Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare for 10 year olds

I hope everyone is having a magical day. I have a little cousin who is 10 (but turning 11 next month) and she wants some skincare and makeup for her birthday. Does anyone have any product recommendations for a birthday present I can buy her? Thank you for your help picking out a gift for my cousin.

Re: Skincare for 10 year olds

I don't really know honestly 😔 but if your looking for some clean products try, drunk elephant bronze drops or a glow recipe toner👍

Babes, I mean NO disrespect with this, but, those are not appropriate products for an 11 year old. 🥹

The Glow Recipe Toner has 3% PHA + 2% BHA. It’s meant for uneven skin texture & pores—the target audience is older people. Both Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA) and Polyhydroxy Acids (PHA) are used for anto aging, as they can boost elasticity and help wrinkles. Young skin doesn’t need these (unless there is another issue happening, like acne.) Children’s skin absorbs these acids more than mature skin, which gives them a higher chance of experiencing irritation.

Dermatologists typically deem products with 2% Salycylic Acid to be relatively safe for young skin, but keep in mind that there’s also the 3% PHA. Derms usually say to not go over that initial amount when purchasing an OTC product to deal with acne. Furthermore, Glow Recipe’s entire line is packed with fragrance. This can be very irritating and may cause damage that would take a while to help (if the person has sensitive skin). Also, it is nearly $50 CAD. This person seems like they’re just getting into makeup—I feel like it’d make more sense to get them various products instead.

Same thing with the Drunk Elephant Bronzing Drops!! That is an unreasonable amount of money to spend on a singular product for an 11 year old!!! Especially with all the dupes there are. 

Cera-v is a really gentle moisturizer that my younger siblings live to use, but you could always purchase the SEPHORA COLLECTION Nourishing Moisturizer for Skin Barrier (or a tinted vers. to give an illusion of foundation and a little more coverage) kids that young shouldn't need a ton of concelar, so don't worry about purchasing any of the heavier stuff yet

Micellar water, like SEPHORA COLLECTION Micellar Cleansing Water & Milk Green Tea  doesnt have to be anything fancy, can help gently cleanse and remove any makeup

I would also recommend a non-waterproof mascara. I use tarte Big Ego Mascara 0.23 fl oz/ 7 mL , but tubing mascaras would be great for younger kids as it's easy to remove compared to some of this stuff. The kid might like eyeliner to go along with the mascara, but it's easier to wait and see how much they want it before purchasing. For younger kids, using a liquid pen is much easier as they can get straighter lines without as much trouble

Lip oils and balms/butters, like LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm for Hydration & Shine SEPHORA COLLECTION Sephora Colorful® Lip Gloss Balm would be good as well

If you feel like getting "fancy", a small eyeshadow palette might be of interest to your cousin as well. Even just purchasing one of the three colored ones that you can find at a drug store would peak the kids interest

Good luck and happy 11th birthday to your cousin!

I love the drunk elephant jelly cleanser nice and gentle on my skin

if she wants a tan the tinted niacinsmide drops from glow recipe are the best

and SUMMER FRIDAYS……..buy them

A coloured lip balm is pretty age appropriate @shinyyyyyyyyyyy and maybe a fun body spray?

Sol de Janeiro just released a few. 

Sol de Janeiro Beijos de Sol Perfume Mist 3.04 oz / 90 mL 

I don't think children need complicated skincare routines other than a gentle wash and a daily gentle sunscreen. ( Note: they really should be washing thier faces at night of the use SPF during the day.) 

So much of skincare has ingredients that are made for older skin. Active ingredients can be harmful on young skin.

I'd talk to your family doctor/pediatrician or dermatologist before getting a child anything other than a gentle wash or spf.

There's a lot of pressure from social media for children and using products they might not really need, do your research before diving in. I hope this helps. 💞🙏

I agree! it is scary to see 10 year olds use retinol 😅

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing