Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Skincare routine for blackheads and acne scars

I have blackheads and acne scars. I have dry skin. My current skincare regimen is a cleanser, dark spot corrector, a moisturizer. I want to include the ordinary lactic acid 10%+ha in my regimen. Do I still need a dark spot corrector or can I mix the lactic acid with other acids for better results?

Re: Skincare routine for blackheads and acne scars

Hello! I have also struggled with blackheads for much of my life so I have much sympathy for your situation.

First, I'd see if your skin is dry or dehydrated or possibly both. This blog and video can help: . I have oily skin, but it's very dehydrated, so that can be a strange needle to thread. If you have a lot of blackheads you may have a similar paradoxical skin disposition.

Depending on what your dark spot corrector is, it may or may not play nice with the lactic acid, so I'd need to know the active part of your dark spot corrector to say for sure. AHAs can help with skin texture, as well as preventing acne. BHAs will help with the blackheads too and I've found The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL to be great for clearing me out. Niacinimide like The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum or The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL can help with oil control and I've found it was a cornerstone of clearing my skin in a big way.

Jojoba seed and rosehip seed oil are also well known for helping with acne control and reducing the appearance of scars. Jojoba seed oil is great for "replacing" your own sebum after a good BHA clearout without causing acne. Rosehip seed oil is also a natural source of retinol.

Speaking of retinol, that can be a great help for scars as it encourages skin turnover. Just start low and go slow with it as it can be irritating or drying of you do too much too fast. Something like The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL every three days with a day of no exfoliation before the retinol day is a good base to start with. Bakuchiol might help, but it's effects on skin turnover are not the same as retinol so I'd stick with retinol.

Re: Skincare routine for blackheads and acne scars

I have same problem blackheads and around my nose on the cheeks some pores are coming ,, i was thinking my skin is more dry than oily but now i think i have oily dehydrated skin

i was going to buy glow recipe skincare but please help me with this

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing