cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare ingredients

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to skincare products and was wondering if I can use the same ingredients (glycolic and lactic acid) in multiple steps on my routine (cleanser, toner, serum). In addition, I wanted to add a vitamin c serum, but I do not know if it’ll work together or what part of my routine to incorporate it in? Anything helps so thank you in advance.

Re: Skincare ingredients

@WinglessOne  Got it thank you I appreciate the help 

Hi @Yessilizbeth15 ! It depends on how much glycolic and lactic acid is in each of your products. Those are both AHAs (alphahydroxy acids) and it's easy to over-exfoliate your skin with them—especially glycolic acid—if you're new to AHAs. 

What's your skincare routine (brands + product names)? 

@WinglessOne 

Cleanser- Olehenriksen Find your balance oil control

Toner- Olehenriksen Glow 2OH Dark spot toner

Essense- Tatcha

Serum- Good Genes All in one Lactic acid treatment (night only)

eye cream- silk peony

moisturizer- the water cream tatcha

@Yessilizbeth15  After doing a quick search for "AHA percentage" of each product and a skim-through of their INCI lists, I have some thoughts: 

Cleanser - OLEHENRIKSEN Find Your Balance™ Oil Control Cleanser 5 oz/ 147 mL = the brand doesn't state the AHA %. Since it's a rinse-off product, it might be okay to use daily.* But consider adding a gentle hydrating cleanser to your routine that you can alternate with this one. 

Toner - OLEHENRIKSEN Glow2OH 7% AHA Exfoliating Dark Spot Toner 6.5 oz/ 190 mL = no AHA % stated, which is frustrating; Beautypedia guesses it's 5-7%. Since this leave-on product contains glycolic and lactic acids, consider it a leave-on exfoliant instead of a "toner." Don't layer it with the Good Genes lactic acid exfoliant, or use both products on the same day—not even if you planned to use one in the morning and the other at night. Also, don't use it every day/night. Keep your use of leave-on exfoliants to 1-3 times a week. On leave-on exfoliant nights, pick EITHER the Glow20H toner or Good Genes. That way, there's far less risk of over-exfoliation—and trust me, you do not want to over-exfoliate your skin. 

Essense - Tatcha The Essence Skincare Boosting Treatment 5.1 oz/ 150 mL = no lactic acid/other AHA % stated; eh, probably not high enough to be worrisome. 

Serum (night only) - Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment = 5% lactic acid. Consider this a leave-on exfoliant. Don't use it the same day as the Glow20H toner, for reasons stated earlier. 

Eye cream - Tatcha The Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL  = none listed; another product that might be fine for daily use. You might not even need an eye cream if your moisturizer works well under your eyes by itself. 

Moisturizer - Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL = none listed; possibly fine for daily use. 

Sunscreen - this is missing from your routine. Please add a broad spectrum sunscreen that's at least SPF 30 and wear it EVERY DAY your skin's exposed to sunlight. Even if you're indoors or driving/riding in a car. Even if it's cloudy outside. Weather and season can't block the sun's harmful UV rays. A popular reliable option is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , but there are plenty of others. Apply sunscreen to all exposed skin, including the nape of your neck (if exposed) and ears, and reapply every couple hours. We should all wear sunscreen daily anyway, but especially when using AHAs in our skincare routines. AHAs will make your skin more sun-sensitive. 

*To find out exactly how much AHA's in each of the Tatcha and Olehenriksen products, you'll need to contact the brands directly. 
2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing