Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Ordinary products? Are these worth it?

I am totally new to skincare, I've always used a simple cleanser but wanted to even skin tone, texture issues. 

Has anyone tried this and think it's worth getting the "No Brainer Set"

I have combo skin (T-ZONE) and not sure if this would work well for me.

Re: Ordinary products? Are these worth it?

If you are ordering within Canada and want to buy The Ordinary kits there is a great site called Socialite Beauty. Sorry Sephora, but you don't offer kits!! They are comparable to Sephora prices. Sephora needs to offer kits like the ones offered on S.B. I would also like to see the other DECIUM brands, Hylamide and NIOD offered here as well. Would have saved me a ton of aggravation and searching online to find them, other than buying direct from Decium.

Anonymous Insider

I would also love to know about the ordinary products! I have been wanting to try the peel since I found out it was a dupe for Drunk Elephants baby facial. Seems like $80 is a lot to pay for that tiny bottle but has anyone tried the ordinary peel? 

I'm a little scared of facial peels in general, so no I haven't. But from my experience with The Ordinary products and their prices, what do you have to loose?

Hi, I am 49 and just (in  August) started out on The Ordinary as well as some of their mid and high end products, Hylamide and NIOD. These are all under the DECIUM umbrella of products and they are FAN- TAS-TIC!!! I had huge issues over this spring and early summer (just started out getting serious with a skincare routine), trying other products, some seriously expensive, looking for something to help my eye area, forehead lines, jowl area and neck. I spent hundreds on products (some I am still giving a go) that claim excellent benefits with continued use. Now, I know it takes time, but I often broke out from the scents, oils and other additives in these products (Lancôme, for instance). The eye creams would make my eyes continuously water until I finally would just wash it off. Some gave my horrible rashes to the point that my face became so sore, I could not even touch it. I did not over apply, or use more then directed. I think I just have very sensitive skin. 

I did some research, over a few days and came upon the DECIUM brands. So, I went on their website and researched some more. I bought a bunch of products, from Sephora and DECIUM.  When I laid it all out in front of me, I was so overwhelmed and confused as to what to use and when. So, back to the DECIUM site I went. You can email them and provide them with info on your skin concerns, even send pics of your face!! They will suggest a protocol to follow, both A.M. and P.M. They will suggest products from their other lines. Even the most expensive really is not THAT much when compared to other brands. Lancôme, Estee Lauder, Farmacy, Drunk Elephant all costs more for one product then an entire routine from The Ordinary.  I have been using them for a few months (almost) now and am so happy with the result so far.

If you want to leave behind all the additives and just put the "good stuff" on your skin, then this is it!! My advice would be to contact the DECIUM beauty advisors and send them pictures. Make sure to include all your concerns. If you stick with The Ordinary products, it won't cost anymore than $50-$75 for everything you would need and it will last at least 2 months, if not more. So, how can you go wrong? PLEASE make sure patch test all products on your upper, inner arm, opposite your armpit. I did, for 3 days in a row, day and evening. The last thing you want is to do damage to your face that may take months to heal! Go slow and don't introduce products too fast. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!! Best products I have ever used. 

Good luck on your journey to better, healthier skin!!

THE ORDINARY - Buffet,THE ORDINARY - Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5,THE ORDINARY - Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution,THE ORDINARY - Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG, THE ORDINARY - Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F (Vitamin C) THE ORDINARY - Granactive Retinoid* 2% Emulsion, The Ordinary NMF and also #The Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil. I also ordered, from The Bay (I am in Canada) the NIOD Eye Concentrate. It is a game changer for women with fine lines, crows feet and undereye wrinkles and dark circles. If I knew how, I woul7t7t7t post some before and now pics so you could see for yourself. Of course, I introduced these products over time. Also important to know, if you use  the Granactive Retinoid, to only use it 1-2 times a week to start out. DECIUM advisors gave me two night time routines to rotate through the week. I know you probably don't have the same concerns as me and sorry for posting so many of the products that I use, I just got carried away!!

As the previous replies have already mentioned, TO is a great brand to try and get started with skincare, since their ingredients are straight to the point and you aren't breaking the bank by buying their products. I personally love TO, but some of their products just haven't really done much for me. Personally, I recommend trying The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL to try and even out your skin texture/tone. However, make sure you're implementing the products slowly, one at a time so your skin doesn't freak out (especially since you've had a simple routine for so long). 

Ordinary products? Are these worth it?

yes. I feel they're great!!! plus they're such a great price...the ordinary website is super helpful what what to mix and what not plus all products.

Trying The Ordinary is a good way to figure out which ingredients react well to your skin and which ones don't, because their products are simply and the price point is low. I think people tend to jump waaaayyy too far into the products all at once, because of how cheap it is, so I really recommend you patch test and try things out one at a time! (This is how I figured out that my skin HATES castor oil).

It's also worth noting that jumping into things like actives (AHA, BHA, etc) can ruin your moisture barrier if you don't balance it out or if you use it too often. The best advice I can give is to go slow and steady when trying new things, ALWAYS moisturize (I use their moisturizing factors), and you can even email The Ordinary if you want help building a solid routine based on their expert advice 🙂

For a specific recommendation for texture, I use The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

@ChezConnoisseur i have combo skin (oily tzone, seasonal dry patches on cheeks). It’s known to be acne prone in the past, and is pretty sensitive (a lovely combination, I know!). I’ve been using the ordinary products because they’re affordable, the ingredient list is short, and I like the no-nonsense approach to skincare. After becoming very sensitive and reactive all at once, most of my “fancy” skincare was out of the question.. who knew so many irritants existed?? Anyways... the no brainer kit isn’t available in Canada so I don’t know what products are in that one. What I will suggest though is not to buy them bundled. The beauty of the ordinary is that you can mix and match products to suit your specific needs. I use the The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL (the 5% LA version too), The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane 1 oz/ 30 mL, The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% 1 oz/ 30 mL, The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL and the The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL. When I run out of current products, I want to try the THE ORDINARY - Squalane Cleanser and the The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing