Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare not making a change

I’m 15 and I have a lot of dark acne scars and marks, and my skin has uneven tone and hyperpigmentation and I have dark circles around my eyes. The products that I’ve been using are 

Morning Routine: Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser, The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2%, The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG, and lastly The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

Night Routine: The Ordinary Squalene Cleanser, The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%, The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA, and lastly The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

I've been using these products for over 4 months and there has been barely a change. I still have a lot of acne scars. Any recommendations?

Re: Skincare not making a change

Dermatologist can provide Retinol-based prescriptions that can help with a myriad of acne and skin related issues. Additionally, they can offer items that help your skin/hyperpigmentation heal.  Moreover, your Dermatologist likely has a great Sunscreen in the office (Usually Elta MD, which is pretty awesome!).

Your skin might not need all these products and they can be irritating your skin as well.  

Do you have active acne? 

You need to use a sunscreen because the products you are using are making you extra sensitive to sun damage and that will just make hyperpigmentation way worse. Also using lactic acid every night can make your skin really irritated. 

Also dark circles sometimes can’t be fixed. I am one of the people who have had dark circles since I was a baby. It is just because of my bone structure and I have just had to live with it unless I want to get fillers. If you have always had dark circles then it might just be hereditary dark circles and those can’t be changed unfortunately. One thing that can help though is getting enough sleep.

Also you should go see a dermatologist to get a prescription for hydroquinone or get a chemical peel which will get rid of the acne scars.

I hope some of this helps!

Hi thanks so much! Do you have any recommendations for sunscreen cuz the ones I’ve used don’t go well with makeup. 

Hi @MadzT ! I'm also a teenager with similar issues.

Those are great products, the only thing missing is a sunscreen! Sunscreen is super important to wear every day (even indoors). It helps prevent skin cancer, but also helps with acne and acne scars because sun damage plays a big role in a lot of common skin concerns.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. Have a wonderful day and remember that you are beautiful no matter what! ❤️

Hi thank you so much!💕 I don’t wear sunscreen cuz I’ve always just had bad experiences with it whether it be white cast or it just not looking good with makeup. Do you have any recommendations? 

Hi @MadzT ! My pleasure! Yeah, I would suggest Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . It’s invisible on the skin and can be used as a makeup primer. I hope this helps! Have an amazing day 💕 and let me know if you ever need anything else! 😊

@MadzT Try picking up the Sephora Favorites Sun Safety Kit It'll give you several to try out.  I'd echo that the use of an SPF is integral to any routine.  Hyperpigmentation will only get worse without one and it's the best anti-aging move out there.

@MadzT If you still don't see a change after using sunscreen, maybe consider trying other products, like The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum   😊

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing