cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Serum- Vitamin C? Hydrating?

Hey!!

I’ve recently started to create a skincare routine because my makeup seems to look best when i take care of my skin. I also am turning 30 this year and want to take better care of my skin. 
Anyway- i already have a cleanser, liquid exfoliate, and moisturizer that i love, however i see people talk about serums and I don’t have one yet. I have a few questions that I’m hoping you all can help me with:

a) do i need a serum if i am already using a liquid exfoliate? (I love the Paula’s choice 2% bha)

b) if i need a serum i’m torn between either a Vitamin C serum or a moisturizing serum- which is better? If i already use a moisturizing cleanser (i use the SkinFix oil foaming cleanser and absolutely love it) and i use the SkinFix triple lipid peptide cream which is super moisturizing, do i even need a moisturizing serum?

c) any recommendations on serums?

For reference: i have normal/slightly dry skin. My skin is sensitive and acne prone at times. I have rosacea so i am constantly red and have dark undereye circles. Brands i currently love or have tried and like are: Paula’s Choice, Farmacy, SkinFix and Summer Friday. But if you have other brand recommendations i am open to others!

sorry this was alot! But I appreciate all the help i can get!!

Re: Serum- Vitamin C? Hydrating?

I’m new to the Sephora community but definitely Not new to skincare! So, while I don’t think serum’s are necessarily a “necessity”, it doesn’t mean I don’t think they have good benefits that can up your skincare game. Especially with the benefits of vitamin c. I myself have rosacea, acne prone, sensitivity, dryness, and have perioral dermatitis. Needless to say, my skin is picky. BUT, I love trying new things that I think will help my skin. I’ve tried at least 5 different vitamin c serums. They either made my skin burn, or the texture was tacky and too unappealing to use. My last and final serum that I’ve used is OAM Vitamin C Brightening Serum. And when I tell you it’s good.. it’s good. I’m on my 3rd bottle, and it’s done wonders in brightening my skin’s uneven tone and texture. Best part is: it does NOT burn or pill. It has a very light watery texture, has none of the bad stuff, and my skin literally soaks it up. It is a bit on the pricey side. But if you’re willing to spend a few bucks and give a try, I highly recommend it. I’ve recommended it to 2 other friends and they are in agreement. If you want to try a vitamin c serum, I definitely think OAM is the way to go. And it won’t irritate your rosace! 

Re: Serum- Vitamin C? Hydrating?

@juliemyers - You don't need a serum.  It sounds like you already have a good routine.  A serum addresses something specific.  For example, you talk about moisture and being slightly dry.  You might want to look at a hyaluronic acid such as The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL.  For your redness, maybe try a product with cica such as Dr. Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Calming Mist 1.69 oz/ 50 mL .  I personally use the hyaluronic acid tagged, SEPHORA COLLECTION Acne Treatment Gel 1 oz / 30 mL (salicylic acid), and #The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL .  I prefer to keep my routine as minimal as possible.

You'll want to be carefull that the product won't irritate your rosacia.  I believe vitamine C as well as retinol products might.  I could be wrong, so do your research!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing