Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Routine for Acne Prone Oily Skin

Hello, I need some help in creating a step by step skin care routine that I can follow to help reduce breakouts and help the scaring left behind from them. I'm 19 and I have oily skin. I mostly have acne on my cheeks and chin, resulting in scarring and redness. I also have some texture issues from the scaring, and bigger pores around my nose, and blackheads on my nose. At the moment I am kind of stuck in looking for a new routine because I got off of an intense benzoyl peroxide treatment prescribed by my doctor that dried out my skin, but took a significant amount of scaring away. But now without it, I'm breaking out all over again and gaining all of those scars back. I love to wear make-up and use every precaution to try and prevent breakouts because of it. If anyone could help me in responding with a skin care routine that includes whatever I'd need, from the makeup remover, moisturizer, cleanser, toner, facial-oils, face masks, etc. in the order of use and frequency of each product it would be greatly appreciated! Also, if possible try to make it inexpensive? I am 100% willing to invest in my skins betterment, so it is okay for it to be on the expensive side, but I am a broke college student at the same time. If any other information is needed I am glad to give it. Thank you 🙂

Re: Routine for Acne Prone Oily Skin

Hi! I'm an esthetician and here is my advice: 

As someone who also has acne-prone skin, I noticed my skin got significantly better after I stopped using products containing silicone. Silicone creates a barrier which traps everything underneath such as bacteria which can cause breakouts. Most makeup products will contain dimethicone and I've tried my hardest to avoid that in products that are being spread all over my face like moisturizer, primer, foundation, etc. 

With that being said, Drunk Elephant is my favorite brand because their products are silicone free and many of them contain active ingredients to improve skin. It's spendy but has been totally worth it to make that investment. My favorite product to help with scarring is the Sukari Babyfacial. Note that this is a very strong chemical exfoliant and would not be ideal to use on broken skin and active breakouts; only on scars and healed skin with texture. I also love the Lala Retro Whipped Cream for moisturizer as it doesn't contain coconut oil (something that makes me break out) like the other moisturizers they carry. For something inexpensive, The Ordinary carries a lot of affordable products with active ingredients. I would check out the Salicylic Acid 2% to use on existing breakouts. 

I hope your skin improves!

Re: Routine for Acne Prone Oily Skin

Hey, girl! I had the exact same skin problems when I was your age and I know it sucks. It's great that you're making an effort to keep your skin healthy, though! This is the routine that I used when I had oily, acne-prone skin. Hope it helps!

Makeup Remover: Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water All-in-1 Waterproof Makeup Remover & Cleanser ($7) Be sure to get the waterproof makeup remover version of this product. When you have acne, you can't risk leaving any makeup on your skin, so waterproof makeup removers are the way to go.

Cleanser: Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash ($7) This is a simple yet effective wash. It will clean your skin, but also contains salicylic acid which prevents breakouts.

Moisturizer: Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar ($39) Unfortunately, I never found a drugstore moisturizer which jived with my skin, but this high-end one is definitely worth the money. It won't clog your pores, plus it has anti-aging benefits that will help fade scarring over time.

Sunscreen: Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist Broad Spectrum SPF 50 ($28) This stuff is great for oily, acne-prone skin. I even wore it when I wasn't going outside or had any makeup on because it has a wonderful mattifying effect. Plus, it's super easy to apply and doesn't even feel like you have sunscreen on.

And, that's it. I know it's minimal, but I tried so many types of treatments for my face and found that this routine worked the best. I would also spot treat pimples with drugstore products with salicylic acid, but aside from that, my recommendation is to just be as gentle as possible.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing