Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

@jtrapp agree with the others on the BHA; I've never tried the Paula's Choice one but I use and love the Ordinary's version.

A routine I like to use is to acid exfoliate, then apply a warm cloth over the pores for a few minutes and then apply a mud mask just to the area that's affected. The combo of the 3 tends to keep blackheads at bay for me.

Glad to hear you like The Ordinary's BHA @Mochapj

I'm just running out of my PC BHA, and have The Ordinary's version on standby. I've tried it a couple of times and so far have neutral opinions. It feels slightly stickier than the PC one, but the PC one does feel a tiny bit greasy at first (it doesn't stick around though)

@fatimamummy

@Mochapj It’s good to know Ordinary one works great. I hate paying shipping and brokerage fees for PC.I have only a week’s supply left of PC and then I’ll switch to The Ordinary.

You method of application sounds great and I would love to try it. If I understand correctly, You apply Salicylic acid solution on face ( with or without cotton? ) and then press wet warm cloth on face but you don’t rub or rinse it off, Then you Apply mud mask on top. Right? 

@fatimamummy not exactly, no.

Generally for the acid exfoliation step I will use something like a wipe off acid toner (Pixi Glow Tonic, Biologique Recherche P50, etc) or a mask like REN Glycol Lactic first. Then I apply the warm cloth. Then I apply the mud mask afterwards.  It really just depends how much time I have when I'm doing it whether I will use the wipe off toners or the REN mask.

I tend to use the Ordinary BHA as a maintenance product a few times a week, and use the above routine once a week or so to take care of any blackheads that might have snuck through.

Oh ok got it! Thank you for clarifying @Mochap 

Do you think it goes fine with PMD? Right now I’m using PMD every other week so I can enjoy the chemical exfoliating on the alternate weeks as well.

I tend to keep acid exfoliating separate from using the PMD @fatimamummy just to avoid any sort of irritation or overexfoliation.

I think if you are doing this routine in the area around the nose for blackheads and you want to do it during the same timeframe as PMD, then I would just avoid using the PMD on the area where you've been acid exfoliating.

@fatimamummy I avoid using acid exfoliation the PM of and the morning after I do microdermabrasion (I use the Silk'n Revit). One time I wasn't thinking and spot applied some glycolic treatment to a blemish, and the skin was red and a bit raw the next morning.

That make sense. Thank you @Mochapj .

@jtrapp I’ll second what @k617 recommended below. BHA is very helpful to keep the pores clean. I’m also using Paula’s choice 2% BHA liquid for a while now and quite like it. 

Another option is The Ordinary 2% Salicylic acid solution. I bought it a few days ago but haven’t gotten around using it so far , so I can’t say how effective it is. I think @lachaton mentioned a while ago that she was going to try it. I hope if she did, she can chime out to give use some feed back on how it comapares with Paula’s choice.

BHA (beta hydroxyl acids) like salicylic acid can be very effective against blackheads and breakouts. They are lipid soluble and can help dissolve the excess sebum that is clogging your pores.

I personally use and like Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid, but there are also masks and treatments with BHA. Always patch test to ensure you do not react, and introduce active ingredients slowly to avoid irritation.

@jtrapp Exfoliation and mud masks! My favorite products are Philosophy Microdelivery Resurfacong Peel, Ole Henriksen Pore Balance Facial Sauna Scrub, and Josie Maran Whipped Mud Mask. 

Looking for Moisturiser recommendations for dehydrated yet oily skin.  Trying to combat, winter and heating dryness. Thank you!

@RC1989 You got some great suggestions already. The only thing I would like to add (as I have oily skin as well) is to use a face oil at night. Ever since I started using a face oil as last step of my night time routine, the oiliness of my skin has surprisingly become under control. I wake up with soft skin without looking like oil slick. 

A good face oil will provide you hydration and will keep your skin from producing too much oil. I’m currently using Korress wild rose face oil I love it.

Edit: Ooops sorry I didn’t realize you were already recommended face oil by many lovely ladies. But hey no harm in repeating something good 😉

Thank you @fatimamummy ! All advice is very much appreciated! I did introduce an oil and I am really enjoying it so far! ☺️

The Dr. Jart Ceramidin line in the Gel-Cream or liquid. Also the Belif Aqua Bomb could work well for you. I found an essence is great way to add hydration, especially on oily skin. I can recommend Pyunkang Yul and May Coop Raw Sauce. Don't think either of these are available through Sephora, but a lot of Asian beauty stores sell them.

https://www.sephora.com/product/ceramidin-gel-cream-P399752?skuId=1738129&icid2=products%20grid:p399...

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-true-cream-aqua-bomb-P394639

@RC1989

Thanks so much!! @Aaliaa

Anonymous Insider

@RC1989, What about Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Ultimate Hydro Gel or Saturday Skin Daily Moisturizing Cream?  Both are lightweight but very hydrating and moisturizing.  Dr. Jart+ has a gel-cream texture while Saturday Skin is more of a light cream.

https://www.sephora.com/product/water-fuse-ultimate-hydro-gel-P419606?skuId=1956291&icid2=products%2...

https://www.sephora.com/product/featherweight-daily-moisturizing-cream-P423682

Thank you! @Anonymous 

@RC1989 Have you tried a facial oil? I love Josie Maran Argan Oil and Kora Organics Noni Glow Face Oil. Both are super hydrating but also balancing. Oil combats oil, so even though it sounds crazy putting an oil on your already oily skin, if it’s dehydrated that means it’s probably over producing oil. If you add an oil full of good for your skin ingredients and components, your own skin can stop overproducing. If that makes sense... I don’t explain it well, I just know it works! 

Yes to the face oils @alexasteph

I may need to explore this Kora Oil, thanks for the recommendation @alexasteph !!

17 Replies
testing