Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

I need your opinion. I saw this new product yesterday and I was wondering if this might be an essence. I sprayed this product on the back of my hand and it absorbed it 5 seconds. The French pamphlet says that this product is based on Asian skin care, so I was wondering if this might be considered as an essence? I have a few pictures of this and of the active ingredients. In the store I looked at the complete ingredients list and it’s very short, no alcohols, parabens or silicones . Here are the pictures:

Re: RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

You could probably count it as an essence, @keana1. Personally, I'd consider it more of a hydrating toner, but either way it looks like it would be a nice step in between cleansing/exfoliating and heavier serums. 

@quspork Thank you for your insight and opinion. I really appreciate it! 

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Hi everyone! I'm kinda new to skincare and could really use some advice. I have really oily skin and I have used face masks ( charcoal only ) and use an exfoliator occasionally. But my skin still feels the same. Is there a product out there that can help skin be or at least feel less oily ?

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Hi @LiloBaby 

I also have really oily skin. Skincare items that really help are: a lightweight hydrating serum like First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum, followed by a lightweight moisturizer like Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mLTatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL, or CeraVe PM moisturizer. Then use OC8 professional mattifying gel. Your skin will be hydrated and matte! 

I would definitely look into a new skin care regimen. My...

I would definitely look into a new skin care regimen. My skin has always been extremely oily and I've found Drunk Elephant products, Tatcha products, and Caudalie products work well. If you have a Sephora near you getting samples is a super helpful way to see if the products work for your skin.

@LiloBaby - How often are you using the charcoal mask and exfoliator? It might be that you're overexfoliating thereby stripping your skin of oils which it compensates for by overproducing oils. Also are you using a chemical exfoliator? B/c a gentle, properly formulate BHA should also help combat the oiliness.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but using an oil-based cleanser (eg. Micellar Water) might help w/ the oiliness. You'll want to avoid foaming cleansers as they tend to strip your skin. 

Are you using a moisturizer, @LiloBaby? I'm a big fan of the Belif Bombs and Caudalie's Vinosource Sorbet Cream. In general, gel moisturizers are great for oily skin. 

Anonymous Insider

Try using a cleanser designated for oily skin. I always recommend Fresh Soy Cleanser, Boscia Black Detoxifying Cleanser, or Korres Greek Yogurt Cleanser. If you skin feels right after cleansing, you are using the wrong cleanser. For Eye Creams, I would recommend First Aid Beauty, Origins, and Lancôme. Serums, I would recommend using Sunday Riley Good Genes, Ole Henriksen Truth Serum, or for scarring use Caudalie Vinoperfect Serum. A great moisturizer for oily skin is Kate Somerville Goat Milk moisturizer, Fresh Rose hydration (time release to maintain hydration throughout the day), or Drunk Elephants Retro Whipped Moisturizer. Don’t forget SPF. I recommend using Coola products. Boom. Skincare basics. Control your skin with the basics. Once your skin is where you want it to be, then you can start adding in other products like oils, acne treatments, and/or switching products.

Are you using a cleanser for oily skin? I like cerave. Also consider using an oil, so that your skin doesn’t over-produce oils. Might be something to research?

I'm not jaja ^.\ but thanks for the tip. Now if you don't...

I'm not jaja ^.\ but thanks for the tip. Now if you don't mind me, I'm going to go buy a cleanser

Re: I'm not jaja ^.\ but thanks for the tip. Now if you don't...

@LiloBaby When I was more oily I really liked Ole Henriksen products. Also, don't be afraid to try different products if something you get doesn't seem to agree with your skin... Sephora has a generous exchange policy because they want you to find things that work for you!

Hi Beauties! Do any of you know if there are magazines or recent publications ( books ) besides: Allure, InStyle, Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Glamour magazines that are dedicated to makeup techniques/products and skin care tips ? I would really appreciate your help because many of you are really dedicated and knowledgeable about anything related to beauty and skin care 😀.

There's a good YouTube channel called Gothamista @keana1 🙂

@pocketvenus Thanks! I’ll check that out !

@keana1 I agree with @SoraDixie about beautypedia.  Paula Begoun also has info scattered throughout her Paula's Choice website and Cosmetics Cop website.  I also own her books, and was just reading one the other day.  I highly rec "The Beauty Bible."  It's been years since the last publication, but I find the info to be sound.

Bobbi Brown also has a makeup book about eyes that I purchased but have yet to read.

RE: Re: RE: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

Thats so great (and you’re welcome!). I also try not to let her word be the final say in other products since the jury is still out on some of them, like some fragrances, which she thinks are always terrible die skin. She she thinks good genes is bad, which I just can’t agree with. But I had no idea that some products have straight-up alcohol in them, and I didn’t realize that if a container is in a jar open to air and life many of the good ingredients are going to die. Anyway, for me it’s a good place to double check products.

@greeneyedgirl107@SoraDixie Thank you so much for the information. I had googled beautypedia but I only read the professional opinions on specific products that aren’t Paula’s Choice related because of the high probability of bias. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me useful advice 😘

You're welcome, @keana1!  For what it's worth, I have found many non-Paula's Choice products on beautypedia that I am quite happy with.  FAB Pure Skin Face Cleanser, Clean Clear Persa-gel, FAB Retinol Serum, Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Charcoal Mask, CeraVe PM, etc etc etc.  

You probably already know about this, but Beautypedia is a website I like that has a ton of reviews of a ton of products. I have learned a lot from it. Of course it is saturated by the opinions of a woman who has her own skincare line (Paula’s choice). But it still has some great information. I also love love Lisa Eldridge who has a blog and a YouTube channel. She shares so many brilliant makeup techniques and articulates everything so well. I also love her skincare videos.

@keana1 That pretty much covers it for print magazines.

As far as books, there is a Nars book and the second Kevyn Aucoin book (Face Forward) available from Sephora. "Making Faces" is the first KA book; both are rather old, I mean classic, at this point. The Nars is more of a coffee table book. 

Dita von Teese put out a "Guide to Eccentric Glamour" book a few years ago that is worth a read, too.

731 Replies
testing