Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Routine advice needed! Need help with order of products

Hi y’all. I’m pretty new to having a skincare routine, but have jumped into it headfirst to up my self-care regimens during these crazy times. To be honest, I bought a few things without really knowing what I was getting into, other than that they were well-reviewed and seemed to fit my needs (a few items are deluxe samples or were gifts, too).

This is my routine so far:
- Glow Recipe Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser 5.41 oz/ 160 mL
- Herbivore Blue Tansy BHA and Enzyme Pore Refining Mask 2 oz/ 60 mL (three times a week)
- Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL 
- Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum
- LANEIGE Water Bank Hydro Essence 
- Herbivore Phoenix Rosehip Anti-Aging Face Oil - For Dry Skin 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

I’m 31 and have drier combination skin, large pores, and some small wrinkles near my eyes and forehead.

Am I using these in the right order? The results so far have been positive, but I also basically started from scratch so anything would be an improvement. Some of these products confuse me so I appreciate any help!

Re: Routine advice needed! Need help with order of products

Hello there. Just a few things to help you out.

• Make sure your cleanser is not stripping your skin. ( that tight and squeaky clean feeling.) If your cleanser is not doing that, then great!!! If so I would reccomend Korres Greek Yogurt cleanser.
  • Also make sure if you wear makeup that you are double cleansing at night, once to remove your makeup, and the second cleanse cleanses your skin. The sephora collection makeup removing balm or the Tatcha Camellia cleaning oil are both amazing. Then follow with your cleanser.
  • Use the Glow Recipe PHA & BHA toner in the AM only. This product combined with using the Blue Tansy Mask and the Retionl together could be causing dryness in the skin and it can potentially cause irritation. 

Morning Routine

1. Cleanser 
  2. Glow Recipe Toner
  3. Laniege Essence 
  4. Herbivore Rosehip Oil
  5. Sunscreen (supergoop is a wonderful brand for SPF)

Night Routine

1. remove makeup with balm or oil, skip this step if you are not wearing makeup
  2. Cleanser
  3. Herbivore Blue Tansy and Enzyme mask. Only do this 2x a week. Example: Monday and Thursday nights. Do not put a retinol on after an enzyme mask, it can cause some dryness and possible irritation to the skin.
  4. Laniege Essence 
  5. Herbivore Retinol, only use on the nights that you are not doing step 3
  6. Herbivore Rosehip Oil

Please try this out and let me know how you skin does with this. 😉

Re: Routine advice needed! Need help with order of products

Thank you, @AmyLu86!!!! 

I’ll be starting this tonight and will report back soon! Thanks again!

Hi @AmyLu86! I recently had the same question! Perhaps yo...

Hi @AmyLu86! I recently had the same question! Perhaps you can help me out?? Here's my routine, I want to make sure its in the right order: AM: • Cleanser - Youth to the People Super Food (love it!) • The Inkey List Glycolic Acid Toner • Lancome Gentrifique Serum •The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid + B5 & The Ordinary Buffet • The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% •The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA or The Inkey List Moisturizer (oh & my primer is SPF 30, So is my foundation) PM: • Patrick Star Makeup Remover (absolute magic if you haven't tried it!) • Youth to the People Cleanser • The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid & Buffet • The Ordinary Argireline Solution • I alternate between The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid Serum & Drunk Elephant Retinol + The Inkey List Retinol Eye Cream • The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors Hoping they are in the right order! I am thinking of adding a mix of The Ordinary's Reservation + Ferulic Acid & Pycnogenol for antioxidant support after my water based serums & before any heavier serums or moisturizer .... thoughts when you get a chance?? THANKS SO MUCH!! ♡

Re: Hi @AmyLu86! I recently had the same question! Perhaps yo...

Hey @BaseballJen BaseballJen!!!!

Thank you for reaching out!!! 

I also love the Patrick Star makeup remover!!! 

You have a great routine in place. You can tweak just a few minor things.

• If you are looking for anti-pollution protection, I would recommend using the Sephora Collection ph Balancing Toner. It has Chlorella which is great for that.
  • Also add a vitamin C serum. The Sephora Collection Vitamin C&E serum is great for that!!! It comes in a dropper. About 3 to 4 drops, pat into the skin. Not oily at all.
  • I LOVE that you are using a hyaluronic acid serum. That should be your first step after toning before any other serums. The reason is, HA retains its weight in hydration in the skin 1000x. So, your other skin care products will absorb better into the skin!!! This has made a HUGE difference in my skin. 

AM Routine

1. YTTP cleanser
  2. Sephora Collection Chlorella PH balancing toner.
  3. The Ordinary HA &B5
  4. Sephora collection Vit C & E serum
  5. The Ordinary argireline
  6. Moisturizer 
  7. Spf

PM routine

1. Patrick Star makeup remover
  2. YTTP cleanser
  3. Use the exfoliating gylcolic toner in this step only if you are not using the retinol, skip to step 4 when using retinol
  4. The Ordinary HA & B5 serum
  5. Use the genifique this step only when you are not using the retinol, skip to step 6 if using retinol 
  6. Retinol
  7. Moisturizer 
  8. Eye cream

I hope this helps you out!!! I have 9 years experience working in the cosmetic and skincare field. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing