Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare Routine of the Day

This is a place to share your skincare routine of the day!  Whether it be daytime routine or nighttime routine, I know you have one.  From simple to complex, expensive to inexpensive products: show and tell! If you are anything like me, your skincare routine changes daily. Skincare isn't as showy as makeup, but it is the quiet work horse of our daily lives. 20200118_005115.jpg

You might want to include with your post: your skin type, skin concerns (& the weather where you are).

⭐ Sometimes if all you can do is your skincare, that is enough.

Re: Skincare Routine of the Day

Awesome lineup !!
Our routine is so similar on Retinol day @faeriegirl  pic popped up on main page and for a sec I thought it was my pic then realized I haven’t done my routine today yet 😄 😄

That is so funny @naturalooks15!

Last night was my basic no-retinol (well, no full face retinol) routine, with a couple new products in the mix. 

PM routine, Jan 20.PM routine, Jan 20.

Details: 

Spoiler
Wash: Paula’s Choice Resist Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser. Still testing this one to make sure it’s removing all my sunscreen. 

Tone/hydrate: e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence. 

Undereyes: DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum. I now use this only on nights I don’t use The Inkey List Retinol. I keep using this DDG serum for its antioxidants (it contains more of them than TIL Retinol does) and skin firming ability.  

Serum: THE ORDINARY - Buffet, which I always keep in an airless vacuum pump bottle—but not so much for ingredient protection. I just like this delivery mechanism more than the glass dropper. During my first 4 months of retinol, I often layered Buffet over it and I’m convinced that helped my skin adjust. And Buffet is still my favorite way to get a major boost of peptides. 

Mist: YOUTH TO THE PEOPLE - Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Reishi + Ashwagandha. I’m finally testing this, after months of wanting to. The pump sprays a surprisingly fine unscented mist that’s not sticky and feels very hydrating over Buffet. It’s almost like Buffet’s hyaluronic acid helps my skin immediately bear-hug this mist. Tonight I’ll try this mist without Buffet. Maybe tomorrow morning I’ll try this mist between washing and toning, just to see how my skin reacts. 

Spot treatment: Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel. Still zapping some random acne, but last night I applied this gel on my entire forehead in case crud tried to run and hide beneath my skin to pop up elsewhere a few days later. Several dermatologists have told me over the years to never rely on spot treating alone to get rid of acne, lest I end up chasing pimples all around my face. 

Moisturizer: e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil, topped with YOUTH TO THE PEOPLE - Superfood Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer.

I know I’ve mentioned this many times in other threads but: I quit using eye creams last spring and have since used the same moisturizers I apply to the rest of my face. I made this switch mainly because I wanted to simplify my overall routine. Turns out I don’t need a “brightening” eye cream if I apply my vitamin C serum under my eyes each morning and a retinol serum (either DDG or Inkey List) there each night. Plus, my full face moisturizing routine works perfectly well on my very dry undereyes. 

Lip care: Aquaphor Ointment, topped with LANEIGE - Lip Sleeping Mask. I’ve reversed the order of application (Laneige first, then Aquaphor) only twice and that didn’t work for me, possibly because the mask contains alcohol—which Aquaphor seems to buffer when applied first. My lips feel softer in the morning when I apply Aquaphor under this mask than they do when I apply only the mask or only Aquaphor at night. 🤷‍♀️ 

This morning’s routine was the same as yesterday morning’s. Smiley Happy 

I've got to try that DDG product, if it firms. Is it a strong eye retinol, @WinglessOne ?

@haleyvvvv  It’s not a strong retinol. DDG won’t divulge the % of retinol in this stuff, just like they won’t state the % of AHA and BHA in their Alpha Beta Universal peel pads—which is ridiculous because none of these ingredients are trade secrets. Smiley Very Happy Some of us like to know exactly how strong or gentle certain ingredients are in the products we put on our faces. Sigh... 

Anyway, I suspect this eye serum contains a very low % of retinol. Possibly as low as the % in FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate. Eh, maybe a bit higher, who knows (except the folks at DDG). Last month I used this DDG eye serum on my whole face each night of a 10-day stay in Florida—I intentionally left The Inkey List Retinol at home—and the difference between the 2 serums was obvious to me. Not a truly fair comparison since there aren’t many overlapping ingredients between these serums, but still: I know how my face responds to my usual retinol serum, and by day 5 of nightly DDG use I could see my skin losing some of its radiance and looking a bit dull after exfoliation. Some of that could also have been due to the climate change and plane cabin exposure. My skin didn’t look awful. It was just missing some of its oomph, if that makes sense. As soon as I returned home and started back on my Inkey List retinol serum every other night, the oomph returned. 

The DDG eye serum does contain a great mix of antioxidants and a peptide. And the retinol (whatever % it is) isn’t useless. If this serum came in a bigger bottle at a reasonable price point (I know there’s a similarly named DDG serum for the whole face, but it’s formulated a bit differently) and I didn’t need more retinol than it contains, I’d use it on my whole face every single day. 

