Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare Routine of the Day

This is a place to share your skincare routine of the day!  Whether it be daytime routine or nighttime routine, I know you have one.  From simple to complex, expensive to inexpensive products: show and tell! If you are anything like me, your skincare routine changes daily. Skincare isn't as showy as makeup, but it is the quiet work horse of our daily lives. 20200118_005115.jpg

You might want to include with your post: your skin type, skin concerns (& the weather where you are).

Sometimes if all you can do is your skincare, that is enough.

Re: Skincare Routine of the Day

Hmmm, thank you for the feedback @l8totheparty. Doesn’t sound like something I need in my life, which is a-ok.

Anonymous Insider

Has anyone had issues breaking out from caudalie glow serum? I broke out and I never Aldo I have tough skin but wow I’m a mess and don’t know what to do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

@Anonymous By "breaking out," do you mean you got new acne after using the Caudalie serum? Does that serum contain vitamin C, retinol, or any other active ingredients? 

If yes to both questions: your skin might be purging. Some active ingredients boost skin cell turnover, which is great! But if you've had crud clogging your pores beneath your skin surface, those same ingredients can also accelerate the acne cycle. It normally takes a while for pimples to form. Vitamin C, retinoids, azelaic acid, and other ingredients can speed up that process. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's the active ingredient(s) trying to evict crud from your pores at a faster than normal rate. A purge tends to happen on parts of your face where you've had any acne before. Purging usually lasts 4-6 weeks, but can take up to 8 weeks for some folks. 

If you're seeing new bumps on parts of your face that have never ever had acne, then it's probably a bad reaction to the serum and you should ditch the serum. Also, if you stick with that serum and are still seeing new acne after 6 or 8 weeks, even in places you've had acne before, then it's time to stop using that product. 

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a purge and a bad reaction. 😞 I know "stick with it for 4-6 weeks and see if your breakouts die down" isn't the most encouraging answer; I whined when my dermatologist gave me that advice last year about a certain product. But sometimes that's what it takes. 

If that happened to me @Anonymous I would pause for 2 weeks until my skin cleared up and then try again. If my skin goes wild then I'd bin the item! Not worth crazy skin. Or return it now because your skin is not happy with it. 

Acne-prone combo skin, dry cheeks, oily t zone, acne occurs weekly all over face. 

Daily Routine (in order):

CeraVe Benzyl Peroxide Acne Cream Foaming Cleanser

Thayer's Witch Hazel Rose Water Toner

The Ordinary Niacinamide and Zinc serum

Trader Joe's Ultra Hydrating Gel Moisturizer on oily parts

Morning: SheaMoisture Hemp Seed Oil Skin Rescue moisturizer for dry skin

Night: CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion on dry skin

Once a week: Epoch Marine Mud Mask

I still suffer from acne, I am a teenager so it may be from hormones, but if anybody could make product suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Would consider adding adapalene (Differin) to your routine since it works by a different mechanism against acne than the usual BPO and SA. Also potentially alternating between the benzoyl peroxide cleanser with a salicylic acid containing one. + sunscreen esp if using a lot of acids and/or adapalene.

Mornings

20200920_133057~2.jpg

Spoiler
I've written about most of these in previous posts, so I will just stick to new(ish) to me ones for detailing, but feel free to ask. Elemis Cica Face Wash, Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin™ Liquid, OLEHENRIKSEN Truth Serum® Mini 0.5 oz/ 15 mL, AMOREPACIFIC Vintage Single Extract Essence 70 mL, Private Doctor Minus Serum, Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum, Elemis Cica Calm Hydration Juice, Shiseido Benefiance Day Cream, Elemis Rose Facial Oil, Shiseido SPF is all good. Only Caudalie is a fave that I would repurchase going forward, but I have a lot of serums to try. Maybe the Elemis face wash if I could find a place to get Elemis easily in Canada (maybe LookFantastic?).

Blume Meltdown .5 oz/ 13 mL I am very glad the kit I bought came with the mini version and not the full size, because wowzers this is not my fave. First of all, it is WAY too scented. I do not handle overly fragrant things well, so this is not a pleasant experience. At least it wasn't added fragrance. The consistency is all oil (but is thin), which is fine, because it spreads easily, but goes everywhere when squirted out of the bottle. As for spot treatments, it is not the best, just meh. It does definitely help reduce active breakouts, but doesn't really help for clogged pores. My skin really likes salicylic acid, so I will be returning to my old standby. Tagging @sp1771 who was interested in this from a few months ago.

Origins GinZing™ Refreshing Eye Cream to Brighten and Depuff 0.5 oz/ 15 mL This is definitely a brightening eye cream. I haven't really had a lot of bags that need depuffing, so can't comment on that one. Unfortunately, this just isn't hydrating enough for my normal-dry-ish skin.

Grade and Stella Spray. Very heavy scent of roses. Mildly hydrating. Would not repurchase, as I really don't enjoy a rose scent (but as I got in a sub box, not too mad).

Evenings

Cleansers

20200920_133514.jpg

Spoiler
CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Makeup Remover For Lids, Lashes & Lips 4.2 oz/ 125 mL is one of my fave eye makeup removers, I go in with it if anything is left after my general makeup remover step. Biotherm Biosource 24H Hydrating & Tonifying Toner has a fair bit of alcohol and isn't very hydrating, will be searching of another once finished.

Newly, the Origins Original Skin™ Cleansing Makeup Removing Jelly with Willowherb is fine, but stings my eyes a little too much for me to really like. It is a jelly texture, so easily goes all over the face and does a good job of removing makeup.

Papa Recipe Eggplant Cleanser is a gentle foaming cleanser that is supposed to really help get into pores. I like how it foams up on my PMD Clean Smart Facial Cleansing Device Blush but I haven't noticed an especially effective cleansing.

Bioderm Sensibio is a nice, gentle micelle water that's been extensively discussed here. I use micelle water as a last step cleanser to also add a layer of hydration. It is okay, but I prefer the SEPHORA COLLECTION Triple Action Cleansing Water - Cleanse + Purify 13.5 oz/ 400 mL except for the slight fragrance. It could be a toss up between these two, thus far.

I haven't seen a lot about the Farmacy Deep Sweep 2% BHA Pore Cleaning Toner with Moringa + Papaya 4.0 oz/ 120 mL, but I am enjoying it quite a bit. I haven't used a BHA toner consistently, so this is my first foray and I do not have anything to compare it to. I was finding that using it sparingly when I felt I needed to get into my pores wasn't quite enough. Using is almost every other day seems to help a little, but when I stepped up to using it daily (or near daily 5/week) really makes my pores feel and look clean. In general, for my sensitive-ish skin, this is a really lovely product, even it has a slight scent, but not from added fragrance. It isn't drying, in my experience, as there isn't alcohol. To note, there is sodium benzoate, as I think that's a sensitizing agent for some. It does also have a bit of lactic acid, so I am trying not to use it on the same day as other acids. The bottle will last a while, in my experience, as I've been using it for a while not, and still about 2/3 left. I have another BHA toner to try, but would likely repurchase. Tagging @lmaster and @Kim888 who were interested from a few months ago.

Masks

20200920_133914~2.jpg

Spoiler
The Origins Original Skin™ Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay 2.5 oz/ 75 mL is a HG for me, I love how it removes redness and resets my face. For me, the Murad, Elemis Veggie Mask, Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask 5 oz/ 148 mL, Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask, GLAMGLOW GRAVITYMUD™ Firming Treatment Mask 3.5 oz/ 100 g are all okay. None are the best in their categories, but they are all serviceable.

The Kiehl's Since 1851 Avocado Nourishing Hydration Mask 3.4 oz/ 100 mL is trash. Somehow both hard and almost dried out when getting it out of the tub, but then mushy out of the tub. It does seem to work best if warmed up in the hands first, but then just gets everywhere. Definitely reminds me texturely of avocade, which is its best feature. It does an okay job of hydrating, but there are so many that do it better without being such a frstration. Do not recommend. I think someone else had a similar reaction, maybe on the 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge thread?

I've only used the GLAMGLOW BERRYGLOW™  Probiotic Recovery Face Mask once. It is fun and nicely rejuvenates my face. I like using it in the latter half of the week after my peel and on a day when I use my high % retinol. It has a thinner texture than I would have anticipated, I expected more whipped and it is very runny. It does have seeds (or seed like granules), but they don't irritate or grate the face, in my experience. It definitely smells like berry yogurt. It dries down on the face to a like frosting (think donut) consistency, that can be tissued off. I don't like the sensation of too much heavy products on my face, so I always wash off, and despite that I still get a lovely nourishing and hydrating results.

I pulled out the Wei mask a few weeks ago, but have been using sheet masks on Fridays instead, so I will report back.

Actives

20200920_133651~2.jpg

Spoiler
I love the Kate Somerville +Retinol Vita C Power Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL. The OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum, TIL retinol, and Herbivore bakuchoil are all good, but not winners in their categories for me. I really don't love the The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL , which seems like it is never-ending despite getting my partner to start using it.

I've only used the Herbivore Prism (5%) once, so I can't comment yet. I also have some 12% to try as well. I dunno what it is about the Prism products but they seem to b much stronger than I expect.

Creams, etc.

20200920_140114~2.jpg

Spoiler
I loooooove the Algenist POWER Recharging Night Pressed Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL, old style bite beauty lip mask, burt's bees chapstick, Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum, LANEIGE Eye Sleeping Mask and Glow Recipe Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask Mini 1 oz/ 30 mL. The Caudalie Premier Cru Anti-Aging Eye Cream is meh.

I've gone through a sample size of the Kate Somerville Kx Active Concentrates Bio-Mimicking Peptides Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and decided I liked it well enough to use a full size I had from a sub box. I like it, but I LOVE The Ordinary "Buffet" 2 oz/ 60 mL , especially how hydrating it is, the other peptide serums I've used haven't been like this, including this KS one. I am going to go through the whole bottle and see if there's an effect on "aging" though.

The GLAMGLOW MOISTURETRIP™ Omega-Rich Face Moisturizer isn't my favourite. I have dryish skin, so one would think this would be nice, but I find it a little bit too heavy and goopy. It makes a fine nighttime moisturizer but would be terrible for the day for me. I haven't noticed any anti-redness yet, but am hopeful. Just okay, not great, glad I got it in a sub (that review could honestly be a review for most products, lol, so I am glad I get to try a bunch of products using sub boxes that were on my loves list).

The Pureheals Propolis sleeping mask is good! It isn't my fave, but it is very nourishing and makes a lovely nightcap mask. It does have that same weird soapy scent that the Dr. Brandt Skincare Hydro Biotic™ Recovery Sleeping Mask has? Does anyone know what this? 

My skin is normal-dryish, sensitive-ish.
The weather has been ashy, so I have been inside, which is terrible, but is luckily clearing up and warming up a bit.

@haleyvvvv wow that is quite a variety of skincare! I do remember that avocado mask mentioned on the thread, mostly in a so-so sort of way. It’s such a bummer it seemed dried out, we could all benefit from a good avocado mask!

It does look like a lof all laid out, but its largely consistent day to day, with a change in masks, actives and the addition of an occasional eye retinol.

Totally agree we could all benefit from a good avocado mask, @eshoe!! Or avocado toast. Or guacamole. Or both. While wearing a mask. Now I'm hungry. 

Here’s my skincare from this morning.  I just cleared up all the skincare clutter on my counter cause it was driving me insane having it out even if it was an effective deterrent against my shopping for skincare.  As a result I forgot to apply vitamin c today.  I’ll survive.  

6C1B6E62-B8F5-4DF2-B50A-C1BE7B79FCDE.jpeg

@heartsmyface, what is the purple bottle? It looks like it’s might be from Rodial?

@itsfi it’s Rodial stem cell booster oil. My skin is  loving it. It’s a lightweight oil with a subtle natural rose fragrance that absorbs quickly.  It contains rose stem cells, rosehip seed oil for skin elasticity, Marula oil, vitamin c (oh I didn’t forget vitamin c after all!), babassu oil (another antioxidant), and retinyl palmitate for smoothing wrinkles.  
I like it cause it seems to firm my skin even though there are no firming claims.  A bonus is it absorbs quickly and leaves no shine.  
I’ve been altering between this and the SR Juno oil. I like this more but want to get the Juno used up and out of rotation. 

also, my photos have been posting blurry unless I click on them.  Is that what’s happening on your end? 

Oooh, the Rodial oil sounds wonderful @heartsmyface! My skin might have a problem with the retinyl palmitate. Well, I have more than enough oils to get me through the year but when we get back to a new normal that looks more like the old normal, I'll see about getting a sample. 

The photo itself isn't really blurry. Some of the details are though when I view posts on my phone. On my phone, with the Rodial oil, I can't make out "stem cell recovery oil" - that's blurry but the names of the other products are not. On my laptop, however, perfectly fine, as I discovered this morning. Ugh. I should have known. Next time I'll try that before asking what a product is. 

@itsfi  Ah you may want to steer clear of this oil then.  

The photos appearing blurry is a recent development.  It’s mostly my own photos that seem to be blurred until I click on the photo.  I likely need to upgrade the ap or something.  I’m going to make updates a priority today and see if that helps.  
i wouldn’t worry about it.  Sometimes it’s faster and easier to just ask than to troubleshoot. 

@heartsmyface I've been having this problem for a few weeks with my photos. I'm using a mobile browser, but for some reason its defaulting to mid sized/quality photos. You can edit the size using the desktop browser without having to re-upload photos, buts it an annoying work around. I think it was posted about in the Beauty Insider Community Feedback thread.

@haleyvvvv  oh thank you!  I’ll put that on my to do list.  And dang, I was just telling the hubs I never use my personal desktop anymore not five minutes ago.  

@heartsmyface You should be able to switch to desktop version on your mobile browser (at least in Chrome), if you didn't want to use your desktop anymore. 

Updated Weekly Routine

Mornings

20200831_234859.jpg

Not pictured, my cleanser, Elemis Cica cleanser.

Evening - Makeup Removers/Cleansers/Toners

20200831_235020.jpg

Evening - Masking

20200831_235337~3.jpg

Evening - Actives

20200831_235543~2.jpg

Evening - Serums and Creams

20200831_102930.jpg

I can't wait- I'm getting the PMD in a sub box hopefully sometime soon!! I ordered the box specifically for this. 

Also- where did you find the Herbivore Bakuchiol?? I have wanted another since mine ran out months ago.

@haleyvvvv 

Ooooh, so worth it!! I was so grateful mine came in a Boxyluxe, but once it stops working, I will likely buy another one. That's soooo exciting, @l8totheparty!! I hope it works great for you!!

I may have had some bottles stashed away to try from like SF kits, so I could eventually test. But, exciting news, it is BACK!!

I got an email from Herbivore yesterday and ordered 2!! Can't wait to get back into the Bakuchiol! @haleyvvvv 

testing