Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Quick and (relatively) affordable skin care?

I'm a full-time student with two part-time jobs and a part-time internship. Because of this, I find that I'm gravitating more and more towards very minimal/quick makeup, with an emphasis on skincare. My morning routine usually allows for 10-15 minutes total for makeup/skincare. I have pretty normal to dry skin, but I find that I do find that I have a little bit of acne usually due to stress.

I'm looking for something quick and user-friendly to add to my routine to help with breakouts/acne scars and to generally make my skin a little glowier and clearer. I currently use the Belief Moisture Balm (my holy grail!) and a Tarte under eye cream. I also have a Clarisonic that I use with a Yes To brand moisturizer that I aim to use weekly but end up using once or twice a month. 

Does anybody have any recommendations for things to add to my current skincare routine that could address these issues? Preferably something that's relatively affordable/cheap, as I'm a student and would rather not drop half a paycheck on a Drunk Elephant or Glam Glow-priced product. Thanks!

Anonymous Insider

Quick and (relatively) affordable skin care?

I am late to post sorry. I would suggest either a serum like The Ordinary Buffet which addresses a variety of issues you mentioned or Serum with Vitamin C in it there are many varieties and most work well. That or an oil works wonders as well Marula oil is a wonder and again The ordinary has a pretty darn good marula oul for 10 bucks cannot beat it if you are looking for budget friendly.

RE: Quick and (relatively) affordable skin care?

Drunk Elephant stuff doesn’t work. #KateSomerville slightly pricy but if you want significantly better quality in chemicals them. I would use the Neutrogena benzyl peroxide wash once a week to help with the acne. And any other cleanser so that it can target the areas you wish more effectively.

Re: Quick and (relatively) affordable skin care?

AM: The Ordinary Niacinamide+Zinc serum
PM: The Ordinary Marula Oil, The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5%.
Niacinamide helps clear congested skin and shrink pores. Marula oil is an amazing multi-purpose hydrating oil. An acid will help with cell turnover and safe exfoliation. 
T.O. is a brand committed to producing, no-nonsense, low cost, highly effective products full of active ingredients. Hope this helps!

As what was said korean products are good! and you could look into the ordinary also the sephora brand is good too they have reasonable priced products! favorite kits are sometimes really good for their value and the products come in deluxe sizes/or travel 

Try Korean skincare products. They are very effective and affordable Sephora carries Lanegie I believe. There are other brands of course like Missha, Mizon Benton cosrx etc. I personally like peachandlilly site and missha. Lanegie is great as well except its more for dry skin and my skin is combination/oily. Good Luck!

Hi @DaisySG! I second Korean skincare products. I started using them recently and they have completely changed my skin for treatment better. Many of the brands are very affordable and will give you a dewy, glowing complexion. I personally love the Skinfood line. Many of their products are under $20 and the ones I have bought were around $10. I also love the Pyunkang Yul essence and face wash (around $17-20). And Cos rx, which is also very affordable, has great products for acne-prove skin. You can find all of the above on Amazon. Just make sure you purchase from a reputable seller (one with a high rating). You can also purchase Skinfood and Cos rx on the Ulta website or in many Ulta stores. The brands that the other poster mentioned are great as well.

@gburnsie If you are looking for a moisturizer to replace your HG, I suggest CeraVe PM or Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion from the Redness Relief line (the latter is thicker).  CeraVe.com has a $2 off coupon.

@gburnsie I rec checking beautypedia's lists of "best of" products and finding something in your budget.  There are excellent product at every price range!

For your breakouts, I rec spot treating with Persa-gel by Clean & Clear.  Target makes a knock-off that is probably as good.  BHA is also helpful in preventing breakouts.  A lot of people like The Ordinary's product, but I only rec Paula's Choice.  It is a little pricey, but sign up for the promos via e-mail and there are frequent sales.

P.S. Sephora is having their VIB sale starting this Friday for 10% off 🙂

This is so useful, thank you so much! I've never heard of beautypedia before but I'm checking it out now and it looks SO useful! And thank you for the heads up about the VIB sale- I was going to go tomorrow to do some shopping, but maybe I'll get samples of things tomorrow and do some test runs before buying next Friday! 

I completely understand not wanting to spend a fortune and I don’t know a specific product for scarring etc... in the line BUT ‘First Aid Beauty’ has some great products and way cheaper than most. I currently use the exfoliating cleanser and it definitely helps with my pores. Often times they will have a trial package with you get the smaller versions of 4 ir 5 Things, just a thought but I’ve liked everything by them! Good luck!

Thank you for this! I've been considering First Aid Beauty but hadn't heard too much about them, I'll have to try one of the trial packs- I love those!

Hey! I'm a student too, so I completely get the budget thing. First Aid Beauty is really really good though! I use their cleanser and their face cream and I'm just about to try their eye cream -- I've also used their primer. All the products are awesome! They are formulated for sensitive skin so none of the products I've tried have caused breakouts of anything. highly recommend!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 16 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing