Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Stubborn Hormonal Acne - Face, Chest, Shoulders

Hi there! I have had acne breakouts that don't fully clear before new ones pop up since I started my hormonal IUD in July. I've used acne products from Neutrogena and La Roche Posay, but they're not doing the job. I have never had acne like this before, even during puberty. My skin is typically combination normal/dry, but my T zone and chin have been oily. I've got the salicylic acid spot stickers from Truly Organic and Skyn Iceland, but it feels a little silly to put so many of them on. I also have an acne clearing body wash, serum, and mask from Truly Organic, but I don't think it's up to task. I've been sleeping with my hair in a silk night cap because I thought my shoulders might be breaking out due to hair products. Now, I just need some advice.

What do you use to clear stubborn acne on your face/body? What works and what's hyped? Thank you!!!

Re: Stubborn Hormonal Acne - Face, Chest, Shoulders

Hi there! I literally struggled with the exact same issues all during my late 20s/early 30s. I was told it was my genetics, that I had excess free testosterone in my blood, yet I had never had that problem until I had an IUD. Only recently did I find out that IUDs can actually be the cause of this (as another user mentioned), which was a real bummer after using them for almost a decade. I just had mine out a month ago and my skin has never been better.
If you want to keep your IUD, I would highly recommend having your blood tested and asking your doctor to put you on spironolactone. That was the miracle-worker for me - everything else was just a waste of money. It takes a few months to work but it is worth the wait and is a generic drug so should be cheap (my insurance covered it at no cost).
Best of luck!

I had my IUD for three years before I had to take it out... I was put on spironolactone, tretinoin, they suggested accutane before that process was over, & I went rouge the last few years desperately trying to get a handle on my skin. Definitely talk to your doctor, because the final straw for me was when I started to experience hair loss 😓 around my face (it was like my hairline was receding. For obvious reasons I was done). My parents are both physicians as well and told me that this happens *often* with IUDs, but I liked everything else about it so much I stubbornly held on. I’ve had it out since august... and OH MY GOD the difference! I realize that everyone is different, but I just wanted to give you that perspective, because in my friend group everyone had no issues with their IUDs/didn’t mention any, so I felt like I was going crazy. Talk to your doctor, try some things out, and if you need something else —do it! Also, getting it taken out isn’t painful at all (and this is coming from a huge baby that fainted TWICE getting it put in 😂).

I had bad IUD induced acne also, as have a few of my friends. My skin is super dry so I have trouble tolerating salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide products, so I upped my tretinoin and it solved the issue. Hormonal acne can be pretty resistant to topical treatment. Spironolactone prescribed by a dermatologist is pretty successful in treating it. I’ve had some friends who took it for a few months and it cleared their hormonal acne right up.

Stubborn Hormonal Acne - Face, Chest, Shoulders

I totally feel you on the hormonal acne, and for me it's due to an overproduction of sebum. I have picked up Ole Henrikson Find Your Balance Oil Control set, and I'm about a month in, my skin went through a purging phase but the last week I have noticed a slight difference. My hormonal acne is centered around my mouth, chin, and jawline, and mostly cystic acne. I have been using Glam Glow Supermud as an overnight spot treatment in case the cysts really flare up. Going to update on continued use for the Ole Henrikson, hopefully next 4 weeks will be better results!!

Hi @Venenati ! I love the brand Proactiv, but it can be irritating or harsh if you have sensitive skin. A holy grail cleanser I LOVE is Kate Somerville EradiKate Daily Cleanser 4 oz/ 120 mL . It is so so gentle, and feels amazing. It’s also clean and cruelty free, which is awesome! It has Sulfur, which helps draw out impurities. A super hyped acne product is The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL . Niacinimide is such a great ingredient as it helps address so many skin concerns! Like acne, wrinkles, dullness, discolouration, and it is super inexpensive! The Ordinary is so inexpensive, and has a variety of products. The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL has a super acne fighting ingredients: salicylic acid, which would make this a wonderful mask to reduce breakouts! I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, I’m so happy to help. Have a great day 💕

I will check out The Ordinary Niacinamide! 😊 Thank you for your recommendation.

@Venenati My pleasure! 💕

For face I’ve been obsessed with The Ordinary Niacinamide. I swear it’s changed my skin. It’s gentle to use morning and night, and you can mix it with some actives as well. 

For body I love the Moroccanoil body scrub and the First Aid Beauty K Bump Eraser. Both are great but I think if you have bad body acne the first aid beauty would work better, it has 10% AHA. 

I have the KP Bump Eraser and love it for my arms when they get KP bumps, but I hadn't considered using it on regular acne! Thanks!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing