Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

You may have eczema or psoriosis... have you tried using a face peel before moisturizing?  

I have combination skin. My nose and forehead are oily year-round. During the winter, my cheeks get dry and feel tight. My chin is dry and flaky year-round. I'm looking for a good moisturizer (both day and night, can be two different ones). Foundation or BB cream recommendations would be nice as well.

hi @shyvicki ! it sounds to me your skin is dehydrated. not to be confused with dry (lack of oil), but rather a lack of water in the skin. this can cause an over production of oil, as well as a sensation of dryness (and even flakiness). i recommend trying a hydrating serum to supplement with whatever moisturizers you end up going with. my fave (and best value for money, tbh) is VICHY aqualia thermal serum. use before moisturizer a.m. and p.m.

make sure you're exfoliating regularly (but not too much). using an acid exfoliator will help both 1. keep your skin's pH at an optimal level (slightly acidic) which in turn helps keep oil production in check, and 2. help your skin absorb the moisturizing treatments. check out FIRST AID BEAUTY facial radiance pads (good price and super gentle yet effective) or something like PIXI glow tonic (which you can find at target along with the VICHY i recommended above). i think you'll find with these elements added to your routine, a myriad of foundations will work better for you too. 

Hi @shyvicki, skin is often oily (or dry) from a lack of hydration. I'd recommend maybe adding a few steps to your skincare routine like a toner and essence to add some extra hydration! For moisturizer I'd recommend OLEHENRIKSEN Counter Balance™ Oil Control Hydrator for the day and belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb for night. For foundation and BB cream, I'd recommend Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup or AmorePacific Color Control Cushion Compact Broad Spectrum SPF 50+. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

The Shiseido ones sound worth a try, thanks @mrsbaine. As always, go for retinol! @Mochapj may I ask what skincare and lifestyle changes you feel made a difference? I think parenting small children is my biggest circle-inducer at the moment, but advice to offset that is welcome!

@fairlywell it's been a few things in combination over the past 18 months or so.  Prior to that I needed both corrector and concealer for my undereyes.  I haven't had to use either in nearly a year.

- getting more consistent with a skincare routine

- making an effort to get more sleep

- eating clean

- staying hydrated via fluids

- keeping the eye area well hydrated with a good cream

- getting regular exercise

I included the eating and exercise because I find when I do these regularly it keeps my facial skin from looking puffy and dull.

I'm sure @Mochapj will chime in; for me, I did increase my intake of water which does help. I notice that when I have more water, my skin looks better. And when I have less sugar, it's even better. 

So I'm having some dry skin issues. I am having dry/flaky texture between my eyes. I'm not sure how to get rid of that texture. I exfoliate once a week, have normal/dehydrated skin, and am early 20s.

Also, I am somehow having more dry skin issues between the crease of my lid and my browbone. Should I use an eye cream there or just my regular moisturizer (which is the Peter Thomas Roth water drench cream moisturizer). Any help is definitely appreciated. 🙂

@fairlywell I can definitely see what you're saying for @KellW. I experienced the same symptoms when I was suffering from some pretty bad allergies. If they are allergies KellW, I'd recommend using an eye cream for the area, but make sure they're safe for using 360! The IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Cream can be used 360. (: 

If I remember correctly, the area in that area was a bit sensitive for me so be careful! I'd drink lots of water and make sure to keep your skin as hydrated as possible! 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT @fairlywell I actually do have fairly bad allergies, but I would probably rule them out since I'm on a daily anti-histamine (have been for almost 18 years) and none of my other 'symptom' spots have been acting up (aka no itchiness, rashes, bumps, runny eyes, or swollen body parts). So thank you for the help 🙂

I hope you find something that works! That dry itchy skin is the worst.  

Anonymous Insider

I'm not an expert nor my opinion is substantiated by any medical knowledge other than of my dermatologist, but I'm also on a daily anti-histamine (I take zyrtec) for years, that still can be localized allergic reaction as I once experienced something similar and my derm said it's still an allergic reaction (or any sort of skin irritation, as it also can be caused by rubbing). 

I may be totally off base, but you sound like me when dealing with allergies. My skin started really responding to allergens in my twenties, and for me it made a huge difference just to wash my face after coming indoors. 

As I mentioned below, I'm having some pigmentation issues and there are a few dark-ish spots on my face that I would love to get rid of. I am using The Ordinary's regimen for pigmentation in the morning and then I just purchased the Murad Rapid Age Spot Lightening Serum to use at night.

Have any of you ladies used this? Right now I put it on after I wash my face, wait a while, and then moisturize. I would prefer to use other products at night along with it (my retin A cream, other serums) but I don't know where it would fall in my routine. It's pretty thick, like a watery gel, so I don't know if it should go on top of other products or underneath.

Any tips/success stories would be appreciated! 

@JenniferOhJenny, I'm not sure what other products you use, but it's recommended to use products in the order from lightest to thickest. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

@MariekeBT I use a few thin serums and then a retin A cream. So I should probably apply the serums, then the Murad, then the cream, then moisturizer. Thank you!

Great thread! I am curious about products from The Ordinary - looking forward to some thoughts/feedback and what products are good for newbies.

@Anewxa it's really going to depend on what issues you want to address.

For example, I have been using some of their products targeted at hyperpigmentation for several months, but if that isn't an issue you have, it's probably not a product for you. 😉

@Mochapj hyperpigmentation is definitely my primary concerns followed by targetting very fine lines and some skin texture/clogged pores around the cheeks/chin. 

@Anewxa in that case you might want to check out the Niacinamide Zinc (clogged pores) and Alpha Arbutin Hyaluronic Acid (hyperpigmentation) serums.  They have a whole bunch of other products for fine lines but I haven't tried any of them, (so I'm not going to recommend) but their website was recently revamped and contains lots of great information about what products do what.

I'm not sure whether Sephora carries them as I buy direct from the Ordinary, but they are both 

Thank you for your suggestions @Mochapj, I will pick these two up and give it a go. I did see few of their products up on well(dot).ca and I will read up on their direct site too. 

testing