Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Rash / Dermatitis

for the past year a rash has been appearing under my lips and around my nose that becomes a bit scalley and cannot be covered by foundation . this rash has made it difficult to chose the right moisturizer. what are the best skincare items you have used for ultra sensitive skin?

RE: Rash / Dermatitis

Dr. Jart ceramidin cream

Re: Rash / Dermatitis

@Tinycupcake813 Have you seen a dermatologist? I have really sensitive skin (rosacea, allergies, eczema) and I’ve dealt with a lot of recurring rashes over the years. While having a gentle skincare regime helps, you need to know what is causing it so you know how to appropriately treat it and what to avoid.

As a starting point, I would suggest going very basic with your skincare (no actives, no fragrances, no essential oils, etc.). Then, you can go from there. CeraVe is the basic moisturizer I use (and I also use straight squalane oil)- it’s generally pretty non-irritating, but, again, it’s hard to know how it will work for you without a better idea of what you’re dealing with. An important thing to remember with sensitive skin is that it’s not just what you add, it’s what you leave out. When you’re dealing with sensitive skin or rashes, you really need to step back and put away all products and use only the most gentle (and check the ingredients on your makeup too). And finding the right dermatologist has been a game changer for me. You might benefit from a prescription to treat your rash and a derm can help diagnose what is happening.

thank you. I have seen a dermatologist and they said it i...

thank you. I have seen a dermatologist and they said it is perioral dermatitis. they told me to stay away from anything heavy and oily and eat very clean during an episode . as of recent I have been using Tatchas gentle cleanser and indigo cream . that seems to help . but if I can opt for a more gentle inexpensive option I'd love that . thanks again😃

Re: thank you. I have seen a dermatologist and they said it i...

@Tinycupcake813 I’m glad you saw a dermatologist and got a proper diagnosis. I know how frustrating dealing with reactive skin can be. Your doc probably told you this, but have you gone through your toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. for any potential irritants? I know that can be a culprit in PD.

The regular CeraVe cream works well for me (and you can get travel size tubes for a few dollars to try it out), but you also might benefit from the CeraVe PM. It’s a lotion texture (as opposed to a cream) and it contains niacinamide, which can be anti-inflammatory. Since PD can be related to allergic reactions, you do want to try to keep things as simple as possible until you figure out your triggers. That’s why I usually go for cheaper/simpler formulas when I’m testing. Once you figure out what works for you (and what doesn’t), you can splurge on some more expensive stuff. I know others will disagree, but I tend to not find much benefit in pricey cleansers or moisturizers. I put my money toward growth factors, retinoids, and in-office treatments when my skin is under control.

ETA: Avene and La Roche Posay also make some excellent gentle products too and they’re fairly affordable. I think they’re both carried at DermStore (and LRP at Ulta too) and DermStore usually has a good Black Friday/Cyber Monday discount code so keep an eye out!

RE: Rash / Dermatitis

I love the Boscia peeling gel as an exfoliate when I’m flaky and the Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench moisturizer. It has no scent

do you mind if I ask why you get flakey ?

do you mind if I ask why you get flakey ?
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing