Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

So many options

I wonder how many people are concerned they need two different a.m. creams and one night cream (plus retinol if you want anti-aging skincare).  I feel that I could have one a.m. cream that's free of any retinyl palmitate or retinol, acids, etc.  (that could double for my P.M. moisture too.  That's always good).  I could have a second a.m. cream that has retinyl palmitate or whatever happens to be in there and could use it with my B.B. that has SPF in it.  If not using a B.B. then I would have to buy a SPF, for sure, to apply over it.  I like Fresh face cream.  I had a sample and it seems nice so far (used for two days).  However, do I want to keep using retinyl palmitate every single day.  I don't want to stop and then find that my skin gets dry and yucky.  I want make sure my face cream (Fresh) would be able to work with primers.  I want prevent uneven layering.  Would it be o.k. or a good idea to use Fresh face cream (retinyl palmitate) + Dermadoctor: Photodynamic cream ( collagen production)?  Is that to many ingredients to focus on one place?  I have slightly sensitive skin. 

As I already mentioned: I would like a P.M. cream that's free of anything with retinyl's etc.  I want to have a choice of just moisture or being able to layer with retinols etc. 

I know this might sound a little mixed up but I can think of a lot of examples.  I'm trying to keep this short.  P.S. I will admit it's late.  I'm trying to get this question answered pretty quick since I'm running out of my moisturizer.  That's why I'm rushing this question without a lot of edits.  Do you feel the same way about some skincare routines? 

I'm really lazy or practical (depending on how you look a...

I'm really lazy or practical (depending on how you look at it) when it comes to skincare, so I have a basic oil-free moisturizer (Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion) at night and a moisturizer with SPF (Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15) for day. While I do use BB cream, it's rare because it tends to seep into my pores and when I remove it, it always makes my Clarisonic look dirtier than how it usually looks. And since I have sensitive, acne-prone skin, I like to stick with the same skincare routine as long as possible. I hope this helps and good luck!

I'm only half awake, so your post only semi-make sense to...

I'm only half awake, so your post only semi-make sense to me. Yes, I do have 3 moisturizers, one with SPF, one basic that can be used day or night and layered with any treatment, and a fancy one with all kinds of vitamins/treatments in it.

It sounds like you want a basic moisturizer that can be used with SPF or any treatment day or night. If you have oily skin, I suggest Clinique Moisturizing Gel. If you have combination skin, I suggest Clinique Moisture Surge gel or the yellow lotion(this is what I have). If you have dry skin, Clinique Moisture Surge cream or Argan oil.

I'm skincare obsessed and have samples for ~20 different moisturizers. When they irritate or if I'm afraid the treatment will react badly with each other, I go back to my basic Moisture Surge, which can be layered under SPF for morning, and used with any treatment at night, but is light enough to not give me greasy skin.

Retinyl palmitate is a weaker, more subdued version of re...

Retinyl palmitate is a weaker, more subdued version of retinol or reintol A, so it's fine to use it in the day time. Many cosmetics that offer skin care benefits contain retinyl palmitate too, for example, Too Faced's Primed and Poreless primer. As it's a more mild form, it's okay for day time and also learning to read ingredient lables and lists help, most of the time if an ingredient is down further on a list it's not as prominent of an ingredient so it's not as active.

Most lotions will work well with primers over them, if it's a thicker or more emollient lotion/cream, be sure to let it sink into your skin for a few minutes and use just the bare minimum of primer that's needed as to not overload the skin or case the primer to bead up on itself (this can occur with silicone/dimethicone based primers if you use too much).

I don't really think it's necessary to layer on two lotions/creams before primer and make up, why not try finding a serum or treatment with retinyl in it and layering your lotion over that? If you like the benefits and results retinyl palmitate give you, a treatment/serum product will be better as it contains more of your active treatment ingredients compared to a cream which will moisturize first, and treat second.

As for SPF, if you're not able to find a lotion or cream with SPF, try mixing an SPF in, my fave is La Roche Posay's sunscreen fluids, they're super lightweight, can be worn alone or mixed with moisturizer, and have options in the higher SPF levels. You can mix that with either your Fresh or Dermadoctor moisturizer.

Though BB creams and cosmetics offer SPF, I still prefer to stick with SPF in lotions, creams, or on its own. SPF to me serves better when it's in skin care rather than cosmetics as studies have shown the amount in cosmetics that is actually applied is negligable compared to applying it in a cream or sunscreen. You get broader coverage and better application when it's from your skin care side.

If you want some basic lotions/creams that has a primary goal of moisturizing/hydrating that you can mix or layer over treatment products (like something with retinyl palmitate), try CeraVe. It's sold in drug stores, but it's a great line that gives some higher brands a run for their money. Their formulas are simple, work for all skin types, and contain moisturizing ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides, which help to lock in moisture. They have a AM formula and PM formula, along with face washes, body creams, and acne products. Their

The short answer: you said you have slightly sensitive sk...

The short answer: you said you have slightly sensitive skin, so I'd get myself to a store (Sephora, dept. store, or whatever) and try samples instead of just buying online.

I can tell you that I use La Mer products for my skincare routine.  My night cream (just switched to the soft cream from the regular creme de la mer) does suit what you're looking for (a moisturizing cream sans extra anti-aging or whatever), but honestly, it is quite pricey, and I don't know that it's really worth it for everyone.

Most of what I've tried in the past tends to all have something "special" added - anti-aging whatevers, hyaluronic acid, etc.  The one thing I'm sure of that has nothing added (and that I also know works pretty well) is argan oil.  Josie Maran's namesake brand is available at Sephora, and a .5 oz bottle will only run you $14 if you want to give it a try.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors