Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare

So, I want to start a skincare routine but am a novice. What are the best routines? What are great products to use? Is moisturizer enough? Or should I add serums etc? I desire to have a great routine to take better care of my skin! Any advice helps!

Re: Skincare

Truly depends on what your skin type is. Do you have acne prone skin? Sensitive skin? Dry? Oily? 

my basics for my dry skin is to even my skin color and shrink pores around my nose and hydrate my face so it’s not tight. 

I cleanse using Keys SOULCARE cleanser or Tatcha The Rice Wash Skin-Softening Cleanser  to exfoliate any dead skin. 

I use vitamin c that I get from the drug store or Walmart. 

I use Farmacy Mini Deep Sweep 2% BHA Pore Cleaning Toner with Moringa + Papaya 1.7 / 50  to shrink these pores 

and Farmacy Honey Halo Ultra-Hydrating Ceramide Moisturizer  EVERY DAY the best hydrating but not heavy moisturizer. 

and and all treatments are hyaluronic acid for me and I can use anywhere from Inkey List to the Ordinary. Lately though I’ve been pulling for Inkey List Vitamin C and Hylaronic acid!! 

@Sweetsarahnade  "The best" routine is whichever one works for your particular skin. 🙂 A great skincare routine can be as simple as cleanser (PM, optional AM), moisturizer (AM & PM), and sunscreen (AM). What else (if anything) you add to that depends on your answers to these questions: 

1. What's your skin type/behavior? Is your face always quite dry, quite oily, or a combo (perhaps dry in some places and oily in others)? Or is it balanced—not too dry or oily anywhere? Also, does your skin seem sensitive? 
  2. What do you want skincare products to do for you? Think about any skincare issues or goals you have. Examples: hyperpigmentation, overproduction of oil, acne, general maintenance of current skin condition, etc. 
  3. Do you have a skincare budget? Price =/= quality when it comes to skincare (or cosmetics in general). There's a lot of overpriced skincare on the market. How much money are you willing to spend? 
  4. How much effort are you realistically willing to put into skincare? Some folks love a 10+ step routine; for me, that's overkill (especially in the morning) and I'm not spending time on all that, nor does my particular skin need it. Other people want the shortest routine possible. 

Build your skincare routine around that info. 

It's also good to learn about skincare ingredients, so you can look for products that contain ingredients that meet your specific needs. A good starting point is an ingredient database that backs its definitions with scientific data. My favorite is INCIdecoder. 

Other good references: 

• Your primary care doctor and/or board certified dermatologist, if you have one 
  • Board certified dermatologists on youtube (make sure they're derms, not just beauty influencers) 
  • A cosmetic chemist, if you know one 
  • Online cosmetic chemists: Lab Muffin (Michelle Wong), The Melanin Chemist (Esther Olu), Kind of Stephen (Stephen Ko), and probably others 

Before i give you any advice on what to use I would want to know what your skin concerns are, what your goals are from your Skincare routine, products you like and don't like anything helps build a personal routine. @Sweetsarahnade 

My day time routine is,

Wash 

Serum

Moisturizer 

Spf

I hope this helps a bit and please let us know a bit more about your skin care goals

@Sweetsarahnade @It helps to know what your skin type is before you start a skincare routine. 

i think the most important routine you can have is the standard cleanse, moisturize, and SPF. if you have drier skin, use a non-foaming cleanser like the Kate Somerville DeliKate™ Soothing Cleanser 4 oz/ 120 mL or the First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser. foaming cleansers are better for oiler/combination skin. find a moisturizer that suits your skin type, gel-like moisturizers are generally more suited for oiler skin, and thick creamy moisturizers are generally better for drier skin, i personally like Farmacy Honey Halo Ultra-Hydrating Ceramide Moisturizer. always use an spf during the day, i personally like theFarmacy GREEN DEFENSE daily mineral sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 1.7 oz / 50 mL and the innisfree Daily UV Defense Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 36 Sunscreen 3.38 oz / 100 mL. once you have a basic routine like this set up is when you can start targeting specific concerns. start by seeing if you can target those concerns with the basic routine first. acne and/or clogged pores? try a cleanser with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. looking to minimize pores? try a moisturizer formulated with niacinamide. if you cant find cleansers/moisturizers that target your specific needs and concerns is when you should begin to consider serums and other additions to your skincare routine. clogged pores? try adding a mud mask, BHA serum, and/or a niacinamide serum. looking for brighter skin? try a vitamin c serum, AHA serum, and/or a niacinamide serum again (niacinamide is just like a realllyyyy good ingredient). retinols/retinals can benefit with anti-aging, brightening, reducing hyperpigmentation, and while there exists moisturizers with them in it, those moisturizers are not exactly optimal for daily use, so you might want to opt for a retinol/retinal serum instead. you can also consider adding a toner/essence to rebalance your skin after cleansing, many toners and essence nowadays also contain ingredients you may be looking for like BHAs and niacinamide so you could use those in place of certain serums

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing