cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare for 10 year old

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to see if it's appropriate to start a very gentle/light skincare routine for my 10 year old daughter. We use cetaphil cleanser for her face, but live in a dry environment and I was thinking a gentle/clean moisturizer with spf wouldn't hurt...or would it? Would love your thoughts and recommendations on products. Ideally they're not super pricey, but open to all views here!

Tags:

Re: Skincare for 10 year old

@SJYYC teaching kids how to take care of their skin early is a wonderful idea especially when it comes to sunscreen! La Roche Posay actually makes a line of sunscreen that's targeted for sensitive skin and also a line for kids as well. They sell it at Target and also at Ulta. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL works with all types of skin types and may be worth checking into. I know you said she was washing her face with Cetaphil and they do make SPF, but they don't have very good reviews, but it may be worth checking out. Good luck!

@SJYYC I think it's a wonderful idea to help get your daughter started off on her skincare journey.  I agree starting off with something simple is a great idea.  I think you're on the right track with Cetaphil.  It's a great line of products at a reasonable price.  I'd recommend using separate moisturizer and SPF though.  If you get a good moisturizer, it could be used both night and day and then a good SPF with a high value to add after moisturizer in the morning would be an awesome routine.  Most dermatologists (I've met with a lot in my day, but I'm not one, so please take my advice as that of a beauty junky) would advise that a large group of people don't use enough SPF to actually get the proper levels of protection from the sun.  Having a good high SPF that's a dedicated SPF will allow more of the protection to get onto her face.  SPF in products is rarely enough to have a significant impact in protection (but hey ... anything is better than nothing)!  I'd also stress re application.  Finding a good SPF product that she likes in my opinion could be more trial and error than finding a moisturizer.  But... it's worth it, a good SPF is not only setting her up with the best anti-aging products out there (imagine if our moms started out that early), but it's also an investment in her skin health. Good luck with your journey!

@SJYYC I think it's a great idea. She'll probably enjoy it and it will set up good habits for the rest of her life. Something simple like the SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow or a Neutrogena oil free moisturizer will work nicely and be nice and light on her skin.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing