Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

SOS Skin Care for a College Student

I'm experiencing the decline of my  skin and I don't know what to about this.

Hi Ladies, I am new to the group and I was hoping I could get some answers for my newfound troubles. I recently moved to a bigger city to start my university studies, but as soon as I moved out I started breaking out. I cut out on dairy, stopped wearing makeup for a week, temporarily took a break from my skincare routine (that used to work) and washed my bedsheets. I'm not a stranger to pimples; I used to have them, just one at a time and they would disappear within 3 days. Now it takes a week or more for it to disappear and it would leave a scar. Does anybody have any suggestions on budget-friendly products available in Sephora that would help out my case? If this ever happened to you , or someone you know feel free to comment 🙂 

P.S I have dry to normal skin 

Re: SOS Skin Care for a College Student

@LouiseNatasha Congrats on starting school, super exciting!

When you say your skin is declining, do you mean you're experiencing more frequent breakouts? Are you getting larger pimples in new spots, lots of smaller breakouts everywhere, rash/subcutaneous bumps, increase in skin texture, redness, etc? A little more detail on what exactly is going on would be helpful!

That being said, stress and change in environment/climate can absolutely wreak havoc on your skin. I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, but large changes in humidity, dust, and even pollution can throw your skin out of wack. Add in the whirlwind of starting school, late nights, change in daily schedule, and it's a wonder any of us made it through college! 

I moved from one coast to the midwest for college and it took my skin a few months to figure out what was going on. And then inevitably when I went back home for break, I'd have issues all over again! Without knowing your specifics, I'd recommend a couple of things:

- More hydration and more sleep - water is your skin's best friend!

- Resist the urge to DO too much to your skin, slowly add back products you've been using one by one and see how your skin reacts. 

- Avoid over cleansing, people see breakouts and immediately starting over washing/over exfoliating/ over treating their skin which can irritate it, and lead to even more breakouts.

As for products, what were you using before? 

Thanks for the advice! 

When I said decline I meant the quality of my skin, more dullness, bigger pimples and redness around it, a few bumps that when I squeeze somethick icky comes out and my skin is itchier and I find myself scratching on it more often . I also developed blemishes, similar to sun spots/dark spots on my cheek , which I tried to prevent knowing that I'm more prone to it due to genetics. 

For skincare I use AllClear! Cleansing oil whip, Nuxe Gentle exfoliating gel ( once or twice a week), and Vichy Early defense eye cream. I used to use Tarte Maracuja oil as a moisturizer for day and night but when I started breaking out I started using Drops of Light Brightening day cream by the Body Shop and Night cream with cotton extract for sensitive skin by Burt's bees. 

@LouiseNatasha Sounds like your skin is a bit dry and congested. I would add in a hydrating step in the morning and night (perhaps an essence or serum, patted into your face after cleaning, before moisturizer/oil), or even sheet masks to help soothe the irritations. Unfortunately, picking at your face will just encourage more blemishes, so definitely do your best to avoid touching your face too much. 

Look for serums with hyaluronic acid. Serums can get pricey quickly, so I absolutely recommend trying samples/foils before taking the plunge. I hesitate to recommend the Ordinary (since the company is in constant corporate upheaval) but they have very affordable and effective serums worth looking at. If you're feeling splurgey, my HG is CAUDALIE - Vinoperfect Radiance Serum which I love and use daily.

If it were me, I'd skipping the exfoliating gel in favor of a chemical exfoliator with AHAs/BHAs to clear off dry, dead skin cells to help with the dullness. Not to beat a deadhorse, but I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus. I personally use the extra strength versions (there are additional anti-aging ingredients) but these pads...miracles! A less potent and more affordable option are the FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Padsor NEOGEN DERMALOGY - Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling - Green Tea. I've used both and love both (though for slightly different functions).

Thanks a lot, 

I'm glad that you reccomended these to me, some are actually familiar to me and I've been eyeing for a while now. I was just hesitant to try it in case it makes my skin worse .You definitely convinced me to try out some of these products! 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing