cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Serum suggestions?

Hello! So I have my skincare routine but recently I ran out of my Derma E Salicylic Acid Serum (which really did wonders for my acne, and it’s pretty inexpensive) but instead of replacing it I got a salicylic acid cleanser by The Inky List. So now I have a gap in my skincare routine and I just can’t decide on a serum. Like I’ve heard great things about Vitamin C, but then also Retinol, and Hyloronic Acid. For context my skin is combination oily, normal, and dry. But mostly oily. I am a teenager with teen acne and blackheads. I could really use the help so does anyone have recommendations? It doesn’t have to be a specific product, even just the type would be helpful. Thank you!

Re: Serum suggestions?

@Anonymous The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL is great The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL Kate Somerville EradiKate® Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment are also in my routines

RE: Serum suggestions?

One fantastic, all around product is niacinamide by the ordinary. Since you’re using a salicylic acid cleanser already, I would be weary of using another product that is in the anti acne acid genre. The great thing about niacinamide is it doesn’t cause any side affects or irritation. It helps control sebum production (which is a big factor in acne) and minimizes pore or any damage from acne. It is a great all around product and a nice serum to add into your routine!

Hi @Anonymous!

You should check out the Skincare Serum 101 video on Sephora IGTV!  I just watched it and learned so much from it!

I'm super interested in the Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform® Treatment Serum 1 oz / 30 mL, The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) Blemish + Blackhead Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and Farmacy HONEYMOON GLOW AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Hydrating Honey + Gentle Flower Acids.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Serum suggestions?

Hello! Thank you for your help @RAWRitsRED! Is that on their instagram? Or can I find it on YouTube (I’m only asking because I don’t have Instagram) thanks!
Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Serum suggestions?

@RAWRitsRED thank you so so much! That’s very helpful! I really appreciate it 💗💗💗

Re: RE: Re: Serum suggestions?

@Anonymous 

I haven't found the exact video on Youtube but Sephora has a bunch of videos on Youtube so maybe you'll find something.

These are the notes I took from the Skincare Serum 101 video:

Skincare Serums 101

Serums are a great way to customize your skincare routine, target skin concerns,

Think about what you want to achieve and where you want to achieve it

Customize skincare to make your skin look its absolute best

With serums, you can customize your routine, layer, build your skincare up so it’s exactly what you need on the day you need it, customizing is the key to great skin

If using hyaluronic serum, you must apply moisturizer on top

Firming, hydrating,anti- aging, tighten skin, plump

• The Ordinary Buffet + Copper Peptides 1%
    • Peptides are great for anti- aging, best way to improve plumpness, firmness, elasticity
      • Helps produce collagen
    • Copper peptides are new in skincare products
      • Helps with collagen production a lot
    • Lightweight, filled with peptides, matrixyl for anti-aging, copper peptides
    • Use day or night, oily skin, feels like nothing, any age

Dark Spots

• Dr. Brandt Dark Spots No More Triple Acid Spot Minimizing Concentrate
    • Triple acid blend that's dedicated to helping reduce and control melanin production
    • Lightweight serum
    • Only need to use on the spots where you have issues
      • Don't need to put it all over your face
      • Only works in the area where melanin is being overproduced
    • Use day or night
    • Can use on acne spots

General Resurfacing: Texture, Fine Lines/ Wrinkles, Acne Scarring

Topical, textural concerns that you want to resurface

• Shani Darden Retinol Reform
    • 2.2% retinol, really high, effective amount of retinol, not for beginners
    • Encapsulated retinol: gives it a little more protection can be absorbed and utilized by your skin a lot more gently and effectively, makes it ok for sensitive skin
    • Has lactic acid: gentle, slow moving, skin exfoliator, gets rid of top layer of dead skin cells
    • Retinol is best anti-aging ingredient, helps with blemishes, fine lines/ wrinkles, dark spots
    • Start 1 night a week

• Farmacy Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum
    • Good alternative to Shani Darden Retinol Reform
    • Works on top layer of skin, exfoliates and removes dead skin cells throughout the night
    • Wake up to glowing skin in the morning
    • Good for sensitive skin, anything with honey is great way to soothe and calm
  • Inkey List BHA Blemish + Blackhead Serum
    • Apply only on affected areas where you get acne, breakouts, blackheads
    • Absorbs quickly
    • Serum seeks oils in pores, scoops everything out and cleans pores out, minimizes pores and current and future breakouts
    • Great way to customize skincare routine for specific areas you need it

Eye Serum

• Dermalogica Biolumin C Vitamin C Eye Serum
    • Vitamin C: brightens, lightens, tightens
    • Great antioxidant
    • Made specifically for eye area
    • Lightweight

Hi @Anonymous ! What specific skincare issues do you want to address that aren't covered by your current routine? I find it's best to start from a "what problem do I want to solve" perspective, then learn which ingredients can address that problem, and find products that contain those ingredients. 

Is your salicylic acid cleanser treating your acne as well as you'd like? 

What else do you use on your face? What's your entire routine? You might already be getting vitamin C and hyaluronic acid via products you currently use, so you might not even need a separate serum. And retinol is something you probably don't need as a teenager. 🙂 

What you DO need is a sunscreen with minimum SPF of 30. Do you already use one? 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing