cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Replacement for the Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you guys would know a good replacement for the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum from the brand 'The Ordinary'? I have really acne prone skin and this has worked wonders for me but I heard rumours the brand was shutting down. I've stocked up for now but I'm on the lookout for a replacement, any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Re: Replacement for the Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

Paula’s choice! 

Spoiler
@Aisha123  I haven't tried these, but I listed a few in the spoiler tag. 
Spoiler

Thanks!

@Aisha123 According to beautypedia, the jury is out on zinc's effectiveness.  See spoiler below.  Paula's Choice makes a 10% Niacinamide that you might want to try.

Spoiler

A 10% concentration of niacinamide can do great things for skin, particularly in regard to enlarged pores and uneven skin tone. The Ordinary's Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is the least expensive option for getting the benefits of this ingredient, but the fact remains that your skin deserves more than just one key ingredient, no matter how brilliant.

What about the zinc? It's present in this formula as zinc PCA, an inexpensive ingredient that has some research on its anti-inflammatory action, which can be helpful for reducing signs of acne.

Zinc PCA with niacinamide can be a good combination for oily, acne-prone skin, but there are other ingredients that could've been added to make this product even better. As is, we don't deny the benefits of niacinamide, but we repeat: Skincare is never as simple as any one ingredient, no matter how great it is.

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is packaged in a frosted-glass bottle with a dropper applicator. The silky, fragrance-free gel texture is easy to apply, but sets to a somewhat tacky finish most won't find cosmetically elegant.

Although not as well-rounded as other niacinamide-rich products, for the money it might be worth a try if your existing routine is rich in beneficial ingredients and you're curious to see how a high concentration of niacinamide will work for you.

One more comment on the zinc PCA: The Ordinary claims this ingredient can balance sebum (oil) activity, but the research on that is limited, and it didn't take into consideration the much greater impact that hormones have on how much oil our skin produces. No topical skincare ingredient can regulate hormones.

PROS:
  • Contains a high amount of niacinamide.
  • The combination of niacinamide and zinc PCA may help with acne and oily skin.
  • Silky, weightless gel texture.
  • Unusually inexpensive.
  • Fragrance free.
CONS:
  • Not as well-rounded as other niacinamide-rich products.
  • The somewhat tacky finish isn't cosmetically elegant.
  • Research on zinc's ability to reduce sebum production is limited.

Thanks!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing