Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Skin care suggestions for 30-year old, acne/fine lines

Hi everyone!

I'm about to turn 30 and am looking for a new skincare regimen or additions to my current routine. I have acne-prone skin, mainly at the chin and jawline, and am noticing the first signs of aging, mainly a few fine lines that don't pop back as quickly at the forehead and eyes. I'm worried I'm too young and have skin that's too sensitive for retinol, but I've been reading about bachkinol as a possibility.

Currently, I'm using Dermalogica, Derma-e, and clinique products. I like them all, but I'm wanting mainly a toner and/or serum that specifically targets acne with anti-aging components for 30-year old skin. I'd also love to find an undereye cream that targets dark circles and fine lines around the eyes.

I've been reading and trying to decide about The Ordinary serums, Sunday Riley good genes/ufo clarifying face oil/auto correct brightening eye cream, paula's choice skin perfecting bha toner.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Re: Skin care suggestions for 30-year old, acne/fine lines

I’m 29 and the following night time routine gave me the best skin of my life for the last 2 years:

1. Shu Uemura cleansing oil go take off sunscreen and makeup

2. Cerave foaming cleanser as 2nd step gentle cleanse

3. Secret Key Rose treatment essence

4. Lancôme génifique serum

5. Lancôme génifique eye cream 

6. Cerave PM

7. Sulwhasoo overnight sleeping mask.

good luck with your skin journey, the key take away for me is double cleansing at night, using pH gentle cleanser (less than 6) and wearing sunscreen during the day (I use Elta MD UV clear)

I can appreciate the contrary nature of 20 and 30 year old skin. Been there, done that and bought the tee-shirt. I had flawless skin before I entered into my 20's and then developed acne. In looking back, I am now 61, I see how I should have handled it. The key is ensuring you are using the most gentle and neutral products to cleanse and protect your skin. Do not use astringent products as this will only make matter worse. I would recommend using a cleansing oil to remove all make-up. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but this does remove all traces of make-up and leaves skin soft and supple. A swipe of micellar water can remove last traces of make-up and then look at a light moisturizer (a.m. and p.m.). It is never too early to start look at a richer eye and neck cream as those are always the first signs of aging. Keep the face clean and use a light moisturizer over-all, but use a richer cream around the eye and neck areas. Gently exfoliating your skin and using a clearing mask such as that provided by Glamglow should help. 

RE: Skin care suggestions for 30-year old, acne/fine lines

This isn’t a product solution but I’m in my early 30s and have acne prone skin, mainly on chin and jawline. My naturopath put me on a supplement called Vitex it’s a hormone and cycle regulator but it’s helped me so much

everything @melzhai said about oil cleansing and not stripping your face dry is SO TRUE! I learned that at about the age of 28 (34 now) and man was it a game changer. 

Everyone's skin is different, but I would try starting out with The Ordinary's granactive in squalane serum.  It uses the same retinol derivative that Sunday Riley uses, and comes in a skin-friendly oil that is pretty much fool-proof for over-drying your skin.  You might not like it, but it's cheap enough that it's not a huge investment.  You might find that it helps with acne, but I wouldn't expect any results, exactly, from a retinoid.  It's all relative, but I'm sure that your skin has barely started to age, if at all.  Retinol is great to add, around this age, to boost your skin's resilience, but you probably don't have many signs of aging to be reversed in the first place, you know?

The Ordinary serum that really packs a punch is Buffet.  It's got a handful of active ingredients and peptides that primarily work to hydrate your skin and boost collagen production.  I think just a week of consistent use gives a bounciness and fullness to your skin, and it's so lightweight it layers and won't clog pores.  For example, expression lines around my mouth and eyes are starting to become more visible, but when I'm using buffet, they recede.

As for toner, if it's not too much trouble, I'd go for a toner / essence combo.  Choose a toner that has an exfoliant in it (the AHAs that everyone is talking about) but isn't drying. TO has a lactic acid toner. MISSHA's clear toner. son and park beauty water, shiseido's eudermine, tarte knockout (I actually think this is too harsh).  Then follow with a lightweight essence, something hydrating, with fermented ingredients, and then you get the exfoliation of a toner and the skincare boost of an essence.  Most of the essences that Sephora sells are super expensive (although dang tatcha's is good). Neogen has a great one, acwell, .. really just check out soko glam for that one.

Hope this is helpful!  It's really not that much. Cleanse. Tone. Find the right active ingredients you like. and cap it off with the right moisturizer.

And PS - happy birthday! Enjoy the next decade 🙂 I spent a whole year being terrified of turning 30 and I wish I could tell my 29-y-o self how awesome everything was going to be 

OIL CLEANSING!!!! It absolutely saved my skin. I used to have acne all over my forehead and on my cheeks - but following this routine changed my skin and now it’s almost like glass (aside from a pimple here or there). Oil cleanse (I use Burts Bees but any is good!), Gel cleanser (CosRX has some good ones. Must be gel, not foam), Toner (hydrating toners are actually much better for acne prone skin than astringents), Essence (I love LANEIGE), Treatment (I used Sunday Riley Good Genes which helped my skin a lot), and Moisturizer. I exfoliate once a week or so, depending on how my skin feels. I started seeing results in a couple of weeks. NOTE: I AM wearing a bit of skin makeup in the second pic (sunscreen + a bit of foundation mixed in). However,coverage is rather light and it only serves to even out my skin tone. It does not cover the few hyperpigmentation spots I have. There are no pimples or texture underneath.

@Anonymous  I like ROC's retinol eye cream.  I was also going to mention dermae, then I noticed you did also! 😛 I like their overnight peel and radiance toner, which are both exfoliating, but I don't have acne - I think they probably have some similar products for acne, though.  I also like their vitamin c toner & micellar water.

@DeviyaniTsai I think you could use retinol, just start very slowly and moisturize.  A good retinol for beginners is FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate

You can use it on areas that are acne-prone, as well as those you want to target for anti-aging.  

Another good thing for anti-aging is AHA; BHA is good for acne.  Paula's Choice makes excellent options.  Apply the BHA where you are acne prone, and the AHA on the other areas.

I would also rec reading reviews on beautypedia prior to making any purchases.  Good luck!  🙂

@Anonymous I am also about to turn 30 and your skincare concerns sound a bit like mine so I'll share the products I use and enjoy. 

You mentioned you're a bit worried to use retinol, but I've been using Drunk Elephant A-Passioni with their B-Hydra serum a couple times a week and haven't experienced any dryness, sensitivity, or irritation. The brand recommends using them together to help prevent any potential issues that may pop up. I also use the B-Hydra as a daily serum and I like it a lot.

One of my favorite treatment peels is Philosophy The Microdelivery Resurfacing Peel. It's a two-step physical and chemical exfoliating peel with vitamin c and bha/aha. I use it once a week. I like using Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads a couple times week as well, but those have been repackaged as Peptide 21 Amino Acids Peel Pads (they are the same thing though). Tatcha Violet-C Brightening Serum is a vitamin c/AHA overnight serum I use that helps maintain the results from the Philosophy and PTR. 

Currently, my favorite moisturizers are Belif The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb for my face and Clinique All About Eyes Rich for eyes. I also use L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil and Caudalie Vinoperfect Glycolic Essence for cleansing and toning. If I have a blemish, I use Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel. One of my favorite facial oils is Kora Organics Noni Glow, but I've been curious about checking out Youth To The People Superberry.

The final thing I will recommend is an SPF. I am obsessed with Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen. It's SPF 40 and does not feel or look like an SPF product at all. It leaves the perfect finish for days I'm not wearing make up and is the best primer I've ever used. 

I hope that's somewhat helpful!

I’d recommend the Transform and/or Glow line from Ole Henriksen!!!
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
Photos2
testing