if it was normal for people to have a reaction!

Thanks for tagging @eshoe  

@ather  I haven’t had a chance to read through all the messages (at a work Conf so schedule is tight) so you might have gotten a lot of good advise already. I will share what has worked for me.

when using babyfacial:

* make sure you haven’t used retinol day before (or even TLC) else it’s too much exfoliation

* wash with gentle cleanser

* mix babyfacial with bit of Lala and 2 drops of oil (Marula or Squalane)

* wash off in 15 min, then first layer Consonant HydraExtreme - it’s superb giving you hydratuyand safest product

next - mix oil and Lala and apply

top it off with F-Balm

Next morning :

*wash just with water, your skin literally lost the top layer. Use non-reactive soothing products from above. 
* Avoid makeup where you would have to do a lot of buffing with a brush, use beauty blender
Night: still no actives, wash with Slaai or another oil, hydrate & moisturize more.

I mostly use it bi-weekly else it’s too much for my skin. 
I don’t have to mix Lala into anymore and apply straight after cleansing and for 20 min.

so after few uses you should be able to. Hope this works for you.

@naturalooks15  Thank you for all your suggestions I will definitely look into everything!!!

RE: TLC Sukari Babyfacial

@ather As far as ingredient content, the Ordinary’s BHA and AHA peel is quite similar. You wash it off after 10 minutes. However, you may have a similar reaction as it is pretty intense. The Sukari Facial works well with my skin, but Framboos doesn’t. I think it is the glycolic acid. Have you always had a reaction to lactic acid?

Re: RE: TLC Sukari Babyfacial

@6come6  I can’t remember having a reaction to lactic acid. I use THE ORDINARY - Alpha Lipoic Acid 5% on rare occasions and had no reactions. I think the ordinary version won’t be available in Canada as well. I got this one from the states. 

RE: Re: RE: TLC Sukari Babyfacial

@ather I am glad you were able to find an alternative acid. Although unfamiliar with that acid, I hope it works for you. In the case you also open to use lactic acid serums, I highly recommend Good Genes and Biossance’s lactic acid with squalene. Best wishes!

@ather I agree with @eshoe .  When I was using Babyfacial consistently every weekend, and sometimes twice a week, I had zero redness and was fine.  Since I was off actives since September, I used Babyfacial today for the first time again and I was red after I removed it for a few hours.  I have a bad habit of forgetting about the length of time I've had it on, so I may have been a bit over 20 minutes.  I would suggest avoiding your DE TLC the night before and after your next Babyfacial and cutting back your time.  I really do think it's a great mask, it's just one that you need to be a wee bit careful with.   Let us know if you give it another shot!

That’s a good point, @missjeanie. For me, a combo of TLC and subsequent dermaplaning was just too much. I was also using a stronger derma planing tool which may have contributed to my mess😉 @ather 

@eshoe   That sucks your poor skin was such a mess. I haven’t tried detmaplaning yet. Do you do yours at home? Is your skin getting back to normal? 

It was in the worst shape it’s been in for years, @ather. It’s normally very smooth and the texture was hard to deal with-I really didn’t know what to do, I had no experience with it. 

I started out using the Shiseido dermaplaning disposable razors, would 100% recommend. I bought a more expensive tool and while it does do a more thorough job, my skin isn’t quite ready for it so it’s a greater learning curve than I expected. The results are worth it but the process and after-care are very time-consuming.

Skin is back to normal now, healed about 80% after the first week thanks to @naturalooks15’s suggestions. I’m starting to use a scheduler now for products like the DE, Prism, and dermaplaning, so they are more evenly spaced out and this doesn’t happen again:)

@eshoe  I’m glad you found a better schedule for everything that’s working for your skin!! It can be very frustrating when things get really bad. I’m glad your skin bounced back some what fast!!! 

@missjeanie  I only use TLC framboise Monday Wednesday and fridays since my skin is so sensitive and I don’t find I need it more then that but I will definitely avoid it tomorrow!! I was so hoping this would be amazing for me. 

@ather oh nooooo!!!!! Ok I think all may not be lost, do not give up the hope just yet!

First, 20 minutes is a long time in my mind to leave the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mLon, especially for the first time. How soon after did you try it again?

Last month, I used it and derma planed immediately after. I damaged my skin's moisture barrier significantly and spent a week using only a repair/SOS type skincare routine. I had redness, raised welts, and a rough skin texture that took weeks to heal.

What else is going on with your skin right now? You may need a break for awhile from acids/exfoliants of all types, could have been just a case of too much, too soon.

@eshoe  I thought all hope was lost as well but thanks for keeping my hopes up!! Last week when I tried it I did my normal routine and I’ve added in a pore vacuum. I didn’t think the pore vacuum would have made it worse but who knows. I use the pore vacuum on Wednesday and I did the babyfacial on Sunday. Other products I’ve been using is TATCHA - The Deep Cleanse Exfoliating Cleanser 

Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL

SK-II Anti-Aging Facial Treatment Essence 5.4 oz/ 160 mL

Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum

BIOSSANCE - Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil

Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Night Cream + Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz / 59 ml

and a few other sheet masks. I think that’s everything. Oh and my eye creams right now my night is Kiehl's Since 1851 Midnight Recovery Eye 0.5 oz/ 15 ml and my day time is Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL and Tatcha The Pearl Tinted Eye Illuminating Treatment Moonlight

there I think that’s everything now. My friend also picked one up for herself and did the whole 20 mins and had no redness at all. I know I have sensitive skin so I should know better to not leave it on that long but I didn’t even think about it.   And I tried it again today so I waited a week. 

@ather, it may be that the amount and frequency of actives you are using is too much for your skin. You know your skin best and what it can tolerate and what it responds well to. It seems though that if you’re using Framboos 3 times per week, a pore vacuum on another day and the Tatcha cleanser (which has exfoliating ingredients in it), your skin, especially if it’s sensitive, may not be able to take another active, particular one as potent as Babyfacial. 

Occasionally I may go heavy with a rotation of the acids / actives, but I normally use Babyfacial (or a similarly strong product) once per week or once every other week depending on my skin. I’ll also refrain from using a peel or a strong exfoliating treatment or active for a couple days before as well as a couple of days after using Babyfacial.

@athermy skin is not sensitive at all, I’ve had reactions to two masks in the past couple of years, one being adzuki beans (random). 

It sounds to me like this was just too much for your skin at this time, especially with the pore vacuum. Your skin might need a rest and some gentler TLC for the time being.

@eshoe  I think your right. Maybe in the summer my skin will be in better shape. 

Maybe, @ather - but we gotta take care of your skin right now!

1) Cleanse-very gentle, if even at all. An oil, balm, something soothing.

2) Consonant Hydrextreme- if you can, buy it. It works wonders @naturalooks15 thoughts?

3) Moisturizer-Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

4) More good moisturizer, I used Drunk Elephant F-Balm™ Electrolyte Waterfacial Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL. Maybe you could pick up a sample?

Also-a restoring essence (oh this is where my love for snail really took hold). the CosRx makes a snail mucin essence that is gross and works beautifully if you’re game.

65 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 215 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos2
  • 20200224_204213.jpg
  • A8988171-EE08-4666-88A7-97319D782323.jpeg
testing