Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skin care routine

Hi Friends..I'm looking to add dry to normal skin care routine and m 30+. There are tons of product out there so not sure from where to start, please recommend a skin care routine and which products should I use? Thanks so much

RE: Skin care routine

Sounds like we have similar skin types! You definitely wants to avoid anything with fragrance or essential oils in it because those can further irritate and dry out your skin. That being said, for a good cleanser j highly recommend the First Aid Beauty Pure Skin cleanser. It is gentle and non stripping. The Ordinary 10% Lactic Acid is also incredible, but make sure to use an SPF if you are going to use this product. Finally, the Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA moisturizer from The Ordinary is a game changer. It saved my skin. Hope this helps!

Re: Skin care routine

We've got similar sounding skin types, @Wadhera!! I'm early 30s, normal to dryish skin, a little sensitive and hormonal breakouts.

There's A LOT to skincare and it can be super overwhelming. I'll list a routine below and some recommended products in a couple different price ranges.

Morning

Gentle cleanse (PHILOSOPHY - Purity Made Simple Cleanser or the Origins one listed below. A lot of people like Cerave as well)

Toner (I love the DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Liquid but I'd try to find a balancing hydrating toner for the morning)

*Treatments (not necessary but can be nice)

*Vitamin C - Brightening (the The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% 1 oz/ 30 mL works to brighten but takes forever to settle into skin, some faves around the BIC are the Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL,  DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum, Glow Recipe Pineapple Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL and the SC Glow Oil).

*Hydrating Serum (Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL, THE ORDINARY - Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5, The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL)

-Eye Cream (can also just use your moisturizer; dont put on eyelid unless it says 360 safe. ORIGINS - GinZing™ Refreshing Eye Cream to Brighten and Depuff, OLEHENRIKSEN - Banana Bright Eye Crème, FARMACY - Cheer Up Brightening Vitamin C Eye Cream with Acerola Cherry)

-Spot Treatment (if you have any acne, any silacylic acid could work. The Ordinary has one, Melt has one, Sunday Riley has one)

-Moisturizer (BELIF - The True Cream Aqua Bomb, Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL, Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL)

-SUNSCREEN *this is a must (SHISEIDO - Ultimate Sun Protector Lotion SPF 50+ Sunscreen but leaves a white cast. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. A lot of people are liking the newer FIRST AID BEAUTY - Weightless Liquid Mineral SPF 30.)

PM

-Double cleanse (oil step, Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL); (foaming wash, Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser 8 oz / 237 ml)

*Masks and Treatments (definitely not a necessity but especially using retinol and or acids can be great)

*Retinols (Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Retinoid Night Oil 1.18 oz/ 35 mL, The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, Kate Somerville +Retinol Vita C Power Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, with all retinol, start with a low %, go slow once or twice a week to start and monitor your skin)

*AHA/BHA (AHA and PHA can help with skin resurfacing while BHA can clear our pores; The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1.7 oz / 50 ml, DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum, Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus, as with retinol, start low and go slow. Use a low percent or gentle product. Use once or twice a week to start on an alternate day to retinol. Monitor your skin)

-Eye Cream (similar as above, can also just use a moisturizer)

-Night Cream (FRESH - Lotus Anti-Aging Night Moisturizer , Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL or any thicker cream you like)

*Sleeping Mask (not necessary, but adds a lot of moisture. SUMMER FRIDAYS - Jet Lag Mask, Origins Drink Up™ Intensive Overnight Hydrating Face Mask with Avocado & Swiss Glacier Water 2.5 oz/ 75 mL)

Please consult with a derm, even digitally, if you can.

You can check out other's routine or post your routine in this thread, https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-Routine-of-the-Day/td-p/5146142

Re: Skin care routine

I have a few suggestions for you, based on the fact that we may have a similar skin type? For reference my skin is dry, somewhat sensitive, occasional hormonal breakouts, and small flesh colored bumps on my temples and under my eyes. Here's my skincare routine, I'm sure there are elements you'd like to investigate 🙂 

CLINIQUE All About Clean™ Foaming Facial Soap 5 oz/ 150 mL (you only need a tiny little bit, and I use it on a sonic brush). A good alternative to this and a very similar product in my opinion is the Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash 5 oz/ 150 mL. It has a slight tea tree scent to it, and it's very invigorating. I think it's quite comparable to the Clinique one I'm into. 

CAUDALIE - Moisturizing Toner this makes my skin so supple and clear

CLINIQUE - Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator this is my ride-or-die moisturizer, I love it so much. I would rather wear this than foundation when going out. 

Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Retinol Sleeping Face Mask 2.3 oz/ 70 mL this is an amazing treatment that makes my skin so silky and de-puffed 

I've been dabbling in a little bit of drunk elephant, particularly the Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL and it's pretty nice, I use this on my neck and chest (though a lot of people complain that it breaks them out, so keep that in mind). Their products are expensive and I wouldn't be using them if I hadn't received a sample as my Sephora Birthday gift last year. 

I use rosehip oil a few times a week and it leaves my skin feeling just amazing, I definitely recommend trying out dry oils (people are so afraid of putting oil on their faces but I swear it does wonders for the skin). 

I also really like SEPHORA COLLECTION - Face Mask and SEPHORA COLLECTION - Eye Mask before a big date or when my skin needs a little extra something. I like yeeting the eye masks in the fridge for an hour before applying, then it really helps to de-puff the under eyes while also making them hydrated and smooth. 

I hope this helps you! xx 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing