Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Products that have caught you by surprise?

Are there any products recently that anyone has tried, didnt expect to fall in love with, and did?  Or a product that you wanted to love so bad but it was awfully disappointing to you?

i bought the Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 g on a whim because I liked the packaging. Usually I’m not a big mask person and I thought I was going to regret my purchase. But OMG, is has been so wonderful. It creates a really relaxing warming sensation on my skin. It makes my face feel plump and hydrated. 

Re: Products that have caught you by surprise?

I had never tried any products from KORA Organics. But a couple months ago they had a sale so I decided to order some things. Most of the products ranged from *meh* to terrible. So I was really surprised to find that I absolutely love the Rose Mist. The ingredients are really good (no harsh alcohols). And it comes out as a true mist, not an uneven spray the way a lot do. I really like using it after setting powder and throughout the day if my skin is feeling a little parched. It doesn't mess up my makeup at all. And it's so refreshing! 

KORA Organics Balancing Rose Mist 3.38 oz/ 100 mL 

The ordinary came out with 2 foundations (both Ulta exclusives) and I decided to give the serum foundation a try. I didn’t have high expectations since it was $6.70 but that is also the reason I decided to give it a shot since I was only out $6.70 if I hated it lol. I was really surprised by how much I like it, it definitely surpassed my expectations! The coverage is pretty good and the finish is a nice natural finish. The downsides are the foundation is extremely runny, basically water consistency, so it has to be applied with a brush and the brush does eat some of the product and I needed to use a good primer and setting spray so keep it from wearing off. But overall I am really happy with it for the price point. It isn’t a foundation I would wear to glam up but it is nice for everyday coverage I can throw on to hide redness and some acne scars. 

The product that caught me by surprise was Rodial Glow Drops! (I got it in my boxy charm) and it makes my skin so fresh and dewy! I’m obsessed!

The other product that has caught me by surprise is Farmacy Honey Halo Ultra-Hydrating Ceramide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL ! My goodness ! This cream has changed my dry sensitive skin to feeling so hydrated and lush! 

I recently got a sample of the fresh Rose & Squalane Deep Hydration Oil-Infused Serum 100 mL and didn't think I would like it but tried it because I love the Fresh brand. I loved the serum sample so much I bought the full size!

Something I really, really wanted to love but ended up hating and returning was the Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL It was so pretty and purple and smelled heavenly but I had to return it after only a few days 😭 

I LOVE the idea of Tatcha and their packaging but so many people have had mixed reviews, I’m not sure if I could ever justify spending the money on it and not liking it!!

@legzzzy The product that caught me by surprise was Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent   I tried this brand because the Laura Mercier color I normally ordered was out of stock.  On a whim, I decided to try it.  I absolutely loved it.  It works beautifully when setting concealer under my eyes.  Nice surprise. 

That’s good to know!!!  I tried their primer recently as a sample, the texture is amazinggggg!

I was gifted the SEPHORA COLLECTION Daily Brush Cleaner 6.75 oz/ 199 mL awhile back and before I actually started using it I always thought that those types of cleaners were a little gimmicky.  I was soooo wrong.  I actually have another one in my cart right now for when I place my next order because after using it--and comparing it to a couple of other similar products--I can't imaging not having it anymore!

@CookieGirl1 I agree! Best brush cleaner ever! What a pleasant surprise😍

I received the SEPHORA COLLECTION Brightening Eye Cream – Hydrate & Depuff and the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Glossy Lip Oil JUICY . I've never had an eye cream that worked so I didn't have any hopes for this. After about 10 days I actually saw results I was blown away. I'm also not a big lip glossy type of thing fan. But I can't put down the Sephora Lip Oil. 

@legzzzy the LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask  I thought it was meh when I started using it and then I had a bad reaction to something (still unknown) threw this on as a whim hoping for some more hydration and this just had such an impact. 

I received the water sleeping mask as a skincare sample and loved it enough to get the normal-to-dry Laneige bundle. My skin has never felt so hydrated. Even my pores look smaller after using the serum. I will definitely purchase full size of everything when I run out 

@legzzzy 

Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask 4.1 oz/ 117 g is so great! I love it to bits! 
To answer your question, I think maybe 3 months ago I was gifted by Sephora SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Bouncy Eyeshadow Palette before it was released. There has not been a single day that I’ve worn make up that I have not used this palette. I’m actually on my second one now as I hit pan on 3 shades. Some community members who received it couldn’t get colour pay off but I’ve got this palette to work for me and I just adore it 🥰

I’ve been looking at this eyeshadow pallete and debating getting it!!!  It looks wonderfully soft. And for the price you can’t beat it

I recently hopped on The Ordinary skincare train. I have to say, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But with those prices, I had to give it a try. The squalene cleanser, marine hylauronics, and HA moisturizer are my top faves at the moment. I have oily, acne prone skin, so I was super skeptical to switch up my routine but I am so glad I did! A few honorable mentions would be the glycolic acid toner and the salicylic acid mask. Worth the price for sure! 

A product that did NOT work for me recently was the Tatcha water cream. Too much fragrance for my taste, and it broke me out. Granted, my skin is sensitive, but the product just wasn't for me.

The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics 1 oz/ 30 mL 

The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Exfoliating Toner 8 oz/ 240 mL 

The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

If you like inexpensive, i HIGHLY recommend The INKEY List Apple Cider Vinegar Acid Peel this stuff has helped me so much, especially with this new 'maskne' because I'm wearing a mask 65%+ of my work day, and really does work just as well as pricey exfoliators (I've tried blue tansy, drunk elephant tlc, peter Thomas roth, and a few others). 

@Ynatalia  thanks, I've been interested in that one!!  one of their more expensive items, haha... 😉

I think people give The Ordinary a lot of crap but the formulas are great especially when you want to throw something new in your routine and it’s so affordable!!!!  I have yet to try those specific products but I think I’ll try the Squalene cleanser soon as a first cleanse.  

@legzzzy Artist Couture Supreme Nudes Pressed Pigment Eyeshadow Palette 12 x 0.05oz/1.4g 

I’m iffy about influencer’s makeup lines but this palette is really good. The shadows are creamy and blend so well. 

I’m adding this to my favs this looks like a palette I could use everyday!!!  Who’s the influencer though?

Conversation Stats
testing