Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Retinol and Lactic/Gycolic acids for beginners

I am just really getting into skin care now. I am almost 32 years old, my main concern is aging and a little dryness. 

my skin doesn’t react easily to things, it’s fairly easy going and cooperative. 

I was curious about retinol and lactic acid products that have worked well for you. And I know with retinol you have to ease into it I have read. What other products do you use with it and how often do you use it? 

and do you think either of these are needed for a skincare routine? 

thank you!

Re: Retinol and Lactic/Gycolic acids for beginners

@JennyE89 I don't think either are necessary but if there are concerns you want to address they can definitely do the trick! I say this as a person who also uses both Lactic Acid and Retinol lol. The only steps you really need are cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. 

When i started using retinol i used it once a week and then slowly increased it to 2x and then 3x a week. i use Lactic Acid 2x a week and then a BHA 1x a week.  You'll find chemical exfoliants often say they can be used daily but your skin likely doesn't need daily exfoliation so I alternate between those three actives and then give my skin an off day as well.

I use a centella/niacinamide serum with those actives since it can reduce redness, hydrate and calm the skin so it adds like an extra cushion of protection from irritation. Biggest reminder is to use a sunscreen in the AM no mattter what. My routine ends up looking something like this

Cleanser --> hydrating OR exfoliating toner --> Niacinamide Serum --> Retinol Serum (on nights I don't use the exfoliating toner) --> Moisturizer

Hope that helps and happy to answer any other questions. 

Which retinol and acid products do you use if you don’t mind me asking?

this was very helpful! Thank you! Do you use any vitamin c as well?

@JennyE89 I'm a wimp and use really low % products out of fear for my skin barrier lol

Retinol:  The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL <-- 0.2% is the lowest form of retinol that isn't a derivative I've seen and the highest you can go is 1% in Canada  

AHA: REN Clean Skincare Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic 16.9 oz/ 500 mL <-- this is 5.5% and in Canada you can go up to like 13% 

I also use the Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Retinol Sleeping Face Mask 2.3 oz/ 70 mL which has encapsulated retinol so I alternate between the serum and this mask. 

I use vitamin C every day in the AM and then the retinol/AHA at night. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing