cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

SERUM HELP!

HI!

I am in need of a good serum that works for me and my skin. I have tried so many and nothing has made a difference. I have combo skin, thats sensitive, and I have congestion on my chin too. In addition, I have black heads on my cheeks and it honestly just feels like a lot to work with LOL! 

Here is what I have tried that I did not see a difference with:

The Ordinary - The Buffet Serum

Sephora Collection - Vitamin C/E Serum

Sephora Collection - Glycolic Acid Wipes 

Peach & Lily - Glass Serum

More recently I have tried the Holy Grail product that is the Este Lauder Night Serum and I am not sure about it yet.

I have a great moisturizer and sunscreen, just need to incorporate a good serum that is under $50 😕 (fresh college grad)

Thank you!

Re: SERUM HELP!

If you have congestion and blackheads, look for a serum or toner with Salicylic acid(BHA, beta hydroxy acid). It should go deep in your pores and help with oil control and breakouts.

like someone said the Paula’s choice is amazing, it really helped my acne. Or if you want a cheaper option The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Acne + Blackhead Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL should be a great cleanser to use to work on those issues at a more gradual process. 

Anonymous Insider

If you’re looking to decongest your skin and eliminate blackheads, I think a chemical exfoliator might help more than a serum. The Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Night Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and Krave Beauty kale-lalu-yAHA have both worked for my whiteheads and pimples. Lactic acid is generally recommended for those with sensitive skin or first-time chemical exfoliation. I believe The Ordinary offers 2 strengths of lactic acid: The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL as well as a 5% concentration.

@Anonymous You can get a chemical exfoliator as a serum so the DE Framboos and the Ordinary Lactic Acid are both considered serums if you're browsing Sephora by category. 

@NBass love that you already have a sunscreen incorporated.

For the blackheads you may want to look at a BHA (salicylic acid) as opposed to an AHA - they'll help break up the oil in the pore.  Couple different options that I've read rave reviews on and you should only need to use this a couple times a week. 

•  Caudalie Vinopure Natural Salicylic Acid Pore Minimizing Serum 
  • Paula's Choice 2% BHA <-- this is more liquidy like a toner vs a serum
  • Face Theory BHA Exfolianting Serum  

The other products you were using were more focused on skin brightening, anti aging and pore reduction and they might be more effective with a better chemical exfoliant (like the BHA's listed above) 

hope that helps a little bit 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing