Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

No Tatcha in Japan...hmm

I'm a US citizen in Osaka right now and am a little surprised that Tatcha products are made in Japan, but not actually sold here. Like, at all. Shisheido and other local brands are everywhere as you would expect. Anyone know why Tatcha is not marketed here?

RE: No Tatcha in Japan...hmm

Tatcha is an American brand but Japanese-inspired. The founder learned the best ingredients from Japan and started the company in America. Yeah I know, it SHOULD be in Japan too since it’s Japanese-inspired. Unfortunately Tatcha isn’t a Japanese brand.

@Alexiana thanks for the info

Following

Re: RE: No Tatcha in Japan...hmm

Tatcha is actually an American company created by an American. Their entire marketing is based on the appropriation and exoticization of geishas and takes advantage of the lack of Japanese cultural knowledge the rest of the world has. They probably know that their marketing story won't be received well in Japan, which is why their products aren't sold there. 

Anonymous Insider

Thank you for speaking up about this. I live in Japan now too and only learned about Tatcha like minutes ago. You don't even really see any sign of American skincare products out here because compared to the quality and features of Japanese skincare, US skincare just doesn't even hold a spot. If anything, you see more European brands and Korean brands to compete with their Japanese equivalents. There are way more and more American brands appropriating other cultures(specifically Asian beauty culture) for their own ridiculously lucrative profits. A gua sha isn't supposed to cost $20 or even $30. You can just pick it up for $3 on the street of Taiwan. 

Could u  recmmend some "actual" good Japenese brands that r sold in the US? Or even lnes sold from Japan I could find online...plz

- Shiseido

- Sk2

- Cle de peau beaute

- Boscia(fancl in Japan)

- HABA cosmetics

- Shu Uemura

Above are Japanese cosmetic companies you can easily purchase in the US. Please check them out.

That's for this info! Going to look these brands up right now. 

This is true. There are plenty of great Japanese brands. Tatcha is American.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 52 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing