cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Recommendations for Vitamin C Serum

Hello Everyone!

I hope you're all staying safe during this time! I was wondering if anyone had any favourite Vitamin C serums that they use in the mornings? I have tried the Ordinary (12% I believe..) and I am not obsessed so I want something new. I have sensitive combination type skin with concerns of redness/uneven skin tone and pores. I breakout here and there but would not say I am necessarily acne prone. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! xo 

Re: Recommendations for Vitamin C Serum

@dannauciello I like pure + simple's vitamin C serum and sometimes I just mix The Ordinary 100% L-Ascorbic Acid Powder 0.7 oz/ 20 g into my mask

@dannauciello Another vote for Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL It smells amazing and is also very moisturizing as well.

@dannauciello  My favorites are DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum and Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL

@dannauciello, my current favorite vitamin C products are Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL and Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, though I think the Sunday Riley has more of a cream consistency than a serum). Another one I like is the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop - it has a lower concentration of vitamin C than many other products; this one has 5% so it's gentle for sensitive skin. It also contains centella asiatica which has anti-inflammatory properties and can be helpful with breakouts. Because the concentration is much less than other vit C products, you won't see results as quickly, but they will come in time. Good luck with your search; let us know if you find a vitamin C product you love!

Anonymous Insider

I personally use a local Las Vegas brand called Beauty Kitchen. Everything they make is organic and natural. 

Great question!  So Vitamin wears a lot of different hats, so to speak, in the skin.  It's an essential factor in collagen production and maintenance, it is an antioxidant that, along with Vitamin E, protects our skin against UV light and the free radicals that produces, and in turn, helps to minimize inflammation and the hyperpigmentation that can result from that.

The question of whether or not topical Vitamin C helps ANY of that is still up for debate, actually.  Since there is limited regulation on the effectiveness and labeling of beauty products, they can pretty much say whatever they want, as long as the product does no harm and is safe.

This is where nutrition and lifestyle come into play.  Vitamin C, as you probably know, is in fresh fruits and vegetables, so make sure you are getting your full five a day.  It's water soluble, so your body doesn't store it.  Extra, mega doses aren't helpful or healthy. Smoking tobacco will reduce the amount available to you, because your body has to use it to detoxify the tobacco, instead.  

All that said, if you want to give Vitamin C a try, delivery methods like serums and moisturizers have similar levels of absorption.  A moisturizer might be more tolerable to you, since you have sensitive skin. There may be a modest improvement to inflammation and hyperpigmentation (but only if you are also using sunscreen and not smoking).  As far as "pores".  Here's the thing.  Pores can seem enlarged for two reasons: blackheads and...aging.  Bummer, I know.  As we age, and skin loses it's elasticity, it sags on a microscopic level, and it's often first visible in ever-larger pores.  You can't reverse it, but you can prevent future damage.  Vitamin C might help.  

Personally, I like the whole family of Vitamin C products from Sunday Riley, C.E.O.

RE: Recommendations for Vitamin C Serum

i have combo/oily skin but it is sensitive when i use harsh products. i recently started using the ole henriksen banana bright vitamin c serum and i noticed a difference with hyperpigmentation/acne scars within a week. i use it every other night. even tho it is pricy, for me, i’d rather invest in skincare so that my makeup looks better.

@dannauciello DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum

KORA Organics Noni Bright 12% Vitamin C Serum 1 oz / 30 mL

KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate 12.5% Vitamin C

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 21 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing