Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Sunless tan reviews! ๐Ÿ’‹

As an avid sunless tanner user since I was in high school (we wonโ€™t mention how long ago that was ๐Ÿ˜ถ), Iโ€™ve always used ones with a built in bronzer โ€œguideโ€ so I can see where Iโ€™ve applied it.

We just recently purchased a hot tub, and Iโ€™d like to get in it without a visible ring of bronzer flowing through to the filter. Iโ€™ve been trying to buy sunless tanners without any bronzer so I can avoid the embarrassing ring of bronzer.

I bought $300+ of different sunless tanners that are clear upon application. I based my purchase choices on brands Iโ€™ve used in the past and reviews. Come to find out the majority of these reviews are from people who received the product for FREE so theyโ€™d write a review. Nowโ€ฆ I may be blonde, but baby, I do not trust these reviews. I donโ€™t trust these reviews.

has anyone requested Sephora ban these types of reviews? As soon as a product is launched on the makeup side, thereโ€™s tons of these paid reviewers, but itโ€™s infiltrated my beloved sunless tanners, and Iโ€™m frustrated.

my brother had stage 4 cancer at age 31 (in remission for going on two years now, thankfully),  but skin cancer (melanoma) runs in my family, and Iโ€™m trying to do as much as I can to prevent ending up in the situation. I use sunless tanner because of this, and Iโ€™d rely on Sephora to have accurate reviewers from people like myself. Iโ€™d prefer not to look like a streaky cheese puff. The integrity is in question! 

any feedback would be greatly appreciated xoxo

Re: Sunless tan reviews! ๐Ÿ’‹

First, SO happy to read that your brother is in remission. How wonderful!

Second, I love your thoughts on this! Couldnโ€™t agree more. I havenโ€™t looked into making any type of formal complaint, but as others suggested I have filtered them out and definitely do not put any weight into paid reviews.  It is a terrible trend and hoping Sephora takes a stance against these types of reviews, but I am happy they are transparent about them so we can filter them out.

Finally, can you share your fav self tanners?!? I have used sublime bronze products for years but sick of the smell and feel like itโ€™s probably time to upgrade. Isle of paradise vs st tropez?

Thank you for your kind words! He actually just got a PET scan, and heโ€™s still in remission! Woo! 

Iโ€™ve tried both, and I think I like isle of paradise more. I was a St Tropez fan for years prior!

However, I just tried b. tan and was super impressed! I just bought four more bottles. 

@sloves14 If you click on "verified purchases" in the review area you'll filter out a lot of those.  I believe verified purchases are reviews from people who have purchased the product on their Sephora account.  

Melanoma runs in my family as well and has taken the life of my mother.  I too use SPF like crazy and rely on sunless tanner.  I'm super pale and no longer go for much of a 'tan' look, but I use the St. Tropez in shower gradual tanner and quite like it.  I haven't noticed anything in my hot tub by way of colouring at all over the last 5 or 6 years of using this one. 

Thank you for your marvelous recommendation! I appreciate it.

I, too, am very pale naturally. I am incredibly sorry to hear about your mother, and I am sending all the love I possibly can your way. Having a family member impacted makes you realize what matters and what truly doesnโ€™t. It puts things into perspective.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing