Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Question: Dr.Jart Ceramidin Skin Barrier Serum toner

I have a pretty damaged skin barrier and rosacea. I have started trying to repair it using skinfix oil cleanser, triple lipid hyaluronate serum, and their triple lipid-peptide cream. I also use Ordinary Azelaic acid most nights before the moisturizer. 

The problem is I really need a step before the Skinfix serum because my skin is so dry it evaporates as soon as it touches my face and I cannot spread it into the skin. I also just need something to prepare my face for the serum. I was using a clarifying toner that was working well for awhile, but now it’s simply too drying. A skincare advisor at Sephora recommend using the Skin Barrier Serum Toner by Dr.Jart. I originally thought and toner specifically for skin barrier treatment would be great and purchased it, but when I later researched it the product does contain denatured alcohol near the top of the ingredients list. 

is there a reason a product marketed for the skin barrier contains denatured alcohol? Won’t this just dry me out even more? Or do the other ingredients counteract the affect and it should be okay to use with my dry, damaged barrier, and rosacea skin? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated it! And if I’m correct in that this wouldn’t actually be a good toner for me, is there anything else y’all would recommend?

Thanks!

Re: Question: Dr.Jart Ceramidin Skin Barrier Serum toner

@Alyssandra101 In place of a toner, I use the Tower 28 Beauty SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray 4 oz/ 120 mL. It’s gently formulated for red, sensitive skin to help heal and protect it. The main ingredient is Hypochlorous acid which disinfects and calms the skin, and is actually super beneficial is helping to treat rosacea and eczema. I just spray it on my face after cleansing and then apply my Tower 28 Beauty SOS Intensive Redness Relief Serum 2 oz / 59 mL followed by a facial oil, moisturizer and SPF 🙂 It’s one of my favourite products because it’s such a work horse and targets many different skin ailments.

I'm not a chemist or anything like that but from what I understand denatured alcohol can be included in many skincare ingredients because it helps the viscosity of the product in order to spread on the skin and be absorbed more easily.

Thank you so much @bakeamuffin ! This was super helpful. I had considered that spray as well but I was hesitant to try it before but I might do so now. 

Could I ask you one more question? Do you use a setting spray for your makeup? I'm currently using Urban Decay All Nighter but its full of fragrances so I'm not sure if I should continue using it. I have been alright so far because I'm usually extremely sensitive to fragrances but I'm pretty sure my moisturizer helps shield my skin from getting it in this case. But do you happen to know of a facial spray that works that doesn't have all the icky ingredients? 

Thank you ❤️ 

This one is tricky @Alyssandra101 ! I actually really like the Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mL but I can’t use it every day or it can cause adverse reactions. I find that using products with fragrance repeatedly causes my skin to break out and becomes really sensitive. 

The Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Always An Optimist 4-in-1 Prime & Set Mist 2.87 oz/ 85 mL is good but it contains essential oils which can be just as irritating to sensitive skin as fragrance. The MILK MAKEUP Hydro Grip Dewy Long-Lasting Setting Spray With Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide 3.38 oz / ... is nice and works well but it contains some essential oils and other ingredients like Phenoxyethanol and Propylene Glycol which can cause irritation to the skin (which is more likely when we have sensitive skin prone to breakouts). I’m not a chemist, this is just from my own personal experience. 
I think I’m going to stick with the Rare 4 in 1 setting spray and just use it when I really need long lasting makeup. 

I haven’t tried the Honest Beauty Save Face Shielding spray but it looks like a good one for sensitive skin if you get the opportunity to try it! 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing