Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Retinol alternatives?

Iโ€™m approaching 30 and want to get on the retinol anti-aging train, but my skin seems to react poorly to retinol - I used the Drunk Elephant product once a week for two weeks sandwiched between moisturize,  and it still triggered eczema on my face. What are other good anti-aging alternatives to retinol?

Re: Retinol alternatives?

I've tried both of these and really liked them. They're a little weak for me personally. But it sounds like they could work for you. 

OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum  OLEHENRIKSEN Goodnight Glow Bakuchiol Sleeping Crรจme 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

if retinol isnโ€™t working, try Biossance Squalane + Phyto-Retinol Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL ! itโ€™s safer and less irritating, and i think susan yara used it when she was pregnant! ๐Ÿฅฐ

One of the most famous plastic surgeons in the US recommends to use a combo of serums or moisturizers that contain peptides and growth factors. During quarantine I am unable to get my usual baby botox so I tried it on my small forehead lines that were reappearing. I'm telling you the results were visible overnight, and now they're gone. I'm using the Peter Thomas Roth Peptide 21โ„ข Wrinkle Resist Kit along with the Perricone MD High Potency Growth Factor Firming & Lifting Serum however the perricone Serum has retinol, so you could swap it out for Drunk Elephant Mini Protiniโ„ข Polypeptide Moisturizer 0.50 oz / 15 mL which I think contains both peptides and GF's, but the type of growth factors in the perricone Serum are better than the drunk elephant. 

My skin also did not like adjusting to retinol initially so I hear you. I've liked the Josie Maran Argan Beta Retinol Pink Algae Serum! No irritation with this one for me, it seems gentle and is oil-based so its good on dry skin. 

@KerBerr the DE us actually one of the strongest retinols on the market you might want to just try something lower (it can get as low as 0.2%), something encapsulated (like the Glow Recipe Avocado Melt Retinol Sleeping Face Mask 2.3 oz/ 70 mL ) or a retinol derivative like retinyl palmitate (that's in Shani Darden Skin Care Texture Reformโ„ข) or granactive retinoid ( The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion 1 oz/ 30 mL )

@KerBerr  I havenโ€™t tried the new formulation but I have had really good results from the Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum . 

@KerBerr The DE retinol is a tricky one because it contains 1% retinol, which isn't good for beginners.  I'm a seasoned retinol user, and it was too harsh for me.  I rec starting with First Aid Beauty FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate which has 1/4 of the retinol of the DE.  Other retinols are even lower than that.

I've read that Bakuchiol is a good retinol alternative, but I don't know much about it.  You could look into The Inkey List, and I think Paula's Choice makes one, too.

Good luck!  ๐Ÿ™‚

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing