Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Serums For Hyperpigmentation on deep or dark skin .

Hi I’m on the hunt for a serum that helps fades hyperpigmentation in deep or dark skin . My skin type is combination. I just purchased two serums by The Ordinary Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% and The Ordinary Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% .

RE: Serums For Hyperpigmentation on deep or dark skin .

Thank you for y’all recommendations will definitely add them into lives and will purchase them in the future .

Re: Serums For Hyperpigmentation on deep or dark skin .

Hi @CountessB ! 

I have a large patch of hyperpigmentation on each cheek, and the perimeter of my face is naturally darker than the center. I’ve done AHA exfoliation on a regular basis for about a year now. It’s very gradually lifting the hyperpigmentation by removing the top layer of dead skin cells. BHA (salicylic acid) exfoliation also helps. My current AHA serum is FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Resurfacing Liquid 10% AHA. My BHA is Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel. 

Retinol can also fade hyperpigmentation. It partners great with an AHA or BHA exfoliant: while the acid exfoliant works on the surface to clear dead skin cells, retinol works deeper in the skin to encourage skin cell turnover. Results take time and patience. I’m on week 5 of The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and the results I see so far have more to do with my skin’s overall radiance. But in a month or 2, I expect to see more fading of my hyperpigmentation, especially once I’m able to use retinol at least 5 nights a week. (I’ve been slowly ramping up from 1x/week; I’m on 2x/week now and will increase to 3x/week next week.) 

I do have a vitamin C serum: Youth To The People Superfood Firm and Brighten Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL But I’ve been very inconsistent about using it. My daily AM & PM moisturizer (Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 mL ) also contains vitamin C, so my skin still gets a regular (though probably less potent) dose of that antioxidant. 🙂 

Your product recommendations are bomb! I was going to mention retinol as well, but you beat me to it! I might try out some of the things you mentioned. Btw, how do you link products?

@RhiRhi98  Thanks! If you try any of those products, I hope they work well for you! 🙂 

To tag products, type the hashtag and just start typing the brand and product name. If you see a “Tag a product” option above the Reply to Post field, you can also click that. 

Here’s how it looks via iPad (tablet viewport); I don’t recall if it appears via iPhone (smaller viewport). I know all the font options (bold, italic, etc.) don’t appear via phone.Here’s how it looks via iPad (tablet viewport); I don’t recall if it appears via iPhone (smaller viewport). I know all the font options (bold, italic, etc.) don’t appear via phone.

I’ll warn you that tagging products is kinda glitchy right now: don’t try tagging 2 or more products without putting a line break between each one. It used to be much easier to tag things; hopefully Sephora BIC’s tech team will fix it in the near future. 

Oh okay! Awesome! Thanks so much!

I will also say though that vitamin C can be an irritant for some people’s skin, so please start with a very small amount mixed into your moisturizer before just slapping it all over your face. You want to know if your skin will accept it first. 

I like anything with vitamin C in it! I don’t know if you’ve tried vitamin C products before, but they increase cell turnover rate so that hyperpigmentation and acne scars fade faster. My two favorite vitamin C products are the Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum and the Glow Recipe Pineapple-C Brightening Serum.

C-Firma is packed with all kinds of different acids that help increase cell turnover rate, and is good for: dullness and uneven texture, signs of aging, loss of elasticity, and uneven skin tone. This has done absolute wonders for my skin over the past two months. I have a lot of acne scars, and they’re all almost completely faded. Beware though, Drunk Elephant doesn’t use any artificial fragrances in their skincare, so it smells kind of funky. If you can get over the smell, it will no doubt be a holy grail in your skincare routine!

If you can’t get over the smell, however, I recommend the Pineapple-C Brightening serum, which is formulated with bromelain enzymes (a natural source of vitamin C) and AHAs. It does the exact same thing as C-Firma, just with a lovely pineapple smell as it’s made with like, 60-80% (I think) pure pineapple juice!

Both of these products are good for any skin type. Hope this helps!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos1
  • Here’s how it looks via iPad (tablet viewport); I don’t recall if it appears via iPhone (smaller viewport). I know all the font options (bold, italic, etc.) don’t appear via phone.
testing