Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare Routine of the Day

This is a place to share your skincare routine of the day!  Whether it be daytime routine or nighttime routine, I know you have one.  From simple to complex, expensive to inexpensive products: show and tell! If you are anything like me, your skincare routine changes daily. Skincare isn't as showy as makeup, but it is the quiet work horse of our daily lives. 20200118_005115.jpg

You might want to include with your post: your skin type, skin concerns (& the weather where you are).

Sometimes if all you can do is your skincare, that is enough.

Re: Skincare Routine of the Day

@mazzkm @I’ve heard such good things about it so my expectations were already sky high! It seems to be easy on the skin and that is a major +

RE: Skincare Routine of the Day

My goal last month was “less is more” and I’ve been trying to cut out as many products as I can. Over the course of the month my skin cleared up immensely. So! Continuing that for this month as well. Used up all of my PTR Cloud Cleanser so now using the Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip. So far I really like this one but it’s definitely not as creamy as the PTR. I’ll probably buy the full size of the PTR once I run out of this one.

Re: RE: Skincare Routine of the Day

@mazzkm haven't tried ceramic slip yet, but good to know how it compares to PTR, thanks!

Less is more sounds like a great approach @mazzkm .  Glad it's been working for you!

I have that body butter as well @mazzkm; so moisturizing! 💗 Is that the Frank Body lip balm? Is it the original version or one of the flavored versions? 

It’s the original! It is definitely my favourite, I grab this one over any other lip mask I have. 

I appreciate your simplified routine, @mazzkm 

The days I keep mine very simple happen to coincide with a small feeling of guilt for not using my products. 

Oh I completely agree! 

Ceramidin body butter sounds like it would be amazingly nourishing @mazzkm! Sometimes less is more and that’s more often than not, I find;)

It really is a great body butter, when I found it at Marshall’s I couldn’t pass it up! My only issue is that now I don’t know I’ll ever find it again! Haha

I have a question for all of you who do a face oil in the PM; do you prefer to put it on before or after your moisturizer and why? I hear about people doing it both ways and was curious what everyone’s thoughts are? Thanks!

@sparkles0913  I’m late to your question but: I sometimes switch up the order, but usually I apply a thin layer of oil and then my cream moisturizer. 

I treat most facial oils like moisturizing serums—kinda like a step between serum and moisturizer in my routine, though I usually list them under the moisturizer category. My favorite is Herbivore Emerald CBD + Adaptogens Deep Moisture Glow Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL which I like to press into my skin for anti-inflammation benefits, then top with my cream moisturizer. If I use e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil instead, I usually apply that one first as well. I can apply The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL first but, for my skin, I find it works best if applied after my cream moisturizer; its viscosity swamps my oily zone if applied before cream, no matter how thinly or sparsely I apply that oil. 

You could apply oils based on occlusivity... not all facial oils are occlusive, so they won’t actually seal in moisture (when applied after creams) unless applied quite heavily. Though really, no oil will seal in moisture if applied directly to dry skin (there’s no moisture for the oil to seal) so it’s wise to add a little hydration before any moisturizer, be it oil or cream. Anyway, some facial oils are really emollients. Some are both emollients and occlusive. You could look up the occlusivity of various oils and use that info to determine when to apply a specific oil (or blend of oils, since most are blends these days). Or, you could just try both orders on your skin and see which works best for you. 🙂 

I usually mix my oil with my moisturizer to make my life easier. I’ve never had a problem doing this, but I’ve only used two different oils so far - DE Virgin Marula Oil and Malin+Goetz Recovery Treatment Oil.

@sparkles0913  If it's a light oil, I mix it (Squalane) but if it's heavier I use it after moisturizer (but before the sleeping mask if I am doing one that night) like The Ordinary Rose Hip Seed Oil

@sparkles0913  I like to mix mine with my moisturizer.

@sparkles0913 I like to apply oil, then moisturizer.  I use The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL followed by Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL at night.  Just one little drop is all the oil I need 🙂

That’s a great question @sparkles0913! I’ll be interested to hear what others’ preferences are. I add 2-3 drops of oil to my moisturizer about 99% of the time because I’m lazy. Hahaha! 😂🤣😂 So true though.

For me, the few times I don’t mix an oil into my moisturizer, the order depends on the oil. The lighter or drier the oil, the more likely I will apply it before my moisturizer; an example would be Herbivore Emerald or a rosehip seed oil. The heavier the oil, like Drunk Elephant Marula, the more likely I’ll apply it after.

@itsfi  I haven’t tried mixing my rose oil. Maybe I’ll give it a try!!

RE: Re: RE: Skincare Routine of the Day

Agreed! I use the Rosehip Oil as well, in the same order.

@itsfi  Seeing this after I posted. I do the same. If it's something light and absorbs quick, I mix it i.e. Squalane. but if it's Rose Hip Seed oil or something else, I top it off. 

I mostly now just use Squalane everyday and always mix. Quicker my routine it, better the chances that I will actually do it 😄 

“Quicker my routine is, better the chances that I will actually do it.” Ain’t that the truth @naturalooks15! To make sure I remove my sunblock and makeup before bed, I now do my cleansing step right after I get home and change out of my work clothes. So far, so good. 🤞🏼 I’ve gone to bed 2 nights this year (granted it’s only March) without cleansing my face and one of those nights, I woke up a few hours later and washed my face. 😆 

testing