@WinglessOne It is so frustrating when companies do that. Thank you for all of the info!! But this sounds like a good starter retinol, do you also use the glow recipe eye one? I don't use an eye retinol yet and it would be good to start with a more gentle one, as opposed to like Kate Sommerville.

@haleyvvvv  No problem! The only retinol products I use are The Inkey List and that DDG eye serum. Oh, and I often travel with DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel; the step 2 pad contains some retinol. (I don’t use those peel pads at home anymore, but they’re good for travel.) 

Thanks @WinglessOne !

Very nice @WinglessOne ❤️, I tried a mini YTTP and it was a good moisturizer 👍 I really need to pick up some ordinary serums and oil 

Thanks @2manyperfumes ! One of the best things about The Ordinary is it doesn’t cost much to do trial and error with their serums. Buffet is their only serum I use regularly. I’m still not brave enough to try their 30% AHA peel: it’s still sitting in my Try It box, waiting to be tested, but 30% potency scares me. 😬 

My face has been in love with the YTTP Superfood Moisturizer for at least a year now. I don’t remember when I switched to it. YTTP makes another moisturizer I didn’t like when I tried it during warm weather, the YOUTH TO THE PEOPLE - Adaptogen Deep Moisture Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi. My YTTP mist came in a mini duo with the Adaptogen moisturizer, so I’ll give it a second chance soon while the weather’s frigid here and see if my skin appreciates it then. 

It’s so bitter good and dry here that my skin just drinks up all serums and oils.  Once it gets warmer I have to switch things up @WinglessOne ☺️ Because then it’s too much and I start breaking out.  Ooh 30% scares me too because I get a reaction if I overuse 10% more than once or twice a week.  I wonder if that is what I tried from YTTP.  It was light but penetrating which I love that it doesn’t sit on the skin.  If that happens it makes my makeup application a mess even though I leave it on for 20 minutes before I start applying makeup.  I heard the caffeine serum is good from the ordinary.  

@2manyperfumes  Yeah, I usually change up my skincare routine on a seasonal basis. That’s partly why I keep a spreadsheet that details my whole routine: it helps me keep my routine straight. Smiley Very Happy By springtime, I’ll probably stop using Coola Full Spectrum Sun Silk Drops because it’s too much for my oily zone in warm weather—which is why I waited til late fall to use it regularly. 

If you try The Ordinary’s caffeine serum, let us know what you think! 

I absolutely agree with you @WinglessOne but... Big but here 😆 I still like using eye creams 😂

I have about 4-5 eye creams....

@WinglessOne @lmaster 

@l8totheparty @WinglessOne it's all in vain!!! 😂

@lmaster  @l8totheparty  That reminds me that my derm is definitely not a fan of eye creams in general. His opinion is something like “the beauty industry has successfully duped people into believing they absolutely need eye cream” and “any dermatologist who says you must use eye cream is just trying to sell you theirs.” He does caveat that with “some people do need extra moisture under their eyes.” He just doesn’t believe everyone needs a product specifically marketed as eye cream, vs. a full face moisturizer or facial oil. The day I told him I wanted to simplify my routine and asked which products I should drop, his immediate answer was “lose the eye cream. I promise you don’t need it, and you can sue me for malpractice if I’m wrong.” 🤣 

I don’t wanna say you SHOULDN’T use eye cream because that’s completely up to you, of course. If it works well and causes no harm, and you don’t mind having the extra skincare step, product, and expense, then why stop using it? Smiley Happy But if you do wanna streamline your routine a bit for whatever reason, I’ll say eye cream’s a good place to start. 

@WinglessOne I have read that before and it does make sense, I mean a full face moisturizer usually does have the same ingredients anyway,, and like @l8totheparty stated here,, I have received many eye products in sub boxes, the only eye cream I have purchased is FARMACY - Cheer Up Brightening Vitamin C Eye Cream with Acerola Cherryand GLOW RECIPE - Avocado Melt Retinol Eye Sleeping Maski do really really enjoy both, mainly I don't have a moisturizer like either one of these products, uughhh I'm such a sucker for marketing 

Year 1 and 2: use the eye creams. 

Year 3: see how many eye creams I still have left. Use the eye creams.

Year 4: use up the eye creams??

Year 5: still be using up the eye creams? 

Year 6+: unsubscribe to the boxes that send me the eye creams and transition to oil.

Oil is the new eye cream.

@WinglessOne @lmaster 

My eye life is mapped.

@lmaster  Heh, I understand. Giving up my beloved BIOSSANCE - Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel was hard! But once I realized that eye cream and the DDG serum do some of the same things (mostly skin firming), it was easier to wean myself off the eye cream. I still have an unfinished bottle of the Biossance eye gel. A few weeks ago, I tried using it one morning and it didn’t work as well as my usual AM undereye routine. I think I heard my undereyes say “but... but we don’t need this anymore! Get this stuff off of us!” Smiley Very Happy 

@WinglessOne uughhhh I know,, I'm just not committed to really knowing yet 🤦

I remembered what serums I have left.  My favourite and most noticeable improvement has been the niacidamide.  I use these daily.  The peptides at night mostly.

D283FE40-5475-463F-A235-6E1B65A22FDC.jpeg❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

2,432 Replies