Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Ole Henrikson Truth Serum: Has it made your skin oily?

I have normal skin that is a little on the dull side during winter, so I just started using Truth Serum. By late afternoon, though, I've noticed that my skin looks shinier, as though the serum is increasing oil production. This happens whether or not I'm wearing any makeup. I don't generally have a problem with this--if anything, my skin will generally look more dull and dry by the end of the day, rather than getting oilier. Has anyone else experienced this with this product? Would Vitamin C serums increase oil production? 

Re: Ole Henrikson Truth Serum: Has it made your skin oily?

I don't know if it explicitly increases oil production, but the purpose of Vitamin C is to increase cell turnover rate, so for example, if you generally get breakouts/oily in your t-zone, expect to see new breakouts in that area when you start using the Vit C because it will essentially accelerate the cycle of starting with a clogged pore with oil to a new breakout... if that makes sense.

But also, when I first started using a chemical exfoliant on my face, I noticed my skin would get extremely shiny during the day, almost as if there was some sort of film over my face. And since Vit C increases cell turnover rate, in some ways you can regard it as an exfoliant (getting rid of old skin cells), so I think the two might be related. But it might also just be your skin getting used to the product. 

Also, to avoid the oily skin during the day, apply your Vit C serum at night (I only apply once a day, as I just recently started using this serum as well). I go heavier on the products at night because this is the time your skin starts to repair itself, and can take full advantage of the products it absorbs. 

I know I didn't really answer your question!

I have combination skin and have been using Truth Serum on and off (as in I buy a bottle, run out, try out some deluxe samples of other serums, repeat) for years and haven't noticed this problem. But then again, products can have different effects on different skin!

very true--glad it works for you 🙂 

I have tried a few of Ole's products such as the invigorating night treatment and oil control hydrator and both of them make my skin shinier for sure. It's just something about Ole's line of products (at least with my skin)... I think part of it is that they do not sink in all the way? I like Ole products yet they can dry a bit tacky (his eye gel) and rub off (eye gel and hydrator.) I would say with the hydrator and serum they did not make my skin oilier...if anything they helped clear up my acne.

For me the ole sheer transformation moisturizer has never agreed with my skin and may have made me break out so who knows....could be the truth serum is causing oiliness as well as the shine. I have it in my ole sets but never got round to trying it yet. Hope that helps ☺

Agreed, I think the fact that they don't sink into my skin all the way too might be the culprit! I notice that when I wash my face at night, it's all still there--and kind of hard to rinse off. 

RE: Ole Henrikson Truth Serum: Has it made your skin oily?

I had been using DE vitamin C and had a small size of the truth serum so I decided to give it a try when I ran out.. I have had a similar experience with my skin becoming more oily while using truth serum. I wanted to love truth serum so badly.. back to DE I go.

@mmck07 I haven't had the problem either.  How long have you been using it?

Just about a week

I have normal skin and haven’t had that issue with Truth serum.

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing