Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare Routine of the Day

This is a place to share your skincare routine of the day!  Whether it be daytime routine or nighttime routine, I know you have one.  From simple to complex, expensive to inexpensive products: show and tell! If you are anything like me, your skincare routine changes daily. Skincare isn't as showy as makeup, but it is the quiet work horse of our daily lives. 20200118_005115.jpg

You might want to include with your post: your skin type, skin concerns (& the weather where you are).

Sometimes if all you can do is your skincare, that is enough.

Re: Skincare Routine of the Day

Sorry you're dealing with allergies and pollen, @itsfi !

Thanks @l8totheparty. It’s mostly concentrated in my eye area - dry eyes and dryness around the area. I’ll start carrying a mist in my purse and keep one in a drawer at work. And eye drops too. Increasing my water intake wouldn’t hurt either. It’s supposed to rain today and a couple of days next week so that will be good for my allergies. 😊 

Oh my gosh!! Allergy season already @itsfi ! I guess that’s one good point to living so far north, I just got another 7 or 8 inches of snow last night... allergy season will be s but for me yet.  Looks like you’ve got a solid game plan for dealing with them though! 

I know @missjeanie. It came so early. One of my colleagues mentioned that it’s going to be a heck of a season this year, and that if you don’t have allergies now, you’re probably gonna have them this year. 😩 I am looking forward to making a dent in my collection of under eye gel patches though. Hahaha! 😆 It’ll be the silver lining for the allergy season. 😝 

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your allergies, @itsfi! Your picture looks like spring, with all the greens and pinks.

This SPF product looks so lovely, I'm glad it works so well with your foundation!

Thank you @haleyvvvv. I’m a little surprised my allergies acted up this early; it’s usually April when they’re bad. My under eye gel patches will come in handy. 😉

I’ve been using this sunblock for a couple of years now and really like it a lot. I like to mix in DE D-Bronzi with it in the summer months. 

New-ish Routine

Cleanse and Prep

20200304_233208.jpg

Maskin'

20200304_233321.jpg

Actives and Creams

Pretend Luna is herePretend Luna is here

I follow a fairly regular schedule:

Typically always use It Cosmetics make up balm (if wearing make up), YTTP cleanser (if wearing make up or went out for an extended time) and SC micelle water (everyday). I've been following that up with a Biotherm hydrating toner (too soon to tell if its make a difference).

Sundays - alternates Biorace and Grace and Stella + Luna

Mondays - Brightening mask (+ hydration if necessary) and TO lactic acid

Tuesdays - Clay mask (+ hydration) and Inky List Retinol and Murad Eye Retinol

Wednesdays - Herbivore Prism for intense exfoliation (+ hydration)

Thursdays - Brightening mask (+hydration) and Retinol (depends on how skin is feeling)

Fridays - Clay mask (+ hydration) and TO Lactic acid and Murad Eye Retinol

Saturdays - Glamglow Gravity Mud for firming

I follow with TO Buffet every night, Fresh Youth Preserve Cream, Caudalie Premier Cru Eye Cream, Origins Drink Up Overnight Mask and Bite Lip Agave Lip Mask (old formula)

Oooh, nice line-ups! @haleyvvvv 

Thank you, @l8totheparty!

Ha ha I will pretend Luna is there if you pretend spf is in my every AM pic, @haleyvvvv 😄

Thanks for sharing, love seeing everyone’s picks. How do you like the Biotherm? Dermstore’s sale is going on right now and I’m making sure to pick up everything I need to make it through spring;)

Lol, it is in the first picture, I just keep it in a separate location than the other actives. I feel like we've all got some product we keep elsewhere, @eshoe and forget to photograph.

I've only used the biotherm a few days, so I can't really comment. I've been using at night, and then masking, and maybe I'm not waiting enough time but it feels like a waste to put it on before a mask then wash them all off? It is hydrating, but it does have alcohol high up and some fragrence oil; the instructions discuss it more as a cleansing toner but also restoring so 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Ok thank you so much, @haleyvvvv. Sounds like it might make a good pm toner.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, @eshoe, if you end up using!

Thanks for sharing your routine! We're skincare twins (sort of). I also mask on a daily basis and love some of the masks you featured (the Origins Original Skin™ Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay 2.5 oz/ 75 mL is my favorite for deep cleansing and getting rid of texture). Also, a huge fan of YTTP skincare. The Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml is one of the best gentle cleansers out there. I'm also obsessed with the Youth To The People Superfood Skin Reset Antioxidant Mask 2 oz/ 59 mL.

Yes!! Semi-masking twins, @PenelopeBT! That origins mask definitely helps just reset my skin, and calm down redness, it's so good. And the YTTP cleanser is one of my favorites, I love how it cleans without feeling like it strips my skin. I haven't tried that YTTP mask, but it looks like it would just reset the skin and be so nourishing.

Definitely so refreshing @eshoe!

Last night, minus the sheet mask-I wasn’t up for noting a new mask so I went with one familiar to me. 
DA7403C1-F688-434A-83DD-E103F2653F48.jpeg

One use left of the DE and the Skinceuticals. The Huxley Secret of the Sahara is something my skin loves, and has a light hydrangea/grassy scent. Very, very enjoyable to use. 

Been testing a new-to-me product since Monday morning. Here’s last night’s retinol routine, with doubled down BHA to combat new acne. Chicago’s in that fickle midwestern almost-spring weather period now: yesterday’s temps were in the mild 35-45ºF range. 

Products used in clockwise order, starting with the magical makeup wipes.Products used in clockwise order, starting with the magical makeup wipes.
Details:
Spoiler
Makeup removal: Koh Gen Do Spa Water Cleansing Cloths. I wanted to see if they could remove eyeshadow & liner. They can, and I didn’t have to scrub my lids raw in the process. They’re not as good at that as Paula’s Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover, though. 

Wash: Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser. 

Tone/essence: e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence. Forgot to test the Frudia toner again. 

Lip care: Aquaphor, topped at the end of this routine with Tatcha Kissu lip mask. 

Exfoliant: Paula’s Choice Clear Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution, applied only to my jawline. 

Serums: The Inkey List Retinol. (I usually cut the seemingly empty tube open and find a couple more nights’ doses inside, so I close it back up and try to reduce air exposure.) Then I applied NIOD Fractionated Eye Contour Concentrate all around my orbital bone. I’ve been using this day and night since Monday. I don’t unrealistically expect it to give me an injectable’s results, but it’ll be interesting to see what (if anything) these specific peptides do under/around my eyes this month. 

Spot treatment: Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel, applied only to acne spots.  

Moisturizer: Herbivore Emerald CBD Oil, followed by YTTP Superfood Moisturizer. 
March 2 was AHA + BHA night. 

The tube of balm next to the oil cap/dropper is just there to keep the oil bottle from rolling away. :DThe tube of balm next to the oil cap/dropper is just there to keep the oil bottle from rolling away. 😄
Details: 
Spoiler
Wash: Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser. 

Tone/essence: e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence.  

Lip care: Aquaphor, topped at the end of this routine with Tatcha Kissu lip mask. 

Exfoliant: Paula’s Choice Clear Anti-Redness Exfoliating Solution, applied only to my jawline and oily zone. Then I used FAB Resurfacing Liquid 10% AHA on my whole face. 

Serums: NIOD Fractionated Eye Contour Concentrate all around my orbital bone. I skipped my usual DDG eye serum because I wasn’t sure if my undereyes would need a retinol break—though the % of retinol in that eye serum is probably very low—during this NIOD Fractionated intro period. But that skin hasn’t flipped out over this serum + my full face retinol serum, so it’s probably fine to use the NIOD and DDG on the same night. 

Mask: Avatara Chill Out Face Mask. Though aloe’s featured in the sleeve design, there’s more cica (centella asiatica) in this mask than aloe—and my skin’s fine with that. It’s one of the few fragrance-free sheet masks I’ve come across that are pleasant to wear and give me good results, so I’ll definitely buy more of these. 

Moisturizer: Herbivore Emerald CBD Oil, followed by YTTP Superfood Moisturizer. 

@WinglessOne 

How's that retinol been for you? Is it something you would use again now that your at the end of this tube?

@missy94612  I love The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL! That was my second tube. I started using it last spring, after I’d used the much gentler FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate (just to see how my skin would react to retinol in general). I started with The Inkey List just one night a week for a few weeks, and also decreased my AHA exfoliation to just once a week to reduce the chance of irritation while my skin got used to this retinol serum. Then I ramped up retinol usage to 2 nights a week, and just kept gradually increasing usage until I reached every other night usage. I do full face chemical exfoliation 1-3 times a week, so I often end up layering AHA or BHA with this retinol serum. I’ve had no issues with that. 

The Inkey List Retinol contains HPR (hydroxypinacolone retinoate) plus retinol. HPR binds directly to skin’s retinoid receptors, so skin doesn’t have to convert it to retinoic acid before it can work. It’s also reported to be less irritating than than something like tretinoin, which also doesn’t need to be converted in order to work. After asking my dermatologist lots of retinol questions last spring, we agreed that an Rx retinoid would be too irritating for my skin and an OTC option containing HPR would be better for me. The morning after my first use, my face was ridiculously radiant. Other results—hyperpigmentation lifting and line/wrinkle reduction—have been much more gradual. 

The only time The Inkey List Retinol has irritated my skin was the night I used it on an already irritated patch of skin. I’d accidentally sprayed perfume on my face the previous day and that patch of skin reacted with red scaly flaking. Putting retinol on it within 24 hours was a dumb thing to do. 🤦‍♀️ But this retinol serum hasn’t caused and bad reactions on its own. Even during my slow into period, this serum didn’t cause lots of dry flaky scaly “retinization” patches like I thought it would. 

I have a third tube to open, but I might take this opportunity to try one of the Paula’s Choice retinol DS bottles I’ve received as GWP on a few PC orders. I also have a foil sample of Drunk Elephant A-Passioni, which I’m worried to try only because my skin generally hates DE products. Something tells me I’ll quickly return to The Inkey List.

And good grief, this is more than I meant to say on this topic. Friends always say about me, “ask her a question and you’ll get a dissertation.” 😄 I hope some of this was helpful! 

1 Reply
testing