Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skin care

Hey y’all. I have horrible hormonal acne and am trying to start a new and better skin care routine. Any recommendations?? (Looking for products that are not too expensive; ordinary/inky list etc seem to work great!!)

Re: Skin care

As someone who has also suffered from horrible acne, I suggest you see a doctor. You may not need a dermatologist. You can start with your regular doctor & see what they say. 

My regular doctor is the one who gives me all my acne prescriptions. I use Retin-A ($80/year) and Spironolactone ($11/month). BC can also help & it's free with insurance 

Your skin care should consist of retinol, sunscreen & a moisturizer. 

For retinol, I get an rx from my doc ($80)

Moisturizer, I use the Neutrogena Hydroboost gel but I heard First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL is really good. 

I'm still looking for the perfect sunscreen 

I too have been a victim to adult hormonal acne. I'm currently 31 yrs old. Here is my routine that has really helped me keep my skin clear. Currently, I have combination skin. 

Morning Routine - I do not wash my face in the morning. 

1. I cleanse with Drunk Elephant E-Rase™ Milki Micellar Water 8 oz/ 240 mL 

2. I tone with Glow Recipe Mini Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 1.35 oz/ 40 mL 

3. Essence fresh Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence or I spray with Caudalie Beauty Elixir Face Mist 

4. The INKEY List 15% Vitamin C and EGF Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL + The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% 1 oz/ 30 mL 

5. Wishful Thirst Trap Juice Hyaluronic Acid & Peptide Hydrating Facial Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL 

6. I moisturize with a korean moisturizer -- you can get on Amazon. It is the Mizon Black Snail All in One cream (black tub) - so lightweight but soooo hydrating. 

7. Wishful Get Even Rose Face Oil 1.04 oz/ 30 mL 

8. Sunday Riley Light Hearted Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Daily Face Sunscreen 1.5 oz/ 45 mL - wait a little for everything to absorb between the serums/moisturizer/oil to prevent pilling of the sunscreen. 

Night routine: 

Oil Cleansers - important at night at removing makeup and sunscreen. I use an oil cleanser every night even if I don't wear makeup. It also helps your second cleanser work more efficiently. Here are my favorites:

1. The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL 

2. Dermalogica Precleanse Cleansing Oil 

3. Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 

Second cleanse - i would opt for something with salicylic acid. 

1. The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml 

2. Skinfix Acne+ 2% BHA + Azelaic Acid + Niacinamide + AHA Cleanser 5 oz/ 148 mL 

Toner/Exfoliant

1. I use the iNNBEAUTY PROJECT Down to Tone Resurfacing Acid Toner 4.0 oz/ 120 mL 

2. On alternate nights, I use the Alpha-H Liquid Gold Exfoliating Treatment with Glycolic acid 3.38 oz/ 100 mL 

Essence

1. fresh Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence 

Serums

1. iNNBEAUTY PROJECT Green Machine Vitamin C Dark Spot & Hyperpigmentation Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

2. iNNBEAUTY PROJECT Slushy Serum Moisturizer Crush Infused with Bakuchiol 

3. The INKEY List Retinol Anti-Aging Serum 

Moisturizer

1. Mizon Black Snail All in One Cream 

Oil

1. Wishful Get Even Rose Face Oil 1.04 oz/ 30 mL 

Spot treatments

1. Paula's Choice BHA 9 - SERIOUSLY THE BEST IN THE MARKET. THIS STUFF IS MAGICAL. i sometimes put it on my tzone area where my pores are more pronounced and it helps so much. This also helps with my breakouts. 

WHEW! This was a lot to type but I hope it helps. 

I love YOUTH TO THE PEOPLE!! I don’t think it is too expensive and it’s a clean brand. I have been enjoying their products for a while now. 

Tbh, I suffered from hormonal acne for years and the only thing that really put a stop to it was prescription products.  If you have access, check out telemedicine services like Curology that give you unlimited access to a dermatologist and custom-mixed prescription products for a low monthly fee.  Health insurance doesn't cover acne meds, and of course it can take forever to get in to see a derm the old fashioned way.  For over the counter prescription strength, Differin works really well but I found it caused BRUTAL purging (brought ALL the clogs up to the surface as nasty zits) so I had to add benzoyl peroxide gel to it.  This can actually cost more than Curology and don't come with professional medical guidance.

If none of that sounds possible to you, the best thing to do is to keep your pores as clean as possible with regular use of BHA like The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Anhydrous Solution Pore Clearing Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , careful use of an AHA like The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL  (mandelic acid is the most gentle), as well as equally cautious use of retinol The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL .  Start as gently as possible with a very low% of retinol so you don't overexfoliate your face which causes dryness, flaking, and tight red skin.

Also, just because your skin is oily doesn't mean it doesn't need hydration, that's actually the best way to control oil.  Find a nice oil-free moisturizer that makes your skin feel fresh and comfortable.  Do some Google research on acids and retinol before you dive in because these potent ingredients can be your enemy if not used carefully.  Good luck!!

@ananyauppu What's your skin type?

Oily!

@ananyauppu Me too, friend. I'd definitely recommend starting slowly as you build up a new routine. Starting too many products at once or using certain products too often can do more harm than good unfortunately. It's usually best to start a new product and then wait around 2 weeks before starting the next new product so that you have some time to check for any negative reactions that may come up. Also, to start, I'd suggest working on your base routine- gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Having this routine in place before you add any treatments will help keep your skin nourished and protected. After you've got that base routine going with products you are happy with, I'd suggest introducing a BHA serum two or three nights a week to help combat the acne. You may also want to consider adding an oil cleanser for double cleansing (that helped my acne quite a bit) and/or a good clay/detox mask once a week. Adding in a hydrating element (toner, essence, or serum) can also be helpful in balancing out oily skin. 

Here are a few recommendations you might want to consider:

cleanser: Cerave hydrating, philosophy Purity Made Simple CleanserFirst Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face CleanserYouth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanserfresh Soy Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser 

moisturizer: CosRx Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion, Etude House Moistfull Collagen Emulsion, Benton Snail Bee Steam Cream, Neutrogena Hydro Boost gel

BHA- SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads, Stridex pads, Paula's Choice BHA

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing