Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Product Order AM&PM

Hi!!! Can someone outline where when order of products for me?

Moisturizer

Retinol

squalane

vitamin c 

sunscreen

enzyme mask

sunday Riley ufo acne clearing oil

Sunday Riley lactic acid serum

there is so much out there, I get overwhelmed. 

My skin is combination, I’m 33- and I get lots of blackheads & chin breakouts around my periods. 

THANK YOU 🍂

Re: Product Order AM&PM

Spoiler
I clipped this from an online article as it matched up to what I’ve learned over the years, but also covers face oil (which is a newer addition for most people). I won’t add anything else since there is already another reply that answered in detail. ❤️

Source: Chloe Metzger. “Your Skincare Routine Order Explained: How TF to Apply Your Products.” www.cosmopolitan.comSource: Chloe Metzger. “Your Skincare Routine Order Explained: How TF to Apply Your Products.” www.cosmopolitan.com

Great question btw! Order of application is def crucial to getting the best results.

Re: Product Order AM&PM

Hi @IzzyCochran ! Are all of these products new to you? Or have you already been using some of them for at least a month? If any of these are new, donintroduce them to your skin all at once. Pick a new product and use it for a few weeks, then add another new product to your routine, etc. That way, your skins less likely to throw tantrums over new ingredients—and if it does, at least youll have an idea of which product mightve caused issues. 

Below is how I’d use those products on my own combo skin. Actually, I wouldn’t use Sunday Riley UFO at all because it contains some bad-for-my-face ingredients (fragrance oils); instead, I use various Paula’s Choice BHA (salicylic acid) products plus azelaic acid to tackle acne, in addition to my retinoid serum. But if UFO ends up working for you, that’s great! 

Note that I put the exfoliant category in both AM and PM: that’s because you can exfoliate at any time of day you want. But if you do it in the morning, don’t do it again that night, and vice versa. Exfoliate only once a day, and try to keep exfoliation to just 1-3 times a week. 

AM

Spoiler

Cleanser (optional): Some folks don’t need to wash their face in the morning with a cleanser. On my combo skin, I either use a gentle cream cleanser or very gently wipe my face with a plush wet microfiber cloth. 

Exfoliant (once a day, 1-3 times a week): Pick either Sunday Riley Good Genes or the enzyme mask. You can alternate these 2 products, of course. You can also try using Sunday Riley UFO after either product, but you might want to use it alone instead, depending on your skin’s sensitivity to some of UFO’s oils.

Since UFO is a BHA (salicylic acid) product, you could also try using it more than 3 times a week... for some folks, BHA is gentle enough for more frequent use, especially at just 0.5 - 2% strength. I think UFO is 1% or 1.5% BHA. Eh, depends on your skin's tolerance level. But definitely don't use Good Genes or an enzyme mask more than 3 times a week; that's a very good way to over-exfoliate your skin, which leads to nothing but badness. 

Treatment: Vitamin C 

Emollients/moisturizers: 

• Squalane - might not be necessary every day, depending on what your skin tells you it needs. 
  • Moisturizer 

Sunscreen: If yours contains good moisturizing ingredients (shea butter, petrolatum, dimethicone, etc.), you might get away with skipping moisturizer and just using the sunscreen as that step. 

PM

Spoiler

Cleanser(s): Definitely wanna wash away the day’s grime, cooties, makeup, and other ick before bedtime. I'll include makeup removal in this step, if you use a makeup remover (cleansing balm, oil cleanser, micellar water, etc.) and follow with a true cleanser. 

Exfoliant (once a day, 1-3 times a week): Pick either Sunday Riley Good Genes or the enzyme mask. You can alternate these 2 products, of course. You can also try using Sunday Riley UFO after either product, but you might want to use it alone instead, depending on your skin’s sensitivity to some of UFO’s oils. My previous note about UFO (under the AM list) also applies here. 

Treatment: Retinol - if youre new to vitamin A in general, start using this just 1-2 times a week for a few weeks, then gradually increase frequency until youre at a comfy-for-you routine, like nightly or every other night, or even every other 2 or 3 nights. 

Emollients/moisturizers: 

• Squalane - might not be necessary, depending on what your skin needs that night. 
  • Moisturizer 

If you find retinol’s too irritating for your skin, try swapping the order of those last 2 steps: apply retinol after your moisturizer. 

Which enzyme mask do you plan to use? Does it include clay? A clay mask can help a lot with blackheads. Every once in a while, I use a clay mask just on my oily zone to control excess oil and help keep those pores clear. My clay masks (usually The INKEY List Kaolin Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and Origins Mini Clear Improvement™ Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pore 1 oz/ 30 mL ) don't contain any enzymes, though. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos1
  • Source: Chloe Metzger. “Your Skincare Routine Order Explained: How TF to Apply Your Products.” www.cosmopolitan.com
testing