Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware
|

SKINCARE HGs !

i've seen this type of question asked more generally, but i wanted to ask it specific to skincare. not only is it interesting to see what has really worked for people, but it'll maybe highlight some products others are interested in trying !

so: what are specific products that would cause you to hyperventilate were you to run out ?

mine currently are:

cleansers

• CLINIQUE take the day off cleansing balm (makeup removal)
  • NUDE SKINCARE perfect cleanse omega cleansing jelly (skin cleanser)
  • PIXI glow mud cleanser (economical)
  • OMOROVIZCA thermal cleansing balm (luxury)

toners (acids & hydrating)

• FIRST AID BEAUTY facial radiance pads (AHA)
  • PIXI glow tonic (AHA)
  • PIXI milky mist (moisture)
  • MURAD essential-c toner (moisture/essence)
  • DR DENNIS GROSS ultra gentle alpha beta peel (AHA)...this is like a toner/serum/mask hybrid that i don't really know where to put on this list !

oils and serums

• CLARINS lotus facial oil
  • CLARINS blue lotus facial oil
  • MURAD hydro dynamic quenching essence (serum / luxury).
  • VICHY aqualia thermal serum

moisturizers

• PETER THOMAS ROTH rose stem cell bio repair precious cream

masks (i like to have an arsenal for different purposes)

• REN glycol lactic radiance renewal mask (resurfacing)
  • PETER THOMAS ROTH rose stem cell mask (hydrating / soothing / toning / brightening)
  • PIXI glow mud mask
  • PETER THOMAS ROTH cucumber mask. (S.O.S. soothing mask)

to be fair...i think this is a LOT to be considered truly HG. but you guys know i have a lot of steps in my daily routine, and these are tried-and-true loves of mine !

edited 6/29/17

Re: SKINCARE HGs !

Spoiler
test

This is going to be super weird, but my #1 is Aquaphor as...

This is going to be super weird, but my #1 is Aquaphor as a lip balm. I've never used anything else that has so entirely and continuously worked to keep my lips moisturized. I buy the teeny travel packs of Aquaphor in bulk to throw everywhere I can. If there's one thing I hate, it's dry lips.

Every other brand and product type has either caused me to breakout more or make existing breakouts worse. I have an oil slick of a face. Cleansers and wipes dry me out and my face compensates with extra oil in no time. Not with these Purifying Oil-Free Cleansing Towelettes by Garnier! I wish they came in packs in excess of 25 wipes, but no... I'll never use anything else. This product has restored my faith in cleansing wipes.20171005_215342.jpg25 wipes, $5.00, local drugstore or Wal-Mart

Yay, charcoal! You'd never know it with the way these feel, though. So soothing. I use the matching facial scrub in the shower.

RE: SKINCARE HGs !

I'm still working on finding things in every category. This is what I love so far. I'm very picky. I have dry and sensitive skin. Cleansers - Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser Moisturisers - Kate Somerville Dry Skin Saver - Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Replenishing Moisturizer Treatments - Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil

Cleansers- 

-Ren rosa centafolia cleansing balm

-Pixi glow mud,cleanser

Acids/toners

- Paula's choice bha liquid

-Pixi glow tonic

-FAB facial radiance pads

- Dr Dennis gross alpha beta peel

Serums/Oils

-Paula's choice brightening  essence 

-fresh seaberry oil

- Paula's choice skin recovery calming toner

-belif hydrating essense

Eye- 

kate Somerville retinol eye cream

caudalie reservtal eye balm

Moisturizers

- belif Aqua bomb

- fresh rose deep hydration cream

Masks

- PTRcucmber gel mask for summer sun

-various sheet masks

@jemly Paula's Choice BHA 9.  I know of nothing else like it out there!  

Let's see if I can do this...

Cleansers:

• One and only so far - NUDE Omega Jelly ( Mahalo Unveil has a huge potential to be the next best thing when I'm done with my NUDE backups! )

Toners:

• Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator
  • Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner ( a life saver during winter )

Oils and serums:

• Odacite Cell Energy, Youthful Glow, Winter in Paris, C For Colette and Clogged Pores serums
  • NUDE Milk Serum
  • Consonant HydrExtreme Hydration Booster
  • Vintner's Daughter
  • NUDE Progenius Omega Treatment Oil
  • SR Juno
  • Mahalo Rare Indigo Balm

Moisturizers:

• Odacite Oleosomes Time Release Delivery Crème
  • NUDE Advanced Renewal Moisturizer

Masks:

• Mahalo The Bean Antioxidant Mask
  • Mahalo The Petal Mask Hydrating Treatment

after years and years, my HG moisturizer has been replaced. i used the aveda bio kinetics hydrating lotion for yearrrrrrs. i still love it. but i can't imagine not using my PTR rose stem cell bio repair cream. i suppose at 31 it was time to step it up a notch. my skin is very very happy with it. (so is my makeup application !)

i've been using the CLINIQUE moisture surge hydrating supercharged concentrate loads and loads lately, and i may like it even a bit more than the VICHY. it's just about the same price too, which is nice. time will tell.

Hmm, went back to find my last response to see what (if anything) has changed.

These 4 are still HG's:

- Farmacy Eye Dew (pry it from my cold, dead hands)

- Farmacy Purple Broccoli Brightening sheet masks

- Odacite Summer in Hossegor serum

- Tata Harper Purifying mask

I would also add in the Pixi Glow Mud Cleanser because it's a serious favorite in a product category that I don't typically have favorites for. Smiley Happy

@Mochapj any changes the past few months that through your HGs on their heads ?

@jemly everything listed above is still HG status!

I think I'd probably have to add

- Josh Rosebrook Vital Balm Cream 

- Mahalo the Bean Mask

to the list but none of the others have fallen off Smiley Happy

and like @lyravega it's possible that the next time I fill out this list I'll be including Unveil, too.  I love it, I'm just not ready to declare in an HG just yet Smiley Wink

alright ! some adjustments !

i added the OMOROVICZA thermal cleansing balm, with the stipulation that it's a luxury product. i can't always indulge. if i could this would be on heavy rotation. it's hydrating yet detoxifying. i love the herbal earthy smell too.

i re-added the VICHY aqualia thermal serum. i had taken it off and replaced it with the MURAD hydro dynamic hydrating essence. in this case, i've stipulated, again, as one as 'lux' and the other as economical. i think they're both brilliant and very effective for my skin.

i don't know if i'll ever add an eyecream. i've found ones i really like (origins ginzing and kiehls midnight recovery, both creamy and hydrating), but they don't blow my mind enough to make me think i'd repurchase over and over. perhaps that'll change.

i crossed out the REN vita mineral omega oil. i really like it but find that i don't love it as much as my beloved CLARINS oils. it claims to be fast absorbing (it is indeed thinner than my clarins oils) but it tends to sit on my skin. it's amazing for post-plane skin, or to get you over some skin distress, much like, say, the TATA HARPER nutrient complex, but worn regularly i think it is a bit much for my skin. i think i prefer the TH though, slightly.

ok so i've added the MURAD hydro dynamic quenching essence as an HG. forget the word 'essence', this is a serum. it has BLOWN MY MIND and has really help transform my skin and really get it over a dehydration "bump" i was really struggling with. it contains a little bit of glycolic acid (but not so much that i'm overdoing it by using it in conjunction with my acid toners) so that the hydrating elements really soak in, and with this my oils and moisturizers are working more effectively. 

this+the clarins blue orchid oil (which is also formulated for dehydration) is a BRILLIANT combo. then i put just small amount of moisturizer on top. brilliant.

skin is clearer, bouncy even, and makeup has been sitting on my skin better.

Moisturizer: 

• Nature Republic Aqua - Combination Cream (...A bit perfume-y, but super moisturizing.)
  • Caudalie Vinosource Sorbet  (Love this, but too light for winter months. I use this with the aqua cream.) 

Serums/ Oil: 

• Sunday Riley - Good Genes (Love what it does, but I can't manage the price point right now Smiley Sad.. so no backups)

Masks: 

• Peter Thomas Roth - Pumpkin Enzyme Mask (love the smell, love what it does.) 
  • Lush - Cosmetic Warrior (hard decline on the smell.. love how it clears up my skin) 
  • Lush - The Sacred Truth (Current daily mask. Got it for free with 5 empty tubs! Love this in conjunction with Cosmetic Warrior) 

Mist: 

• Caudalie - Beauty Elixer (Doesn't dry out my skin or make it tacky. Amazing smell. Nearly done with my current bottle)

Moisturizers- 

-Drunk Elephant B Hydra gel

-Dr Dennis Gross Hydra-pure oil free 

-Dr Jart Waterdrop moisturizer

Serums/oils

-Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Night Serum

- Dr Dennis Gross Ferulic Acid + Brightening solution

-Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula oil

Masks

-GLAMGLOW. Love these masks. I switch it up but my favorite is the original Youthmud

Peels

-Extra Strength Alpha Beta Peel Dr. Dennis Gross

Good thread bump in time for winter weather.

I recently broke up with my curology prescription. However my percentages and ingredients changed it was too harsh for my skin. I went through so much trial and error with products I love and I know work for me just to keep my script in rotation. As soon as I ditched it my skin found its zen. I was sporting a red chin area with irritation for ever and I knew that was the culprit. @kso1225 I read you posted that too and I wasn't sure if you were still using curology. 

Dr Dennis Gross clinical concentrate radiance booster. I'm on my second bottle and it's fantastic stuff.

vintners daughter facial oil. The smell is oddly intoxicating and I absolutely love it for the weather change.

LM Rose oil. Luxurious scent and not heavy. Goes great in my morning routine.

ren evercalm cream cleanser. It's been the cats pajamas for my dryer skin. 

Mists! I haven't found a HG but I love them in my routine.  Thanks to jemly I'll pick up the milky mist this weekend. Sounds like a wonderful hydration treat. 

Thanks for mentioning that @dalidyli. I still have curology but I haven't used it in a few months. I took a break from it when I knew I'd be in the sun a lot and just haven't gotten back into the routine, but I think I might be overexfoliating with other products that could be causing my skin problems. It's tough...I have no idea if I'm not cleansing and exfoliating enough or if I'm doing too much.  

I have been using the DDG hydration booster. I want to give the radiance booster a try once my skin clears up.  I think I need to switch to a more gentle cleanser too and after seeing the ren mentioned a few times, maybe I'll give that one a try. 

ohhhhhh i feel like it's time for an update ! 

the thing about skincare HGs is that...skin changes. some products prove to be a quick fix but only time will tell you if they're enduring. 

things i've added:

• DR. DENNIS GROSS ultra gentle alpha beta peel pads. firstly, these are expensive so i only use sparingly, but i've found they've become my favorite treatment. don't let the "ultra gentle" fool you--i find these just as effective not matter your skin type (the main acid is lactic acid !) and not as harsh as the regular and extra strength. 
  • PIXI milky mist (for a hydrating and setting mist). what can i say, favorite mist formula. bliss, ultra effective, not harsh.

things i've removed from the list and why:

• CAUDALIE beauty elixir. i still lovvvvve this stuff, but the milky mist trumps it.
  • DRUNK ELEPHANT b-hydra complex serum. i found this to be a great fix for dehydrated skin when i first tried it, and it worked well for a while; but overtime i found it wasn't doing 'enough' to stay on top of my chronically dehydrated skin, and even was--i suspect--clogging some pores on my chin. i still use it as extra treatment during at-home facials, but it's just not doing enough for me anymore to qualify as HOLY GRAIL....
  • MURAD rapid age spot and pigment lightening serum. i haven't used this in 2 years, as i haven't needed it. i found it very effective for me and my ultra pale skin, but am afraid to ever recommend it to people with darker skins as i'm afraid it'll over-correct and make spots too light.
  • OLE HENRIKSEN lemon strip flash peel. i still think this is a lovely hardcore peel, but i don't reach for it anymore in fear of 'overdoing it' in conjunction with my daily acid routine. i'd still recommend it to people, but i can't justify it as a fave anymore Smiley Happy

- Benton Aloe toner

- mizon snail repair cream

- glam glow clearing mask

Bar none, my HG cleanser is Shiseido IBUKI Gentle Cleanser.

Moisturizer:  I've been using Origins Plantscription for years but I'm trying out a couple others.

Treatments:  Just started using Tretinoin (Retinol) but I'm sure this will be something I'll consider HG. Currently trying out a couple Sunday Riley products.

Masks:  GlamGlow Gravity Mud (the silver firming mask) or Leaders, What Happened Last Night sheet mask.

189 Replies