Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skin Care Product Recommendations?

Hey there! I’m looking for some new skincare product recommendations because i’m getting seriously tired of my acne! I have senstitive skin more on the oily side, especially my t-zone. Products with a lot of salycilic acid or unnatural ingredients burn my skin so I use Cetaphil for cleanser and Clinique’s dramatically different moisturizing lotion for moisturizer and they don’t burn but I can’t find anything that actually prevents pimples!! Please help! 

RE: Skin Care Product Recommendations?

going off of just what you said I would recommend doing a peel treatment for this type of thing. Acne is really a problem of bacteria in the skin, so you need something that’s going to clean out the bacteria, but also make sure to keep the balance of the skin’s natural flora. For a peel I would recommend the dr. Dennis gross peel pads, either the normal or extra strength (don’t worry, these are suitable for sensitive skin!) or herbivore’s blue tansy mask. The blue tansy mask has naturally occurring BHAs to replace salicylic acid mixed with other AHAs, and the blue tansy helps with redness/inflammation. Another great product to soothe and balance the natural flora is the dr Brandt hydrobiotic sleeping mask, it’s super lightweight and made with honey and probiotics! Hope these help 🙂

Skin Care Product Recommendations?

I've dealt with acne for 20ish years. Seriously, I first went to a dermatologist when I was 9 years old. At 32 I feel like I just now have a handle on my acne! Ive been mostly clear for over a year now! Here is what I've found most helpful. 1. Gentle face wash with a Clarisonic twice daily. I've been using First Aid Beauty's face wash (in the blue tube) and a Clarisonic with the deep pore brush head. 2. Exfoliation. The Clarisonic provides manual Exfoliation, but having a chemical exfoliant helps too. Sunday Riley's Good Genes or the First Aid Beauty Resurfacing liquid work very well for me. I use it at night, but I use it every other night or else it is too much for my skin to handle. 3. Eliminating all dairy. This was the most difficult thing for me because cheese and I were in a committed relationship. A couple weeks after a good skincare routine and going completely dairy free my skin was completely clear. I have caved in and had cheese or ice cream and the next day my face exploded with new acne spots. This has happened a couple of times, but each and every time I see that dairy directly impacts my acne. And if it's doing that to my face I can only imagine what it's doing to my insides. I've also noticed my depression symptoms have eased up and my knees aren't as weak/achy as they usually are. So, for me, dairy has a huge impact.

Re: Skin Care Product Recommendations?

I have sensitive, acne-prone skin also. I remember that the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion had mineral oil which caused acne for me. Maybe you can switch to a moisturizer that is more geared towards hydration and see if there is an improvement. Also, do you have a exfoliation schedule? Regular exfoliation really helped me. I wish that I had done it sooner. 

Thanks for the advice! I’ve been using the St. Ives apricot exfoliating wash once a week. What moisturizer do you suggest? 

Personally, the Drunk Elephant Sukari Babyfacial was a game changer for me. It is a chemical exfoliator, so it is less abrasive that physical ones. As someone pointed out, I would pick a hydrating moisturizer with less oil. I haven't tried the Belif Aqua Bomb, but I heard that it's amazing and easily accessible. Recently, I switched to one that  I got from Amazon called Bonajour Green Tea Water Bomb. It is super affordable and I love it!  Initially, I was exposed to the product through a Korean beauty TV show where they review products, analyze the ingredients, and conduct tests. The Bonajour product received high marks and I just had to try it 🙂 

@elarodz I completely agree with @quspork about the St-Yves apricot scrub, it’s too harsh for facial skin ! This exfoliant might even be worsening your skin issues! You should use a water based moisturizer ,there are many available! You should consider Belif products or other Korean water based creams.

Thanks!!

@elarodz Be careful with the St. Ives scrub- it's a harsh scrub that's known for causing microtears in skin. I'm a fan of gentle physical exfoliation, but a lot of people prefer chemical exfoliators for just this type of reason. As far as moisturizers, have you tried Belif? Their Aqua gel is good one for oily skin. 

Maybe you need to add a mask to your weekly routine. A clay mask would help with the oily skin.

Re: RE: Skin Care Product Recommendations?

I’ll try it, thanks!

I find my skin is st it’s best when I focus on hydration (product-wise) and not acne... acne products seem to just make it worse for me most of the time

Re: RE: Skin Care Product Recommendations?

Thanks for the response! what products do you prefer when it comes to hydrating your skin? 

This sounds counterintuitive, but what worked for me was to tone down what I was doing to my skin. I used to consider myself as an oily mess on my face, but I was using such harsh products that my skin was freaking out and overproducing oil. I switched to using cetaphil/cerave for washing my face, and eucerin for moisturizer and just spot treating with a treatment (really like the Burt's Bee's one, it's a liquid in a rollerball, can't remember the name) and then my skin slowly started to return to a normal state. Especially if your skin is more on the sensitive side, I would try being more gentle with it for a while and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been trying to do that with the cetaphil and Clinique moisturizer but it’s just been creating oil on my t-zone ☹️. I’ll look into the Burt’s bees roller ball though! 

@elarodz Have you tried Differin?  You can start with the OTC, and get an Rx if you find you need a higher concentration.

I haven’t but I’ll look into it. Thanks!

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing