cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
Anonymous Insider

Psoriasis: Body, Scalp, Face

Hello,

I have been dealing with (mainly) scalp psoriasis since I was in middle school, but has since then escalated into plaques almost everywhere over the years. Currently, I have it in my scalp and eyebrows, in and around ears, mild face flaking, and a lot of specs and patches (all seem to be growing) all over my torso and going down my arms, butt, and thighs. None in the nether region, thankfully! It's right about moderate at this point. I've been to several dermatologists over the years, tried about every form of treatment from them, tried a lot of lower budget products, and so now I am just taking things into my own hands.

Mainly, I am looking for products that are helpful with BODY care, but I will take any and all suggestions for other types of products as well.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Psoriasis: Body, Scalp, Face

Oy, this turned into an essay.  Here's the Sephora product recs:

CAUDALIE - Hand and Nail Cream

L'OCCITANE - Shea Butter Ultra Rich Body Cream

SHISEIDO - Ultimate Sun Protector Lotion SPF 50+ Sunscreen

L'OCCITANE - Shea Nail And Cuticle Oil

Non-Sephora product recs:

Ivory or Dove body wash/soap

Foaming, rather than liquid, hand soap, currently using Method

Neutrogena sunscreen

Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, I use L'Oreal's EverCurl or EverCreme line.

A laundry detergent that doesn't irritate your skin, Method is my current favorite.

Gloves for dishes, or a less irritating dishsoap if you sometimes do dishes gloveless. I like Method for this as well, and I really like that they sell refills for the dishsoap, so it's a bit more environmentally friendly.

My psoriasis has mostly focused on my hands and wrists, but I've had a few occurrences on my scalp as well.  The things that seem to help the most are avoiding things that irritate my skin, causing contact dermatitis and a following psoriasis flare. This is different for everyone, but I'll throw out some of my go tos and the things that don't work for me. My skin reacts really badly to soap residue, so I make sure to use only as much laundry detergent as needed. For brands, both Arm&Hammer and Method don't irritate my skin. For hand soap, Method's foaming soap smells amazing and doesn't cause my hands to flare. The same cannot be said of the mystery blue ooze in the airport washroom. My worst reactions generally come from things that were treated in some way to have no scent.  Not sure why, but the "hypoallergenic & unscented" label is guaranteed to turn me into an itchy, painful mess. Avoiding added scents can be good for avoiding possible irritants, but "unscented" seems to be a different thing entirely. (I have no science to back that up, just speaking from personal experience.) For shampoo and conditioner, I've had good luck switching to sulfate-free. Currently using Loreal's EverCurl line. Keeping conditioner far away from my scalp has also helped a lot, as has making sure to wash conditioner residue off my body after rinsing it off of my hair. Things that are kind of rough, like pilly old sweatshirts, also cause flare-ups for me, mainly on my wrists where the cuffs rub, so my clothes need to pass the soft test. Personally, I wouldn't use fabric softener to accomplish this, since it leaves a residue on your clothes and is potentially irritating.  You've probably heard about the Koebner phenomenon from your doctors, where other injuries or trauma can trigger a psoriasis flareup.  Sunburns usually turn into new psoriasis patches for me, so I use a bunch of sunscreen. Neutragena's spray sunscreen is my favorite body one, and Shiseido applies well for me under makeup. Ivory and Dove are my go tos for body wash and soap. For moisturizers, my favorite body moisturizer is L'Occitane Ultra Rich Cream and I really like their Shea Nourishing Nail & Cuticle Oil.  Caudalie's hand and nail cream is a favorite.

RE: Psoriasis: Body, Scalp, Face

I don't know if this is allowed - but please PLEASE check out Frank Body. I don't think it's on Sephora - but I've seen so many testimonials of people in your position have luck with their products. I've used them (I don't have psoriasis) but I fully vouch for them. They have a very gentle scalp scrub, face scrub, body scrubs - a whole line that is designed to help scrub and hydrate your skin. I really genuinely think this brand will help you ❤️❤️ check out their Instagram too - you can see before and afters
Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: Psoriasis: Body, Scalp, Face

Thank you! I'll definitely look into it! ❤

Anonymous Insider

Re: Psoriasis: Body, Scalp, Face

I'll definitely give those a shot! Thank you! ❤

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing