Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare Routine of the Day

This is a place to share your skincare routine of the day!  Whether it be daytime routine or nighttime routine, I know you have one.  From simple to complex, expensive to inexpensive products: show and tell! If you are anything like me, your skincare routine changes daily. Skincare isn't as showy as makeup, but it is the quiet work horse of our daily lives. 20200118_005115.jpg

You might want to include with your post: your skin type, skin concerns (& the weather where you are).

Sometimes if all you can do is your skincare, that is enough.

Re: Skincare Routine of the Day

This morning’s routine was very quick and abbreviated. Didn’t venture outdoors or sit near any windows today, so no sunscreen. 

Washed & toned with IT Miracle Water; serum was The Ordinary Buffet; lip care was Aquaphor Ointment; moisturizer was YTTP Superfood Moisturizer.Washed & toned with IT Miracle Water; serum was The Ordinary Buffet; lip care was Aquaphor Ointment; moisturizer was YTTP Superfood Moisturizer.

Last night, I set everything out before I started my routine. I don’t like doing that because I prefer to let my skin tell me which variables it needs as I step through my base routine. So, of course, I wound up needing 2 additional products not included in the first photo. 

PM Feb. 15PM Feb. 15Also PM Feb. 15Also PM Feb. 15
Details: 
Spoiler
Wash: Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser.  

Tone/hydrate: e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence. 

Lip care: Aquaphor, topped with Tatcha Kissu Lip Mask. I think this lip mask has won me over. It’s the only Tatcha product I’ve tried that I can use with no irritation. 

AHA exfoliation: FAB Resurfacing Liquid 10% AHA. 

Serums: DDG Ferulic + Retinol Eye Serum on my undereyes. Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster on my whole face.  

Mask: Acure Radically Rejuvenating Sheet Mask. I don’t use these often because they contain geranium oil; that’s an ingredient I try to avoid, but my face can handle it in products I don’t use frequently. This mask is moisturizing enough to warrant the risk of essential oil irritation. 

Hydrating mist: Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist. After massaging the mask serum into my skin and giving it 10 minutes to soak in, I added a light hydrating layer between that and my cream moisturizer. The YTTP Adaptogen Mist would’ve felt too dense after that sheet mask.  

Moisturizer: YTTP Superfood Moisturizer. 

Spot treatment: COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patch. I’ve had these for a year now and I’m finally down to the last 3 dots. I don’t use these unless a pimple has broken open; for me, they’re not very effective on closed acne, so I prefer the Peace Out Acne Dots. Anyway, I applied a dot after my moisturizer. 
Feb. 14 was a typical retinol night. 

Feb. 13 is when I did an expiration check of 2 batches of masks and realized I need to use the rest of these pomegranate masks ASAP. Good thing my skin likes ‘em! 

PM Feb. 13PM Feb. 13
Details: 
Spoiler
Wash: Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser.  

Lip care: Aquaphor, topped with Tatcha Kissu Lip Mask. 

Serums: DDG Ferulic + Retinol Eye Serum on my undereyes. Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster on my whole face. 

Mask: Frudia Pomegranate Nutri-Moisturizing Mask. Whenever I see these at TJM or Marshalls, I grab ‘em. Not as enthusiastically as I grab my beloved OOZOO Bear Water-Bang masks (which are a rare find around here), but my skin likes these a lot. This is one of the masks I like to wear while soaking in the tub. 

Spot treatment: Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel, applied only to acne. 

Moisturizer: YTTP Superfood Moisturizer. 
Feb. 12 was a retinol night with a little variation. 

PM Feb 12PM Feb 12
Details: 
Spoiler
Wash: Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser.  

Lip care: Aquaphor, topped with Tatcha Kissu Lip Mask. 

Serums: The Inkey List Retinol, followed by Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster. I meant to mix those 2 together but forgot. After BHA spot treatment, I applied The Ordinary Buffet everywhere for my weekly peptides boost. 

Spot treatment: Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel, applied to my whole forehead and along my jawline. 

Hydrating mist: Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist. Meant to reach for the YTTP Adaptogen Mist instead but, eh, this was fine. 

Moisturizer: YTTP Superfood Moisturizer. 

I’ve been looking at the IT Cosmetics Miracle Water Micellar Cleanser 8.5 oz/ 250 mL for a while now! Do you just use it in place of washing your face in the morning? Does it leave any residue? 

@mazzkm  Yep, I use IT Miracle Water whenever I can’t do my full morning routine (wash with a gel cleanser, tone/essence, vitamin C serum, oil, moisturizer, sunscreen, lip serum, lip balm). It replaces my cleanser and toner steps, and occasionally the serum step. On me, it doesn’t leave any greasy filmy residue. It’s meant to be a cleanser, toner, and serum in one product, so you can pat any remaining product into your skin. To me, it feels like a very thin serum. 

7F3D4F45-BB1B-4914-AB33-E1B8958AE4FA.jpeg

Morning and evening skincare from yesterday! The weather is cold, and dry... I live in Canada, what’s new. My skin has been dry so trying out a couple new products to see if they’ll make my skin less dull. The DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum is my first time trying it out, definitely smells like hotdogs, but no adverse reactions and felt good on my skin. Going to keep using it in the morning for the next while and see how it goes! Another new product was the Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Night Cream + Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz / 59 ml which I really loved. I’ve wanted to try it out for a while but was trying to use up all of my Laneige sleeping mask (which I also love) before starting a new one. This one hydrated my skin really well, better then then the Laneige, and I really felt like my skin was more evenly toned this morning. The other product I’m starting to incorporate is the Origins Dr. Andrew Weil For Origins™ Mega-Mushroom Relief & Resilience Soothing Treatment Lotion 6.7 oz/ 200 mL not totally sure how I feel about this. I’ve had it for a while but wasn’t sure how to incorporate it into my routine. I’ve ran out of my usual toner, so I’m starting to use this as my toner step and we’ll see how it goes. The rest are my tried and trues, love them all! 

Yup @mazzkm, when @CookieGirl1 mentioned a vitamin C serum she was using was scented like ‘hot dog juice’ I knew exactly what she was talking about😆 Hope it at least brings some brightening to your skin to make it worth the while!

That YTTP is one of my favorite skincare products:)

@eshoe @CookieGirl1 @mazzkm Ooof, this is why I am weary of using my many samples of the C serum. It smells so terrible 😱. I'm hoping it's not every vial...

Truthfully (unfortunately?), @haleyvvvv , a lot of the really "good" vitamin C serums WILL have that weird hot dog scent.  If a vitamin C serum smells too good, it's either because the actual amount of vitamin C that you're getting is really pretty low OR the company uses quite a bit of added fragrance to combat the scent.  It's a trade-off to getting a more potent--and often more effective--product.

@CookieGirl1 @haleyvvvv, this is why I like the Neogen Real Vita C Powder. None of the bad scent, and it’s extremely versatile. There are a few vitamin C powders out there now, Sephora carried this for a brief moment last year. It has 17% ascorbic acid, (15-20% is what I see recommended from various sources ). 

I don’t know how effective it is in comparison with other vitamin C serums, but at least it’s tolerable to my senses😄

@eshoe I've wondered how the efficacy of the vitamin C powders compares to the liquid formulations but I've never taken the time to actually do any informed research and maybe I should because I really like the idea of using a powder and it sounds like it would be a lot more convenient than using a traditional serum.  The improved scent would be a bonus, too!  I think you've maybe inspired me to actually make it a point of looking into it sometime this week 🙂

I see TO makes one @CookieGirl1, The Ordinary 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder 0.7 oz/ 20 g. I’m tempted to try it, it’s 100% though and I’m pretty certain I would manage to cause some skin damage with something that potent🤷🏻‍♀️ Would love to hear about your journey!

Boooo, @CookieGirl1. It makes sense, but I'd rather use one with a fruity or other pleasant scent, even if it is fragrance, or a less powerful one.

Yeah, I know what you mean, @haleyvvvv.  For example, a lot of people use the OH Truth Serum and it smells lovely BUT it's truthfully not as well-formulated as it could be and the percentage of active vitamin C in it is significantly lower than a lot of other formulas.

That's what I am currently using @CookieGirl1. Its better than the nothing I was using before, but definitely not dramatic.

Use what actually works for you, @haleyvvvv.  If you can get by with a lower amount of vitamin C, do what seems right for your skin, of course :).  Hey, at least it smells better, lol.

@CookieGirl1 lol, I do have a lot of sample vials to get through, though, so I'll be trying the DE and Sunday Riley and so many others...and am preparing for the smell now.

@mazzkm  I also live in Canada and the YTTP mask is a must for me!!!

I just got the sample of the YTTP and I cant wait to try it! 

@ather @mazzkm 

@l8totheparty  Oooo I hope you love it!! 

Yes I finally used some of my points to get this one! Definitely worth it! 

@l8totheparty @eshoe @ather @mazzkm I LOVE that mask.  I've had mine for awhile and I'm actually actively trying to use it up since it's technically getting close to the expiration date (although it still feels/smells fine) but I can definitely see myself repurchasing it when my jar is gone 

@CookieGirl1  It’s such a big jar. I kinda wish they had a smaller one. I feel like it takes forever to get through it when I use so many different masks. 

7 Replies
testing