Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Skin care routine advice please? Dry skin.

Hi guys, I’m pretty new to skincare. I started exfoliating once a week and I also started using clinique’s 3 step because that’s what was recommended, but it’s not working for me. I find that if I use it twice a day exactly how it says it seems to clear up my skin a little(I always have little tiny bumps on my forehead) BUT if I forget it once or twice then I break out and have little bumps all over which makes me so mad honestly 😡 . Also the step 2 clarifying lotion makes my face feel like it’s burning and the redness on my face gets worse. I want to make sure whatever I am putting on my face is actually good for my face and I dream of having smooth, clear, even skin. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thank you 💗

Re: Skin care routine advice please? Dry skin.

@Anonymous I also wanted to add that your skin might not actually be dry. It may be that the products your are using make your skin feel dry, but your skin may actually be normal or oily or combo, so the products we recommend for dry skin may not actually work for you after your skin stops reacting to the Clinique products. 

@superlemonhaze I don’t find Clinique skincare to be particularly good. That Clarifying lotion’s ingredients are hellacious. Alcohol, Witch Hazel, and Salicylic Acid 2x a day is a lot for any skin type. Try the First Aid Beauty Hydrating Toner with Squalane + Oats 6 oz/ 177 mL or look into K-beauty brands such as Klairs, which have several hydrating toners for a good price. I don’t really wash my face in the morning, I just rinse it with water and then use a toner. At night I use the belif Aqua Bomb Hydrating Jelly Cleanser 5.41 oz/ 160 mLbut the First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL is also really nice. Neither of them leave my skin feeling dry. If you need a new moisturizer, try the BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb. If you need an exfoliator, try the The INKEY List Polyhydroxy Acid (PHA) Gentle Exfoliating Toner 3.4 oz/ 100 mL or the The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL, but use them only 2-3 times a week. 

@Anonymous  Pretty sure there is fragrance in the Clinique products in addition to the denatured alcohol/witch hazel. Fragrance could be irritating your skin and causing bumps after it gets stripped of oils by the alcohol. First Aid Beauty makes some really gentle products that are reasonably priced, the cleanser, facial moisturizer, and serum are great. The radiance pads are nice too. They provide light chemical and physical exfoliation so you wouldn’t need an extra product for that. If you are doing physical exfoliation once a week that could also be irritating your skin or causing micro tears, especially if using a harsh product with large/sharp granules.

@AshGarcia 

Just want to clear one thing up: Clinique's entire line is fragrance-free. It's one of their core attractions. 

@Anonymous 

I do agree you need to get rid of the Clinique toner asap though. The alcohol is awful for any skin type, especially skin that already leans dry. Clinique does make some good products, but you do have watch for some duds, and pretty much all of their toners are terrible. Some of their cleansers are good, but some are overly drying...not sure which one you use, but it may be suspect as well.

I don't have dry skin personally, so my specific product recommendations are a bit more limited, but I'll second the mentions above and below for FAB and CeraVe. Both brands make great products at reasonable prices and there are plenty of options that are fragrance and alcohol free. 

@RGbrown  You’re right! I was thinking of the menthol... which really is just as bad for sensitive skin and probably the ingredient making her skin feel like it’s burning.

I use many high end products, because my skin is different most days, but on my dry days to stay nice and juicy I use Josie Maran you can't ask for anything better, also I had 3 biopsies done on my face to check for skin cancer, I was negative but I did have 3 marks on my face. Knowing that Argan oil heals, I wrote to the company they texted back to gently wash my face, use Josie's Argan Milk and the 100% Argan oil. I had a nice soft face and a healing face in a small amount of time. People think that oils make you break out, which I'm sure bad quality ones do but her products are in my experience was great. On her site there are small travel size ones to give it a try.

@superlemonhaze First, I would recommend not using the Clinique Clarifying Lotion. I am not sure which one you are using, but all of them have both denaturated alcohol and witch hazel at the top of the ingredients list, so it will definitely dry out your skin, especially if you're using it twice a day. I have dry skin, and I used to use the Clarifying Lotion 1.0, which is alcohol free, but it still has witch hazel. I only used it at night, and it was still quite drying.

I would recommend replacing the Clinique Clarifying Lotion with a hydrating toner. Other people with dry skin will probably give you some suggestions on what works for them. I am currently using the KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Toner. I squeeze a small amount into my palms and press it into my skin. 

I would also recommend only using the Clinique cleanser one time a day. If it's the Mild Liquid Facial Soap, then it has a very rich lather, so that will also dry out your skin. If you're using a lathering cleanser, I would recommend only using it in the evening and using a cream (non-foaming) cleanser in the morning. Some may also recommend not washing your face in the morning since you have dry skin.

I am someone who has to wash my face in the morning, so I use a cream cleanser as a happy medium. Once I started doing that, my skin started feeling way less dry. Many people swear by the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser. I tried it, but it irritated my skin. If you give that a try, I would suggest buying the travel size just in case you are a rare case like me. I am currently using the Mario Badescu Cleansing Milk with Carnation & Rice Oil in the morning and the KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Cleanserin the evening.

The last part is finding a good moisturizer, and I don't think the moisturizer in the Clinique 3 Step works for dry skin. The Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion never worked for me, and I'm guessing it doesn't work for you either. I would recommend finding a rich cream that is made for dry skin. You won't have to use a lot, but your face will feel the difference. My current face cream is the Kiehl's Creme d'Elegance Repairateur. 

Another suggestion is for the days when you exfoliate, which is something I also do. After exfoliating, I put on a hydrating cream or gel mask to bring back some moisture back to my skin. Then, I followed that with a hydrating sheet mask. I will also end my night routine with a hydrating sleep mask. 

Apologies for the long reply, but I hope some of it helps, and you're able to find something that works to give you the skin of your dreams!!! 

RE: Skin care routine advice please? Dry skin.

hey girl! there may be something in the product that is causing irritation to your skin. i used clinique as well and it didn’t work for me. your best bet is seeing a dermatologist or esthetician to find out what’s best for your skin type good luck!!
8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing