Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Skin care routine for dry and dehydrated skin

Hello all.

I am looking for suggestions for a skin care routine or even just products that I can use for my dry, dehydrated, sensitive skin.

Currently I am using CeraVe Skin Renewing Day Cream with SPF, Trader Joe's HA Moisture Boost Serum and Botanics Rosehip Oil. Along with various masks. But most masks make me react (rash, dryness, redness, bumps) so I have not done a lot recently.

My skin is the best it has been in a while and this is after much trial and error. But I want more. My skin is still not as good as it could be. So here is what I'm looking for:

Hydration

Soothing

Sun protection

Budget friendly

Cruelty free/environmently friendly preferred

I don't wear a ton of makeup on a regular, usually little to none, but when I do it is usually a full face so I need items that will work in general and for days where I need heavy hitters.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Skin care routine for dry and dehydrated skin

Hello! Glad to hear your skin is in a good place, I can relate to wanting to improve it. I’d recommend seeing a dermatologist or physician to get recommendations on the best skincare products. CeraVe is a nice line, though that particular product you use has a type of vitamin a (retinol), which should be used at night, not in a day cream with SPF ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’d stick with the CeraVe line, but just use what they have in the tub, or the night cream with niacinamides, and have a different SPF that you enjoy wearing/can reapply throughout the day. Two Sephora sunscreens I love are physical/mineral sunscreens. These scientifically offer the best protection. For dry skin I think Drunk Elephant would maybe work? Maybe. I often use Shisiedo. Skip testing masks, find a great physical sunscreen, see a physician about some real vitamin a (retinoids), find other moisturizers with urea, niacinamide, ceramides, colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno baby) especially for sensitive skin, peptides, glycerin, glycolic acid and other alpha-hydroxy acids like lactic and hyaluronic if you can tolerate them. Beta-hydroxy acid aka salicylic acid is good for acne/clearing pores, which might not be necessary for you. The only anti-aging ingredient widely approved by scientists is a prescription strength retinoid, or you can get over the counter differin gel. You must wear sunscreen with these products, they thin layers of gunk on your face meant to protect your skin, but can look aged. The only anti-wrinkle ingredient is sunscreen/sun protection (and good genes). Vitamin a and sunscreen used responsibly together can work wonders for skin appearance and skin cancer prevention. When you use your emollients/oils, make sure you use an occlusive/cream moisturizer like CeraVe to lock in the moisture. Best moisturizers have emollients to help fill in the cracks of the skin, humectants to draw moisture from the air and deeper layers of the skin to the top layer of the skin, and occlusives to lock in the water/emollients/humectants. Occlusives don’t have impact without emollients and humectants, humectants/emollients don’t have longevity without occlusives. In the morning maybe steam your face, or gently use a lukewarm rag compress to gently loosen up and exfoliate dead/dry skin. Before the water evaporates from your face, use a humectant such as Neutrogena Hydro Boost Extra Dry Gel and/or your oil of choice, then your SPF. At night consider a double cleanse. Perhaps with the Clinique Cleansing Balm, then CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser after. Then another oil/humectant, or ideally your retinoid cream, and the CeraVe moisturizing lotion. Fragrances have no value in skincare, and can indeed further damage your skin barrier and cause irritation. I hope this information finds you well. Nothing wrong with masks/self pampering 🙂 However, being diligent with moisturizing, using SPF throughout the day, double cleanse at night, retinoid and moisturizer, has done wonders for my skin and piggy bank. See a physician, you’ve already made the investment 🙂 Best of luck!
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing