Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Serum recommendations for dehydrated skin?

Hi everyone, I've recently compromised my skin barrier, making my skin both dehydrated, sensitive, and breakout prone. As a result, I've seriously simplified my skincare regimen, but now I'm looking to incorporate a serum (perhaps an antioxidant?), as I think it would work well for my situation. Any recommendations?

A bit more about my skin type: I breakout rather frequently, though my breakouts are generally not severe (a few red bumps that generally subside on their own in a couple days, or in a single day when I apply spot treatment). My main concern, however, is uneven texture (from persistent clogged pores). Given my skin type, I think an antioxidant serum would work well for me, but I'm also open to other types of serums if you think they'd be effective!

My current skin care routine: a gentle Avene cleanser; La Mer's The Concentrate (I got a sample of this because I thought it'd work for my skin type; sadly, it feels bougie but doesn't make a noticeable difference on me); and a CeraVe moisturizer with ceramide and niacinamide (to rebuild my skin barrier).

Some criteria for the serum: I damaged my skin barrier by being overzealous with active ingredients (retinol, AHA, BHA, vitamin C, etc.); therefore, I'd like to avoid these ingredients if possible (:

To conclude, I'm looking for a an effective but gentle serum to help with clogged pores/ uneven skin texture while still respecting my skin barrier. Any and all recommendations are welcome!

Serum recommendations for dehydrated skin?

Oohh!! 😰😰 i have the exact same problem and also in the span of 4mnths got some forehead wrinkles!! my poors are huge, oily, and my skin feels parched. how did you manage to repair your skin amd how long did it take? Current Skincare (1mnth): - Cerave Hydrating Cleanser - Vichy Mineral 89 - Avene Hydrating Serum - Cerave PM moisturizer thank you!!

Re: Serum recommendations for dehydrated skin?

I've got hypersensitive skin thanks to medication (but fighting long-term illness comes first so that's just how it is for now) and the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum worked really well for me.  I've had to reduce my budget (yaay medical bills) so recently switched to The Ordinary's Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 serum which is almost as good but not as hydrating and a bit tacky until I put my moisturizer on.  If you have the $36 to shell out for the FAB serum that's the one I'd go with.  It's gel-based as well so I find it to be quite soothing when I apply it, but it sinks in and leaves my skin feeling like I just put some nice moisturizer on.

You might try Deciem The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%.  

For an antioxidant, you might want to try The Ordinary EUK 134 0.1%.  It is not on the Sephora website yet but I am guessing it will be in the new year.  

RE: Serum recommendations for dehydrated skin?

Rosehip Oil helps a lot. I purchased mine from Marshall’s for $7!!! And a little bit goes a long way.

Hi @carolinetangsounds like you’ve got a good regimen going I would highly recommend adding two things yes for the serum check out biologique rechechere site shop for serums specifically for what you need ( serum iribol, marine, t.e.w.l. To name of few) read about these - they are amazing life changing and you will see results fast and also the toner P 50 it’s going to bring your skin to a whole new level of healthy balanced glow. 

hi @carolinetang! i have combo leaning dry skin, and also experience clogged pores/hormonal breakouts. I have been experimenting with a lot of skin care, and here's what worked and didn't work for me:

most AHA and BHA's are easy to overdo, and dry my skin out as well, but i have had really good luck with the pixi glow tonic, and sunday riley good genes and luna oil. the UFO was extremely irritating, so i'd avoid that for sure. 

my top products this year are the herbivore phoenix facial oil and january labs brightening tonic. my breakouts have almost completely stopped since i incorporated these products, my hyperpigmentation and congestion are WAY better, and my skin never feels dry or tight. i really love good genes and luna at night, but during the winter i stick to one or the other as i think that combo can be a bit drying. i am also a big fan of the sunday riley CEO serum, or for a cheaper alternative, the ordinary azelaic acid or buffet serum. vitamin c and lactic acid tend to work well for my skin vs. salicylic acid (which is irritating). i hope this helps! feel free to ask any questions 🙂

@unfungirl I second the Herbivore Phoenix and The Ordinary's Buffet suggestion! I have used both products and love them both. I believe Phoenix has seabuckthorn which is a great oil for irritated skin, as well as other oils that are targeted towards skin that needs a little extra nourishment. Jojoba is supposed to be the closest to our skin's natural sebum so absorbs well. Since I have normal/oily skin, I use this on nights I feel I've been a bit harsh to my skin.

Buffet is an excellent serum for improving skin elasticity and texture. My skin has been smoother and more radiant after I started using this. 

@carolinetang If you're open to oils, I think dehydrated skin can really benefit from one. The Phoenix mentioned by @unfungirl is a good one to start with. At first it *may* seem like it's just sitting on top of your skin as it may take some time for your damaged skin to absorb it, but do give it time - once your skin slowly improves, it'll absorb oils much better. If you don't want to go full-in to oils, try a non-oil moisturizer like squalane - apparently our skin naturally produces it, so what better way to hydrate and nourish our skin with something it makes? I love Biossance Squalane Vitamin C Rose OIl and Peter Thomas Oil 100% Squalane Oiless oil - both are in my routine and hydrate without clogging pores. 

May I also suggest another serum - it's not an antioxidant unfortunately, but I find the texture and product soothing and hydrating. The Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin serum is a serum I add to my winter routine when we get harsh winds outside. It is slightly fragranced so if you are also super sensitive to fragrance I'd stay away, but might be worth grabbing a sample? 

@k617  yessss! i am a big fan of the Biossance Squalane Vitamin C Rose OIl too! i love the phoenix because of the anti-inflammatory ingredients (turmeric) and it was so soothing after i seriously over exfoliated. I also love the dr jarT! i was so afraid of face oils for so long, but they made a huge difference in my skin when i finally started experimenting with them. anti-acne products were damaging my skin, and i had no idea until i quit using them! rosehip oil is also amazing.

@unfungirl I didn't know it had turmeric! Is that why it's so golden yellow??

@k617 i think it's mostly from the rosehip oil, which is also super soothing!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 44 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing